ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Offense Next Year with Terry Wilson at QB

HoptownCat93

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2015
Ok, so I'm not a great football X's and O's guy...I need some football guys to tell me what the right strategy to be next season.

2014: We learned about the Wildcat (Jojo's version) and how it throws a defense off balance. We could just line up like that and push a team back...even when our line wasn't that strong.

2016: Once we lost Drew, we moved from a fast pace air-raid style...to a more conservative style where we line up and push the other team around. We ran...but had the deep ball threat. Explosive Boom.

2018: We really figured out that clock control and keeping the defense off the field could work...we had the running back and line to control the game...and the defense that got off the field quick.

2019: We tried to start out a bit faster with Terry because we weren't sure at running-back. But we finally figured out that we had to just run with Lynn to survive. But Lynn running was different....it wasn't like Benny/Jojo running up the middle...there were a lot more wrinkles to the offense that threw everyone off guard. It made the backfield better and again...helped the defense.

So in 2020? We lose Lynn....but return the same backfield, the great defense, and pretty all of the 2-deep in the O-Line.

I think we've evolved over the last 5 years and now we will survive again. Terry will be back...but injured. No one is expecting him to run it like Lynn....and no one is expecting the backfield to play like Benny....but I think the offense with Terry can be as dangerous if the right system falls into place.

Terry can't run it like Lynn every play....and coming off an injury I doubt they want him to risk those hits early. But, Terry was said to be the fastest player on the team. We still have the 3 really good backs coming in...and possibly another elite talent in Drennen(hopefully) coming in to play. THe line will be as physical. Terry will be able to add the ability to throw and throw accurately...but if we can run the ball and keep defenses loading the box like they were this year...that deep ball will be there all day.

I really see a lot of read option type stuff mixed in with wild-cat. But...I think AJ Rose can be a type of Lynn Bowden Wildcat as he does have former QB instincts...and Chris Rodriguez can be the Benny Snell/Kemp type Wildcat. And then there's Terry...fast as can be with the breakaway speed to get pick up 30-40 yards but also hit an open receiver.

And then transition that offense to an even higher level with Gatewood?

I’m certainly no x and o man myself, but it seems to me for the time Gran has been here we’ve adjusted on the fly with our offensive schemes. I suspect next season will be no different, and will depend upon how mobile and confident Wilson is. I think the offense will start out pretty conservative and after a couple games will open up if Terry is 100 percent.

I’m certainly no x and o man myself, but it seems to me for the time Gran has been here we’ve adjusted on the fly with our offensive schemes. I suspect next season will be no different, and will depend upon how mobile and confident Wilson is. I think the offense will start out pretty conservative and after a couple games will open up if Terry is 100 percent.

It will be opened up in game 2.

At the Swamp where TTW beat em last time!!!

OP makes some great points but I have to disagree with a few things:

1- I will gladly eat crow but AJ Rose is not in the same stratosphere as Bowden as far as athletic ability. Therefore I don’t see the Cats asking him for wildcat services in 2020. Rose is ground and pound and that’s fine but not suitable for wildcat IMO.

2- love Benny and he had success long term as a rusher for UK but in 2018 1450 yds 16 td’s and 6.4 a pop this team will be fine with rushing attack next year it will just look different. What I like about our rush attack going into 2020 is it will present multiple threats. Rose, as mentioned, brute that will run between tackles but not crazy break away speed. Smoke will run off the edge more and is more of a home run hitter. Rod I see as a hybrid of the two has nice speed and durability. Hopefully he holds onto the ball. Sans LB the rushing unit had 1800 yds 17td’s 6.2 per. So essentially replaced Benny but with different approach.

3 - Terry seems to be straight line fast. I am a little concerned about his cutting capability coming off knee surgery. What will help TW the most I think is his ability to read the ends on read option. If TW can manage to be accurate in the 8-12 yd range passing and hit on a few long balls (20-30+) that will keep defenses off their toes.

Again, just my opinion but the offense should look pretty different and be able to present multiple threats.

I agree with all, but definitely with Rembrandt. Terry threw the ball 26x in each of the games vs Toledo and EMU this yr. The offense was kinda balanced....still run biased. This sounds about right for me.

A few things though.
-Terry's injured leg is his lead leg.....not his push off leg. So, his throwing accuracy and power should not be affected too much. What will be affected is his acceleration. Then there is the unknown of mental status, rust, etc. I don't expect him to run as much.....and if the passing game is good enough coupled with our RB corps.....why would he run as much?

-Who is the chain mover? Can a guy like Clevan take over the slot and be a higher volume guy to move the chains? That would open up so much of the offense.

-Who is the explosive playmaker? Do we have a guy that can take a 3 yd reception to the house?

OP makes some great points but I have to disagree with a few things:

1- I will gladly eat crow but AJ Rose is not in the same stratosphere as Bowden as far as athletic ability. Therefore I don’t see the Cats asking him for wildcat services in 2020. Rose is ground and pound and that’s fine but not suitable for wildcat IMO.
Totally different players...but the look of the offense when he's wildcat.

Not athletically, but I'm saying the ability to read a defense....make the right hand-off....run an option type play. Remember...Lynn wasn't really effective in the wildcat early on either until we started running him at QB and let him practice more out of that set.

Like a Jojo Kemp or Benny Snell Wildcat? You know where that's going. Rose is more power, but don't forget he had some HUGE runs this year and even some last. Even has some ability in the passing game.

Lynn's effectiveness in the wildcat wasn't just athletic ability...it's that when he took the snap...he had the brain of a former QB. He knew he was going to run...but also could see some things a defense was bringing.

AJ Rose will not take 40-50 snaps a game as a wildcat. But maybe a 4-5 play drive or two...maybe a package. Just enough to keep a defense off balance.

That's my thing about the offense...just merging what's worked the last two years. The power run of the wildcat....the conservative play calling....the deep ball to stretch the defense....to Bowden type wildcat where it's a running back with QB knowledge.

I think we have the weapons...Terry adding in the passing threat with elite speed just takes it to another level.

1. Terry Wilson is not in the same league as Bowden as a runner. Even before the injury, Terry is straight line speed but not as good accelerating, cutbacks and he basically goes down on first contact. Lynn is a different runner in all aspects.
2. The one thing I loved in rushing attack that I hope we carry into next year were those option plays that had a pitch element to them.
- Run option that has Lynn as keeping or pitching to the RB that attacked the edges of the defense were huge plays
- The Two back sets were awesome as well...Dive option to CRod, then Lynn might keep it and then have pitch option to Smoke.

Those two plays I loved seeing them and we never ran those looks last year with Terry much. I hope we attack the edges with our run game more than just the common in between the tackles read options.

3. I think getting back to throwing a bit will really show off Keaton Upshaw at TE. That kid looked really good catching the ball. I think he'll be a matchup nightmare for UK next year and hope he can play off the running game in play action.

Ok, so I'm not a great football X's and O's guy...I need some football guys to tell me what the right strategy to be next season.

2014: We learned about the Wildcat (Jojo's version) and how it throws a defense off balance. We could just line up like that and push a team back...even when our line wasn't that strong.

2016: Once we lost Drew, we moved from a fast pace air-raid style...to a more conservative style where we line up and push the other team around. We ran...but had the deep ball threat. Explosive Boom.

2018: We really figured out that clock control and keeping the defense off the field could work...we had the running back and line to control the game...and the defense that got off the field quick.

2019: We tried to start out a bit faster with Terry because we weren't sure at running-back. But we finally figured out that we had to just run with Lynn to survive. But Lynn running was different....it wasn't like Benny/Jojo running up the middle...there were a lot more wrinkles to the offense that threw everyone off guard. It made the backfield better and again...helped the defense.

So in 2020? We lose Lynn....but return the same backfield, the great defense, and pretty all of the 2-deep in the O-Line.

I think we've evolved over the last 5 years and now we will survive again. Terry will be back...but injured. No one is expecting him to run it like Lynn....and no one is expecting the backfield to play like Benny....but I think the offense with Terry can be as dangerous if the right system falls into place.

Terry can't run it like Lynn every play....and coming off an injury I doubt they want him to risk those hits early. But, Terry was said to be the fastest player on the team. We still have the 3 really good backs coming in...and possibly another elite talent in Drennen(hopefully) coming in to play. THe line will be as physical. Terry will be able to add the ability to throw and throw accurately...but if we can run the ball and keep defenses loading the box like they were this year...that deep ball will be there all day.

I really see a lot of read option type stuff mixed in with wild-cat. But...I think AJ Rose can be a type of Lynn Bowden Wildcat as he does have former QB instincts...and Chris Rodriguez can be the Benny Snell/Kemp type Wildcat. And then there's Terry...fast as can be with the breakaway speed to get pick up 30-40 yards but also hit an open receiver.

And then transition that offense to an even higher level with Gatewood?
I didn't care for the balance that they settled on but I did love the new wrinkles that they installed with the triple option look. The running game was far more sophisticated than it was before Terry's injury. And there is no reason to get rid of it. Not only Terry but even Sawyer and Beau can run the system. With the non mobile QBs you would obviously dial down the emphasis on QB running plays much like Auburn has done with Bo Nix but it can still work for them. And it ended up being a better overall system as long as the fix the play calling balance issues. So they should keep the system the went to just build on it a balanced look.

Gran also needs to reexamine the positions. He pretty much treated all RBs the same which shouldn't be the case. He should designate a FB position and a HB position, and they are manned by different people. The FB would be the primary ball carrier and will mostly run vertical while the HB will be a mixed RB/WR position that you would run and throw with. If we get him Drennan would be a great choice for this spot along with Tisdale. Basically a slot receiver that will also get carries. We already tried to do that somewhat using Clevan Thomas but Clevan is more of a pure receiver and not a good choice for that spot. And it didn't work that well. However you put someone like Tisdale or Drennan there and it's a different story.

1. Terry Wilson is not in the same league as Bowden as a runner. Even before the injury, Terry is straight line speed but not as good accelerating, cutbacks and he basically goes down on first contact. Lynn is a different runner in all aspects.
2. The one thing I loved in rushing attack that I hope we carry into next year were those option plays that had a pitch element to them.
- Run option that has Lynn as keeping or pitching to the RB that attacked the edges of the defense were huge plays
- The Two back sets were awesome as well...Dive option to CRod, then Lynn might keep it and then have pitch option to Smoke.

Those two plays I loved seeing them and we never ran those looks last year with Terry much. I hope we attack the edges with our run game more than just the common in between the tackles read options.

3. I think getting back to throwing a bit will really show off Keaton Upshaw at TE. That kid looked really good catching the ball. I think he'll be a matchup nightmare for UK next year and hope he can play off the running game in play action.
CRod has 1000 yd potential. I like Upshaw too, think he'll be a major contributor once UK returns to a more traditional offense. I think TW's role will be managed closely in an effort to keep him healthy, in other words his running will be confined to escape/scramble stuff. Young WRs will have to contribute speed to the position. Sanders could be a big plus.

One thing that shouldn't be lost in this discussion is that Bowden was far better at the read option than TW...TW was not good in the read game in 18, did look to be figuring it out more in 19, but now will have the leg deal that could factor in to decisions.

Could also see some throws sail on him if he is worried about driving through the throw. I would also worry a bit about this - which is a shame bc he was best at throws over the middle, which is where you cannot afford to sail one.

He could also play with no fear/pain and roll like nothing ever happened. We will see.

TW has been walking on our sideline during games and looks great. Surgery these days nearly always ends up well unless there is an infection, or unless the player has had multiple surgeries on the same body part (Scalzo). I expect TW to be 100% physically by next summer. I don’t think taking hits next fall will present a physical problem. Football players have surgery, then rehab and get over it.

As Blue Raider said, the surgery was performed on TW’s stride leg, not on his base leg. This should be a plus in terms of his confidence and throwing mechanics, because his setup and balance should not be affected. I don’t expect TW to be rusty, since he will throw throughout the summer and participate in skellies. Missing spring practice is a problem, but the problem has more to do with playbook reps and familiarity with younger receivers than with being physically ready by August. TW will attend spring QB meetings and work with Coach Hinshaw, so the problems can be minimized.

TW is what he is. He has an NFL body, but he is still mastering mechanics and nuances of his craft. His sophomore season was more productive than Andre Woodson’s sophomore season, despite the fact that Woodson had the benefit of better receivers in 2005. It is a shame TW got hurt, but he still has a lot of upside. He will probably not be the SEC’s best QB. But he is 12-3 as a starter, has won an important bowl game, and will be surrounded next year by eight other returning offensive starters from another bowl team. We will be fine, and I expect to contend for real in the SEC East.

It's pretty iffy on getting Wilson back fully healthy. This injury is difficult for athletes to fully recover from. It seems to be worse for basketball players but its still a very long recovery period.

It's pretty iffy on getting Wilson back fully healthy. This injury is difficult for athletes to fully recover from. It seems to be worse for basketball players but its still a very long recovery period.
Yep - things are always getting better but this injury was called the NFL career killer...toughest lower body injury to come back from for football according to studies...worst return to play rate and for those who get back, many take a huge dip in production.

UK does have a great example of a positive outcome with Darius West though - he came back at a high level within a reasonable period of time.

It's pretty iffy on getting Wilson back fully healthy. This injury is difficult for athletes to fully recover from.
Evidently false, since the school has already publicly announced TW’s surgery was successful and they expect a full recovery by next summer.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
Yep - things are always getting better but this injury was called the NFL career killer...toughest lower body injury to come back from for football according to studies...worst return to play rate.
FWIW, many sports doctors have said the toughest lower body injuries to come back from are a full tear of an Achilles’ tendon (like Cousins had) or a break in the wall of the hip joint (like Tua has). I am not minimizing the injury TW has, but his doctors have already said he should fully recover and be 100% before next season. We should take what they said seriously and hope they are right about it.

Evidently false, since the school has already publicly announced TW’s surgery was successful and they expect a full recovery by next summer.
The same was said about Andre Roberson in the NBA. They expected him back last year...still no time table for his return.

FWIW, many sports doctors have said the toughest lower body injuries to come back from are a full tear of an Achilles’ tendon (like Cousins had) or a break in the wall of the hip joint (like Tua has). I am not minimizing the injury TW has, but his doctors have already said he should fully recover and be 100% before next season. We should take what they said seriously and hope they are right about it.
I do but the surgery is always going to be "successful". It's the rehab and how the knee reacts that is the problem. I sure hope TW has a 100% recovery.

Reactions: Uksportsguy5423
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...atellar-tendon-no-longer-a-career-death-knell

https://sportsnaut.com/2016/09/study-patellar-tendon-injuries-difficult-nfl-players-return/

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...sneaky-career-ruiner-the-torn-patellar-tendon

The achilles was a crucial one, but improvements have been made and players have returned from that to top form (see first article)...the patellar tendon improvements are lagging behind that a bit...but it is improving.

Again, UK has had a great success story with Darius West...but this is a tough football injury, very very tough.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I was going to post a similar thought. Wilson is coming off a pretty serious injury. I'm pretty sure he misses spring. Come summer, absolutely no guarantee he steps in where he was before the injury.

I suspect Bowden will go in the draft. The QB position may well be wide open...again. But the Cats return much of the O-line and several good RBs. Stoops is very comfortable with the "run the ball, play good defense" approach to the game. Cats have run the ball 65, 62, 57 and 62 per cent of the time the past 4 years. No reason to expect anything different next year is there?

Peace

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...atellar-tendon-no-longer-a-career-death-knell

https://sportsnaut.com/2016/09/study-patellar-tendon-injuries-difficult-nfl-players-return/

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...sneaky-career-ruiner-the-torn-patellar-tendon

The achilles was a crucial one, but improvements have been made and players have returned from that to top form (see first article)...the patellar tendon improvements are lagging behind that a bit...but it is improving.

Again, UK has had a great success story with Darius West...but this is a tough football injury, very very tough.
And again, I don’t see areason to suspect TW’s doctors are misleading him, or that UK is misleading us.

Last edited:
And again, I don’t seed a reason to suspect TW’s doctors are misleading him, or that UK is misleading us.
I don't quite follow what this means - not sure anyone has claimed UK or doctors are lying...I have no issue with anything they have said...many things are unknown at the moment as it is very early in recovery. A successful surgery =/= a return to 100% of ability pre-injury. I don't think anyone is misleading. I'll leave off with this:

And their careers were shortened overall significantly,” (Stephania) Bell said. “It’s not to say that one individual can’t come back and be phenomenal, but it’s telling you that the odds are against them in terms of returning to form.”

I wish him the best and most importantly, do not rush, as that is when you can injure something else and delay the return.

It isn't anecdotal I just didn't bother to list the research I've read. Player after player either don't come back or come back at a much lower effectiveness. You may want to read this.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ins-uncertain-but-wr-can-still-help-thegiants
Your surgical reference is Bleacher Reports?

Either TW will make it back, or else he won’t. His doctors say he will. We know he won’t participate in spring practice. That’s a given.

So let’s refrain from blind guessing and consider what we know. Stoops needs a QB for another bowl run in 2020. Obviously, he isn’t going to groom Sawyer Smith for the starting job. It won’t be Bowden. And if you don’t think TW will be ready, then you can’t possibly believe Scalzo will be ready after his second ACL repair on the same knee within nine months. We don’t know yet if Gatewood is coming, but I haven’t seen anyone seriously suggest Gatewood would be eligible to play at UK in 2020. So unless you believe Stoops will contemplate starting Walker Wood, Amani Gilmore, Beau Allen, or Kolby Langhi, then you would have agree Stoops must believe TW will be back. I really like Allen, but you don’t trust your best team, a legitimate SEC East contender, to a true freshman QB with Smith as the backup when there are other alternatives. This is how Stoops and his coaches make their livings and support their families. If they didn’t have good reasons to think TW will be back, they would be looking at juco QBs and grad transfers. But there has been no inkling of that at all.

So, for those reasons, I believe what they have said about TW’s recovery and availability. You can certainly believe otherwise. No worries.

Last edited:

Either TW will make it back, or else he won’t. His doctors say he will. We know he won’t participate in spring practice. That’s a given.

So let’s refrain from blind guessing and consider what we know. Stoops needs a QB for another bowl run in 2020. Obviously, he isn’t going to groom Sawyer Smith for the starting job. It won’t be Bowden. And if you don’t think TW will be ready, then you can’t possibly believe Scalzo will be ready after his second ACL repair on the same knee within nine months. We don’t know yet if Gatewood is coming, but I haven’t seen anyone seriously suggest Gatewood would be eligible to play at UK in 2020. So unless you believe Stoops will contemplate starting Walker Wood, Amani Gilmore, Beau Allen, or Kolby Langhi, then you would have agree Stoops must believe TW will be back. I really like Allen, but you don’t trust your best team, a legitimate SEC East contender, to a true freshman QB with Smith as a backup when there are other alternatives. This is how Stoops and his coaches make their livings and support their families. If they didn’t have good reasons to think TW will be back, they would be looking at juco QBs and grad transfers. There has been no inkling of that at all.

So, for those reasons, I believe what they have said about TW’s recovery and availability. You can certainly believe otherwise. No worries.
Did you bother to read it, all of it? If you had you'd have seen that the article refers to a study published in June '16 by the American Journal of Sports Medicine. Is that a good enough source for you? The bottom line is TW has a 50/50 chance of returning and even less of being 100%. I'm sure as time marches on the successes are becoming more frequent but don't underestimate just how terrible an injury TW is trying to bounce back from.

Last edited:

So let’s refrain from blind guessing and consider what we know. Stoops needs a QB for another bowl run in 2020. Obviously, he isn’t going to groom Sawyer Smith for the starting job. It won’t be Bowden. And if you don’t think TW will be ready, then you can’t possibly believe Scalzo will be ready after his second ACL repair on the same knee within nine months. We don’t know yet if Gatewood is coming, but I haven’t seen anyone seriously suggest Gatewood would be eligible to play at UK in 2020. So unless you believe Stoops will contemplate starting Walker Wood, Amani Gilmore, Beau Allen, or Kolby Langhi, then you would have agree Stoops must believe TW will be back. I really like Allen, but you don’t trust your best team, a legitimate SEC East contender, to a true freshman QB with Smith as the backup when there are other alternatives. This is how Stoops and his coaches make their livings and support their families. If they didn’t have good reasons to think TW will be back, they would be looking at juco QBs and grad transfers. But there has been no inkling of that at all.

Your point that they'd be looking for a JUCO if they didn't think TW will be ready is a big & good one. There's no one else listed they could trust to be ready carry the 2020 load. Thanks.

Reactions: SPECT imaging
Did you bother to read it, all of it? If you had you'd have seen that the article refers to a study published in June '16 by the American Journal of Sports Medicine. Is that a good enough source for you? The bottom line is TW has a 50/50 chance of returning and even less of being 100%. I'm sure as time marches on the successes are becoming more frequent but don't underestimate just how terrible an injury TW is trying to bounce back from.
Yes I did. The editorial board of the American Journal of Sports Medicine did not operate on TW and have not examined him. Surgery is not like baking a pie. Each injury is different. Now, don’t get nasty over a football injury. I didn’t do it. Did you read my response?

It still boils down to this. If anyone should be concerned about this, that would be Stoops, first and foremost. It is Stoops’ responsibility to field a successful football team. If TW can’t make it back, then Stoops doesn’t have a legitimate, experienced SEC QB to lead a team with lots of experienced starters returning from a bowl team. Aside from TW himself, the biggest loser in such a scenario would be Stoops. Has a grad transfer or a juco QB visited UK this fall? Evidently not. That means Stoops thinks TW will be back.

I can’t predict the 2020 outcome. Neither can you. But it is pretty clear that Stoops expects TW back, just like the university and TW’s doctors have said he will be back. I have no reason to believe they are misleading us or failing to manage the 2020 roster properly. But if you disagree, no worries. Happy Holidays.

Last edited:
Your point that they'd be looking for a JUCO if they didn't think TW will be ready is a big & good one. There's no one else listed they could trust to be ready carry the 2020 load. Thanks.
Thanks. Certainly makes sense to look at it that way.

Op says we survived with Lynn Bowden. Could you imagine LB at qb last year with Benny in the backfield?

I've said in other threads over the past couple of seasons that we have the personnel for a multiple run option offense.

I don't know if CMS or EG have had grand designs on that being the ultimate goal and direction for the offense, but that's how things have played out.

Our WRs and TE are better blockers or at the very least used for blocking more than pass-catching or even route running.

Our OL is pretty stout and has paved the way for high levels of run production.

Our RB stable is 3 deep...maybe four if Tisdale is special.

Our QB is athletic and seems to play well from the run and run option side of the offense.

TW at QB
Rose and Rod at RB
Smoke and Tis at the A and Z slots

That's a line-up tailor-made for flexbone/triple option football. However, we don't have anyone on staff with a background in that offense.

1. No one on our roster has Bowden's ability to plant and cut on a dime and make people miss...not AJ, or Terry. He was also amazing in his ball handling on the RPO...hopefully TW was paying attention at his ability to make the right reads.
2. However, TW is a capable enough runner and is certainly miles better as a passer than Lynn.
3. The biggest concern I have is our weakness at the receiver position. Folks, we weren't even getting consistently open against UT Martin's press coverage. That's a big red flag. Frankly, we have a bunch of guys that aren't very fast. Good blockers though...give them their props in that area. I've wanted to see what Tae Tae Crumes could do but the staff obviously thinks otherwise. I'm not sure I see many other options to stretch the field.

Agree defiantly different runners.

I was saying that as well about Upshaw I think he will be a real weapon.

I have had knee operation's and I can say what my time table was like. I am also old enough to be these guy's grandfather.. It took time to get past the pain, and I have a big threshold for pain. So if the guy's can go hard and fight off the pain it will go much faster. I know captain obvious, right?
I think TW will be ready, because he saw how much fun this team had and was going 100% every play. Obviously it will take a game or so before the rust gets knocked off. I just hope it is the first game cause UF is there for the taking..

GBB

Reactions: Rembrandt90
As someone that rehabs knee injuries on a daily basis.......for nearly 2 decades.....I have some insight.

1st - We have no way to know the extent of the damage. The size, location, direction of the tear.....etc, etc, etc. All have major impact on the recovery process.

2nd - Terry is a QB....he’s a mobile one, but he’s a QB. BY FAR, most of the studies where guys have taken yrs to get back (or suffer career ending) are positions that require a lot more mobility. RB, DB, WR......Darius West was a DB.

3rd - based off experience....especially over the last 5 yrs with medical advancement.....I would be shocked if Wilson isnt 80% or above by the start of next season. In fact in most cases athletes will be able to do quite a bit long before then. I know the staff said that he’ll miss the Spring season, but they were always gonna do this regardless of his progress. There was never any reason to rush. Now, that does not mean that he won’t be doing things. He’ll very likely be doing drills.....agility, conditioning, throwing, etc. He might even do some parts of practice....pass skeleton, etc.

An 80% or above Wilson is the best option we have at the moment. If Gatewood gets a waiver, then we’ll see.

As someone that rehabs knee injuries on a daily basis.......for nearly 2 decades.....I have some insight.

1st - We have no way to know the extent of the damage. The size, location, direction of the tear.....etc, etc, etc. All have major impact on the recovery process.

2nd - Terry is a QB....he’s a mobile one, but he’s a QB. BY FAR, most of the studies where guys have taken yrs to get back (or suffer career ending) are positions that require a lot more mobility. RB, DB, WR......Darius West was a DB.

3rd - based off experience....especially over the last 5 yrs with medical advancement.....I would be shocked if Wilson isnt 80% or above by the start of next season. In fact in most cases athletes will be able to do quite a bit long before then. I know the staff said that he’ll miss the Spring season, but they were always gonna do this regardless of his progress. There was never any reason to rush. Now, that does not mean that he won’t be doing things. He’ll very likely be doing drills.....agility, conditioning, throwing, etc. He might even do some parts of practice....pass skeleton, etc.

An 80% or above Wilson is the best option we have at the moment. If Gatewood gets a waiver, then we’ll see.
We had a kid blow out his knee as a wide receiver and the moment he was taken out of brace, he was placed onto the pedal machines. anything to get movement and blood flow back to the afflicted area. The hardest part about this, and I still have trouble with my ankle because I tore it to pieces, is this is a tendon. If it was a bone, then he'd be back after 2 or 3 months, no problem. Now that receiver did come back, and at one point of his senior year, did lead NCAA in receiving yards. You aren't allowed to touch QBs anyway during practice, so he'll be running skeleton drills, hoops, and individual drills (depends on how knee feels and ability at the time) pretty quickly. Getting him into 7 on 7 situations on a clock is going pay dividends on adjusting to the game speed again.

From this post, it is clearly evident that we are in big trouble at QB once again in 2020. First off, TW is a mid-level MAC talent, and will not take UK to where we want to be in the SEC - Ever. Add in that he had a major injury, and we have to look down the line. From there, we really, really, really need Allen to come in and absorb this offense and be ready to play. Wood and Gilmore are not going to play, as we learned when we badly needed a QB, both were a pass. Scalzo is injured...again. Not a good sign. He still gets a pass until we can see what he does in practice, and then on the field.......................With that in mind, we need a JUCO in 2020 at QB badly. Bowden staying another year would be a major coup for us. He could easily get his passing skills up to the minimal TW standards over a spring and summer, and his dynamic running with a little more passing threat mixed in would make us very formidable in 2020. Defense is going to be even better!!....................NEED QB HELP!!!!!!!!!

The biggest thing we need from TW is to avoid the turnovers. His passing will be a major step up from LB. His running game even if not even close to as good as LB will still be good enough to move the chains and keep extra eyes on him to open up the passing game. It's just in the past when he runs he breaks huge runs for first downs but the ball pops out at the end like he's holding a stick of butter. If he cuts down the fumbles and with our O-line and defense playing great and improving like I think they will (non professional opinion), I think we are in for another great year (9-10 wins )

From this post, it is clearly evident that we are in big trouble at QB once again in 2020. First off, TW is a mid-level MAC talent, and will not take UK to where we want to be in the SEC - Ever. Add in that he had a major injury, and we have to look down the line. From there, we really, really, really need Allen to come in and absorb this offense and be ready to play. Wood and Gilmore are not going to play, as we learned when we badly needed a QB, both were a pass. Scalzo is injured...again. Not a good sign. He still gets a pass until we can see what he does in practice, and then on the field.......................With that in mind, we need a JUCO in 2020 at QB badly. Bowden staying another year would be a major coup for us. He could easily get his passing skills up to the minimal TW standards over a spring and summer, and his dynamic running with a little more passing threat mixed in would make us very formidable in 2020. Defense is going to be even better!!....................NEED QB HELP!!!!!!!!!

TW a mid level MAC talented QB? lol

ADVERTISEMENT