ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Reds roster

Krazzy

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2013
This is something I posted in my Reds Minor Leagues Facebook group.

$69,814,000 if my math is correct. This includes Mike Moustakas’s salary. I think he will be gone by opening day. It does not include Matt Reynolds. Reynolds will either make the active roster and make 720K or be DFAd. I would bet he is DFAd.

Some are saying that only the active, 26 man, roster counts toward the payroll numbers. I’m not sure so I will give you that number too. 68,940,000 Just a little less than a million so it don’t really matter.

Looks like we may have up to 40M to spend. Last years opening day payroll was about 110-120 million. Even after Winker, Suarez and Gray were traded. because they could have that much to spend, don’t mean they will spend it. We really don’t have that many holes to fill.

1B- LH, Joey Votto, 25M

2B- RH, Jonathan India, 720K

SS- RH, Jose Barrero, 720K

3B. RH Spencer Steer. 720K

C- RH Tyler Stephenson, 720K

C- Luke Maile 1.175M

There was a reason Farmer was traded. Look for the Reds to give Barrero another chance to earn the SS job. Newman was brought in as insurance.

RF-

CF- RH Nick Senzel, 2.2N (est)

LF-LH Jake Fraley. 720K

The outfield is where some money could be spent

Utility- RH Kevin Newman 2.8M (est)

Utility- SH Alejo Lopez 720K

Utility- LH TJ Friedl. 720K

Utility- RH Nic Solac 720K

SP- Hunter Greene, 720K

SP- Nick Lodolo, 720K

SP- Graham Ashcraft, 720K

SP-

SP- Justin Dunn 1.1M (est) or Connor Overton, 720K or Lewis Cessa 2.6M (est)

Probably add one starting pitcher and let Cessa, Dunn and Overton fight it out for the other starter. Could flip him at the deadline and give Williamson, Stoudt and Abbot more time to get ready.

If Dunn or Cessa don’t get the starting spot, I think they move to the bullpen. If Overton don’t get it, I think he goes to Louisville to keep him stretched out.

RP- Tejay Antone, 800K (est)

RP- Lucas Simms, 1.3M (est)

RP- Alexis Diaz, 720K

RP- Tony Santillan, 720K

RP- Reiver SanMartin, 720K

RP-Ian Gibaut, 720K (0 options)

RP-Buck Farmer 1.725M

RP- Cessa or Dunn

I don’t see any room to add a reliever except to Louisville for depth.

Could potentially add a reliever next week in the rule 5 draft.

Others on the 40 man roster but not on the Active roster.

Vlad Gutierrez (IL) 720K

Joel Khunel. 117K

Fernando Cruz. 117K

Ricky Karcher. 58K

Casey Legumina 58K

Lyon Richardson 58K

Levi Stoudt. 58K

Brandon Williamson 58K

Stuart Fairchild. 117K

Matt Reynolds $0.00 or 720K (0 options) can’t be sent to the minors so he will either be released or on the active roster. My guess would be that he’s DFAd

Elly De La Cruz. 58K

Noelvi Marte 58K

Mike Siani. 117K

Moustakis owed 18M plus 4M buyout. I think we cut him during Spring Training of maybe earlier

Griffey Jr. owed 3.6M deferred salary in 2023 and 2024 (not included in salary projection)

ADVERTISEMENT