ADVERTISEMENT

2018 U.S. Open at Shinnecock

Phils happened out of frustration. Tigers at Augusta was just a careless mistake. Both way overblown in my opinion. I think the shadiest thing I've seen is the gallery moving the boulder for Tiger early in his career.

I’m waiting for the PGA Tour to say something. The Open isn’t their event but I bet all members get something this week saying if they do it in a PGA Tour event rule 33-7 will be invoked.

Lol, give it up. It was not intentional. You just said it, he didn’t realize it. How can it be intentional when one does not realize it’s against the rules? Phil knew what he was doing, Tiger made a mistake and did not realize it was a rules violation.<===and for that matter all on the scene, most at home watching, rules official on hand, fans, players and caddies in the grouping didn’t realize it. It was a blunder but no intent. Fact.
Give it up man. Geez, almost every golf commentator all said it was blatant. He pretty much said he was trying to drop for better spot. It is the Masters as his long time world cup partner said, none other than David Duvall who is as close to Tiger as any competitor of their time. It was obvious and should have been disqualified. Guess what. Pro's know their divots, they know where they hit the shot from, Duvall and his peers all said he knew better and should be disqualified but Masters bought his logic.
Fair enough

The act can absolutely be intentional while not realizing it also is a rules violation. He intentionally dropped 2 yards back. He didn’t accidentally drop 2 yards back. It was planned. It was intentional. The ball didn’t fall out of his pocket. No idea how you can dispute that.

This would be correct. Tiger intentionally dropped 2 yards back and explained why in his interview which led to the entire fiasco. However, it is the feeling of most that he did so within his interpretation of the rules.

Thought the course became a joke on Saturday, and can't blame Phil for getting frustrated and showing his ass. Although it is a really bad look for a pro, he did not "cheat", i.e., he took an immediate 2 shot penalty and carded a 10 on the hole without complaint. Don't think anyone is going to try that move very often.

But . . . even though the course was awful on Saturday, on Sunday, the main contenders turned out to be Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka, Tommy Fleetwood, and Patrick Reed, or in order: The no. 1 player in the world, the current US Open Champ, the no. 1 player in Europe last season, and the current Master champ, so at the end of the day, the US Open identified a pretty stellar leader board and crowned a deserving champion.

Phils happened out of frustration. Tigers at Augusta was just a careless mistake. Both way overblown in my opinion. I think the shadiest thing I've seen is the gallery moving the boulder for Tiger early in his career.

Phil should have been DQ-ed. There was intent behind it, not an accidental hitting a moving ball. They invoked the wrong rule. Most anybody else would have been DQ-ed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Real Deal 2
The act can absolutely be intentional while not realizing it also is a rules violation. He intentionally dropped 2 yards back. He didn’t accidentally drop 2 yards back. It was planned. It was intentional. The ball didn’t fall out of his pocket. No idea how you can dispute that.
His argument is that he didn't intentionally break the rules, which you agreed with.

I don't think so. He saw what he thought was a hole in the rules, and has been thinking of doing this for a while. He took a dump on the rules of golf IMO.

Thought the course became a joke on Saturday, and can't blame Phil for getting frustrated and showing his ass. Although it is a really bad look for a pro, he did not "cheat", i.e., he took an immediate 2 shot penalty and carded a 10 on the hole without complaint. Don't think anyone is going to try that move very often.

But . . . even though the course was awful on Saturday, on Sunday, the main contenders turned out to be Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka, Tommy Fleetwood, and Patrick Reed, or in order: The no. 1 player in the world, the current US Open Champ, the no. 1 player in Europe last season, and the current Master champ, so at the end of the day, the US Open identified a pretty stellar leader board and crowned a deserving champion.
No disrespect because you are top notch as far as posters on here but I have to disagree.

Phil had no idea about that rule, he learned about rule when he met with USGA before signing card and them alerting him of 2 stroke penalty. He is savvy but no way I am buying that one. Not one pro or any other pro will buy that. USGA and Phil wanted to give him an out.
The reason I say that is that the scorekeeper who walks with group and posts score asked Phil what he scored, Phil is quoted as saying " Hell if I know, you can give me what you like"
The USGA did not want to DQ him and he be the story on Sunday. They wanted to ease the landing and throw this rule into effect. Every pro, every player who has played know the feeling of what he did, he is too great of champion and stature to do this. He should have been DQ, he should have never done. This is the 20 handicap stopping it before it goes into bunker or pond.

He cheated just like someone taking a drop in wrong spot or grounding club in sand or ball moves on green while putter grounded. No way to make excuses, he cheated and he did more to hurt his argument with interviews.
Phil has always been stand up but this was a terrible look by an all time great.

Reactions: Tskware
Phil didn’t cheat. He made a poor decision and decided to dig in instead of apologize. Saying he had thought about it in the past shows his intent to take advantage of a rule, which is not in the true spirit of the game. An immediate and sincere apology after the round could have gone a long way.

Reactions: treuxbleux
He cheated, he hit a moving ball which is illegal. He had no idea about that rule, not one pro I have read on twitter believes he knew this. He did not. Story coming out today is that the USGA huddled with him before signing card to say we are going to implement rule 14- whatever, it was CYA for both. Phi's rep could be salvaged as far as intent and USGA would not look bad DQ him and being the story after Rory, Tiger, Spieth not making cut and the talk of course being unfair. Good compromise.

He cheated. There is no rule that says you can hit a moving golf ball, none. He knew you could not do that. His frustration got best of him, I have always said he wanted to be DQ. He cheated

The thing most people don't realize is how close the margin is from "easy" to "unfair", and the unpredictability that goes along with that w/ regards to the weather. They don't set out to make it 'ridiculous' or 'easy'.

Erin Hills last year for example -- they set it up thinking wind...got none, and the guys made a mockery of it. I don't want my US Open winner shooting -16, we see that shit every week and these guys (along with the ball & technology) have basically made all classic golf courses obsolete.

I agree they have to do a better job, I'm no Mike Davis honk -- but I still prefer them erring on the side of difficult over the other. It's the US Open. Sunday was as boring as it gets.

The winner finished at +1, and with the exception of a few hours late Saturday the course was great.

Reactions: buckethead1978
The USGA refuses to let the course dictate the play...they have to tinker and tinker and put their own stamp on it. S-Cock is generally regarded as a naturally hard but fair course w/ a top 5 layout, but the USGA messed it up this time, as they have more often than not the last dozen or so events.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT