ADVERTISEMENT

2020 SEC East predictions from Athlon Sports

TuckyFB

All-SEC
Gold Member
Jun 21, 2016
EZC2lANWkAggx2I

Their "grouping" of #1 and #2 is correct; their "grouping" of #3 and #4 is correct and their "grouping" of #5, #6 and #7 is correct. Just don't ask me what is the order within each group. [winking]

Peace

Last edited:
I'd say the prediction is about right. There's a lot of questions in the air right now with Wilson and how he'll come back from a devastating injury. I'd say 7-5 right now as well with our schedule with a couple of toss-ups that could go either way. I see anything from 7-5 to 9-3.

Our uni's aren't that great outside of the fan-base and I wish we would bring back the Power K. You bring that back and people will love it even non-UK fans.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
Eastern Michigan - W
@ Florida - L but the past couple of years the game has been a toss up
Kent St - W
South Carolina - W
@ Auburn - L - big game for UK and Malzahn is the king of choking games he should win so this game could be a toss up
Eastern Illinois - W
Vandy - W
@ Mizzou - W
@ Tenn - L im going to put this down as a loss because outside of 2017, this is the game we don't show up for on the field, 2018 best team we've had in awhile and we go down there and play like amateurs.
Miss St - L Toss up and how good are they going to be in The Pirates first year but I would say its a loss right now
Georgia - L
@ Louisville - W I've seen nothing in the last couple of years (101-23) that would suggest UL will win next year

Last edited:
Miss St - L Toss up and how good are they going to be in The Pirates first year but I would say its a loss right now

The Pirate might pull a miracle, but failed to score more than 20 in his last 7 games against Washington, where line strength played a big role on both sides.

State has lost a lot to the NFL the last two seasons. We’ll find out if they were harboring enough young talent to replace them.

I could definitely see UGA coming up short. Frankly, I feel like it's obvious Kirby was misnamed as a child.

Why is that? 2 of the last 3 years the NC knocked us out of the playoffs and the 3rd year the runner up knocked us out. We were the underdog in each of those games, so it isn't like we blew games against an inferior team. In Kirby's 4 years he is 45-11 with 6 of those losses his first year. The last 3 he has averaged over 12 wins a season. It took Dabo 9 years to win his first NC, Saba took 11, Jumbo won his insige of 6, it took Mack 20 plus, but Kirby is suppose to win his quicker than any of those? Out of the 129 FBS schools only 3 would trade their success for what Kirby has accomplished his first 4 years. Maybe he wins it all, maybe he doesn't, but that is the goal every year and we have been in the conversation the last 3 years as late as December.

Kirby was also a cumLaude grad at a school that required their athletes to attend real classes.

I believe GA had a lot of key injuries last year. Dont know who their QB , but if good and they stay healthy they win. If UK can stay healthy i think we have as good a chance as any for second. Maybe first if Ga has some bad breaks. Hopefully we dont all die from Covid and can enjoy the season. I'M TOO YOUNG TOO DIE !

I, for one, am not sold on AU this year. Lost a ton on defense (which won several games for them last year) and not completely onboard with Nix as an above-average SEC QB. I know it's on the road but, the past few years, UK has been pretty good on the road when they've had a good team. I think UT is a team that's unfortunately on the rise (although their ceiling is lower than most UT fans would believe) so I think this year and maybe next we'll be on equal footing with them talent-wise. Need to win one or both of those. Of course, UT may lose some momentum if they have a mediocre year this year but most expect them to go 7-5 at least. MSU will not be very good this year. I think our physical dominance on both lines will reduce the Air Raid to a lot of 3-and-outs. Plus, they don't have the personnel to run it like they will in a few years when Leach recruits to his system.

I, for one, am not sold on AU this year. Lost a ton on defense (which won several games for them last year) and not completely onboard with Nix as an above-average SEC QB. I know it's on the road but, the past few years, UK has been pretty good on the road when they've had a good team. I think UT is a team that's unfortunately on the rise (although their ceiling is lower than most UT fans would believe) so I think this year and maybe next we'll be on equal footing with them talent-wise. Need to win one or both of those. Of course, UT may lose some momentum if they have a mediocre year this year but most expect them to go 7-5 at least. MSU will not be very good this year. I think our physical dominance on both lines will reduce the Air Raid to a lot of 3-and-outs. Plus, they don't have the personnel to run it like they will in a few years when Leach recruits to his system.

I think AU's offensive line looks a bit different this year as well.

When's the last time we won in Neyland? I don't think we will but I obviously hope I'm wrong.
I have no idea... but if we are healthy (no major injury to skill position), we win.
I’d put money on it, right

and to think... I was 70/30 on getting rid of Stoops; didn’t think he could do it after some of the poor schemes, staff turnovers and big blunders.
I don’t think any coach has “grown” more than him over the past few years. Lots of guys would have dug their heals in and drove us right back below mediocrity.

Lots of guys would have dug their heals in and drove us right back below mediocrity.

I think he dug his heels in and got it done his way.

He looks a whole lot smarter with effective line play on both sides of the ball.

There will always be subjective disagreements on play calls, and questions about time management. The end of the first half against Louisville would have drawn screams four years ago, but when you bury them in the 2nd half, no one remembers.

I believe GA had a lot of key injuries last year. Dont know who their QB , but if good and they stay healthy they win. If UK can stay healthy i think we have as good a chance as any for second. Maybe first if Ga has some bad breaks. Hopefully we dont all die from Covid and can enjoy the season. I'M TOO YOUNG TOO DIE !

Heard some things, or read is better word, our QB may be someone from out of the blue forb19. Not cut and dry it will be Newman.

Rivals ranking of recruiting classes the last four:

2017---- Georgia . . . . . 3rd
2018-----Georgia . . . . . 1st
2019-----Georgia . . . . . 1st
2020-----Georgia . . . . . 1st

We were the underdog in each of those games, so it isn't like we blew games against an inferior team.

Grumpy, I'm not anti-Georgia or Smart. If Kentucky can't climb the mountain of Georgia talent this year, I hope no one else does, so that the 6th SEC team can win a title since 1997.

Still, the emphasis of my posts was that old saying: "From those to whom much is given, much is expected."

If Georgia was defeated by a superior team last year, why was that team considered superior after the recruiting success Georgia has had?

As for this season, had Kentucky averaged 1.5 in 4 years of recruiting, I would have great hope for a title.

Auburn lost 4 starting offensive linemen plus a 5th one who started games. That’s productivity that can’t be replaced. The also are losing their leading rusher. Their defensive line will be replacing a good bit too

I think with our defense...we can exploit that new offensive line. With our offensive line, we can push them off the ball.

I think the swing games are Auburn and a UT team that Kentucky was better than last season...but couldn’t finish the job. Them losing their top 2 receivers will hurt their passing game. If we can score enough points, UT is a game we can and honestly should win.

Win those 2 and you have a very special season...

I remember a similar thread to this a year ago. These preseason mags are printed to make a profit, which means marketing to the largest audience. Most do not do much prospective research and rely mainly on last year's performance. Phil Steele is an exception, but all of them have trouble predicting performance at times.

We have a bunch of starters coming back. That really helps. But we need to beat Florida on the road in September to stake a claim in the division race.

Reactions: The-Hack

Grumpy, I'm not anti-Georgia or Smart. If Kentucky can't climb the mountain of Georgia talent this year, I hope no one else does, so that the 6th SEC team can win a title since 1997.

Still, the emphasis of my posts was that old saying: "From those to whom much is given, much is expected."

If Georgia was defeated by a superior team last year, why was that team considered superior after the recruiting success Georgia has had?

As for this season, had Kentucky averaged 1.5 in 4 years of recruiting, I would have great hope for a title.

Did you not watch them play? It should be obvious that the people doing the ranking of HS kids missed on Joe Burrow's, he played like a 6*.

One of those classes wasn't on that team, the lowest ranked class was our Jr class. But when all is said and done, we played the best team in the country in the SEC championship game, without our leading receiver and our leading rusher trying to play with an arm he couldn't lift. Wouldn't have changed the outcome, but closer more competitive game. We would have been competitive with the other 3 in the playoffs, maybe beat a couple,at full strength, but not at the end

Eastern Michigan - W
@ Florida - L but the past couple of years the game has been a toss up
Kent St - W
South Carolina - W
@ Auburn - L - big game for UK and Malzahn is the king of choking games he should win so this game could be a toss up
Eastern Illinois - W
Vandy - W
@ Mizzou - W
@ Tenn - L im going to put this down as a loss because outside of 2017, this is the game we don't show up for on the field, 2018 best team we've had in awhile and we go down there and play like amateurs.
Georgia - L
@ Louisville - W I've seen nothing in the last couple of years (101-23) that would suggest UL will win next year

Eastern Michigan - W
@ Florida - W
Kent St - W
South Carolina - W
@ Auburn - W
Eastern Illinois - W
Vandy - W
@ Mizzou - L
@ Tenn - W
Georgia - W
@ Louisville - W

Either we beat Mizzou and lose to UT or lose to Mizzou and beat UT. Worst part about beating UT would be Georgia being up for the game, but the weather advantage for that game at home will give us the advantage like it did in 06. If we win all three of those games, we might lose to UL from overlooking them

I'd say the prediction is about right. There's a lot of questions in the air right now with Wilson and how he'll come back from a devastating injury. I'd say 7-5 right now as well with our schedule with a couple of toss-ups that could go either way. I see anything from 7-5 to 9-3.

Our uni's aren't that great outside of the fan-base and I wish we would bring back the Power K. You bring that back and people will love it even non-UK fans.
And Alabamas uni's are good for 5th? UT's Puke orange and white 3rd.....ehhhhhh, ok.

Good point. Truth can be painful. We've had the players but we've been an OC away. Hopefully, Monken fixes that. This may be the best defense we have ever fielded and I'm hoping they hold the line while our offense finds itself.

I think we go 8-4. 7-5 if we blow a close game.

Georgia is legit, anyone say different is just hating. Their problem last year was at WR, pretty much made them one dimensional. So much inexperience. Well, those guys are a year older and wiser and played and learned as they went in tough, high stakes game action. That can only help.

Which i think is exactly why we win 8 this year. Our weak link has been WR for years. I think now, we have that problem some what solved. With Terry Wilson healthy and if he can stay upright, 9 wins is not off the table. I think Bryce Oliver will transform into a star. Don't sleep on the freshman Branham, he will be a very good one and I think produces his freshman year. Ditto with Sanders. We need Ali and Epps to finally put it all together, have shown glimpses. We have quality depth with a little unknown but talent is there where as before it was more or less a HOPE they would progress to SEC level. Drennen can also be counted as a WR, look for him to play a Bowden type role when he played WR, he will be a nightmare trying to keep up with out of the slot and even out of the backfield as a RB. Crumes and the other freshmen, a RS might be the best option.

Watch TW video on KSR ...think he's going to have a potential all conference type year!!!

Reactions: Girthang
Eastern Michigan - W
@ Florida - W
Kent St - W
South Carolina - W
@ Auburn - W
Eastern Illinois - W
Vandy - W
@ Mizzou - L
@ Tenn - W
Georgia - W
@ Louisville - W

Either we beat Mizzou and lose to UT or lose to Mizzou and beat UT. Worst part about beating UT would be Georgia being up for the game, but the weather advantage for that game at home will give us the advantage like it did in 06. If we win all three of those games, we might lose to UL from overlooking them

Damn, we gonna win the national title this year based on your predictions. lol

That's nice, but the games still have to be played with the best 11 on the field at a time. Most teams in this conference are consistently ranked ahead of everyone else and still lose games or have to scratch and claw to escape perennially lesser opponents by recruiting ranking. That's what's great about this conference

ADVERTISEMENT