ADVERTISEMENT

2021, who do we have coming back?

I think there is a stat out there that other than the true freshman all the other receivers combined had one P5 offer. Several are just not good enough bottom line!
Not true re P5 offers. Take Epps whose career has been curtailed by injury, Ali, Thomas, Dailey, Oliver. All had multiple P5 offers, granted not all from blue blood programs but offers none the less. Most were Big 10 or ACC offers. Only SEC offer I could find for that group was a Vandy offer for Thomas. No question this group has not produced, several reasons for that. But they did receive P5 offers.

I know we lose several people.
Basically everyone. Nobody is losing eligibility this year. Realistically several will move on no matter what. So practically speaking who will be be back? We won't know until summer. There is simply no way to answer this question. Several like Wilson and Duffy have indicated that they are moving on. Of course we won't know until next year gets here for sure. Others like Bohanna and Kinnard will likely be in the NFL, but again we won't know that for sure either.

Since this year doesn’t count, couldn’t the whole team technically come back?

Yeah, and the NCAA will likely (and might have already) relaxed the rule limiting teams to 85 schollies, total, but you have to figure this won’t be extended a full 5 years . . . and this rule (taken to its extreme) could have your whole true frosh class stick around 6 seasons.

Each school must annually renew each schollie, and so far as I know, the free Covid year will not stop U.K. and other schools from not renewing a ride, but the player has the transfer portal and keeps an extra year at other schools, if he wants it.

1. UK should take a pretty big hit on OL losing 4 starters (Young, Kinnard, Drake and Fortner)
2. DL should be 2nd biggest hit (losing Bohanna, Hoskins and Looney)....but we've got good young depth
3. Duffy probably goes....he's been a weapon...we'll likely miss him
4. Boogie at SLB will be a slight hit...best edge rusher
5. Ali is the next biggest hit IMO....he's not a top notch WR but he's by far the best on a pitiful bunch.
6. Echols is gone at DB....but we've got Dort and Kelvin coming back along with good youngster.
7. I guess you put Terry Wilson as a loss....but I just don't see a world that Gatewood/Allen don't improve upon what we get today out of our QB

We also lose Riggs, AJ Rose, Sawyer Smith, Davonte Robinson, and I'd imagine some more WR transfer...I just don't see these are hits to be honest.

Epps whose career has been curtailed by injury

When healthy I don't recall him doing anything of note, other than dropping balls and not fighting for 50/50 balls. He and Ali were basically the same player. Last year Ali showed some life thankfully. But if he's your top playmaker, you're in trouble.

Oliver could really help, but you could just tell last game he isn't healthy. I still don't recall hearing what's wrong with him. But it's clearly something

1. UK should take a pretty big hit on OL losing 4 starters (Young, Kinnard, Drake and Fortner)
2. DL should be 2nd biggest hit (losing Bohanna, Hoskins and Looney)....but we've got good young depth
3. Duffy probably goes....he's been a weapon...we'll likely miss him
4. Boogie at SLB will be a slight hit...best edge rusher
5. Ali is the next biggest hit IMO....he's not a top notch WR but he's by far the best on a pitiful bunch.
6. Echols is gone at DB....but we've got Dort and Kelvin coming back along with good youngster.
7. I guess you put Terry Wilson as a loss....but I just don't see a world that Gatewood/Allen don't improve upon what we get today out of our QB

We also lose Riggs, AJ Rose, Sawyer Smith, Davonte Robinson, and I'd imagine some more WR transfer...I just don't see these are hits to be honest.
1. I think your analysis would be incorrect for many of them due to the rule allowing them to have an extra year of elgibility. I think a couple of the OL guys come back. Kinnard is the most pro ready so I think he goes. Jackson is undersized for the NFL so I think he stays another year, possibly Young as well depending on his draft potential. Not sure about Fortner. but all in all, we may not have the turnover we thought we would have on the line which is a really good thing.

2. Bohanna is the most likely pro of the D-Line group. we may get another year of Hoskins and Looney if they want to improve their draft status.

3. Duffy's a goner, but hopefully he has some buddies in Australia that want to come replace him. He told Stoops he would actively help him find his replacement since we've had luck with the Aussies.

4. Not sure about Boogie, I think he goes.

5. Ali can stay and should. He's not going to the NFL, unless he just wants to give up football, he should return.

6. Echols will get a shot in the NFL.

7. Wilson will be gone as will Rose, just don't see him sticking around for another year even if its available to him. Can see Sawyer Smith maybe taking on a Grad assistant role.

1. I think your analysis would be incorrect for many of them due to the rule allowing them to have an extra year of elgibility. I think a couple of the OL guys come back. Kinnard is the most pro ready so I think he goes. Jackson is undersized for the NFL so I think he stays another year, possibly Young as well depending on his draft potential. Not sure about Fortner. but all in all, we may not have the turnover we thought we would have on the line which is a really good thing.

2. Bohanna is the most likely pro of the D-Line group. we may get another year of Hoskins and Looney if they want to improve their draft status.

3. Duffy's a goner, but hopefully he has some buddies in Australia that want to come replace him. He told Stoops he would actively help him find his replacement since we've had luck with the Aussies.

5. Ali can stay and should. He's not going to the NFL, unless he just wants to give up football, he should return.

7. Wilson will be gone as will Rose, just don't see him sticking around for another year even if its available to him. Can see Sawyer Smith maybe taking on a Grad assistant role.
7. Wouldn’t surprise me if Stoops/Gran begged Rose to come back . I’m only halfway joking .

To simplify by unit my opinions

QB obviously we have gatewood and beau so hopefully no drop off and ideally better

RB losing Rose but I think we are going to better a year older and McClain will help

WR losing Ali but if young guys improve could be a better unit

TE bring back Upshaw and Gates

Oline losing several key guys will definitely take a step back but we have several guys coming back who have played, if we really get lucky one of the seniors return

Dline losing several key guys but we have young guys who should be fine key will be getting even younger guys to step into reserve roles

LB only losing Boogie hopefully so should be a very good unit

DB losing Echols likely and Robinson but unit is crazy deep Tisdale is a stud and Dort was a good starter last year so again should be a strength

ST losing Duffy bringing in another Aussie

Overall the Defense should be better a year older barring unexpected losses, run game might take a step back so we need passing game to take up the slack

That’s my outlook dream scenario is a couple seniors come back in the trenches but we should be a 8-10 win team

I personally don't think many kids will come back to college that are Srs and playing and not injured. And if dudes come back (to which I don't think will be much for UK)....guys aren't going to sit the bench for longer and be happy....so you might lose underclassmen that are waiting their turn.

I personally don't think many kids will come back to college that are Srs and playing and not injured. And if dudes come back (to which I don't think will be much for UK)....guys aren't going to sit the bench for longer and be happy....so you might lose underclassmen that are waiting their turn.
Chance for upper classmen to work on advanced degrees on the university's dime.

Chance for upper classmen to work on advanced degrees on the university's dime.
There are some kids that value education that much....but it is a dwindling percentage of kids how value college degrees. And it's still a ton of work to be on a football team if you're not going to play or in a pathway to playing down the road.

I'd still put the number of Srs at UK that would come back for 2021 to maybe 2 or 3.

Reactions: mrschwump
ADVERTISEMENT