ADVERTISEMENT

2018 U.S. Open at Shinnecock

I like all the Fox golf and Golf Channel guys (even Chamblee) but they're acting like Phil murdered someone on the course today. Even Steve Sands is OUTRAGED. And of course that has-been Steve Elkington went ballistic on Twitter, then had a mini meltdown replying to people poking fun at his career. Just not a fan of that dude and his edgy social media persona. It's like he realized no one cares about him anymore so he invented an alter ego for attention.

It was Phil's birthday, he was out of contention and he didn't give a shit. Although he probably should've chalked it up to pure frustration and a "John Daly moment" rather than referencing some obscure rule he was trying to take advantage of.

Agree, the media making too much of this. How many times do we hear players dropping f-bombs and GD near live microphones and no one says squat. To me that’s just as bad and sets a bad look yet they’re not penalized for their conduct.

Df5HL-YUYAEYG_z
Df5HLmrUYAE7LNT

That was a terrible look. That is a terrible when you are playing with your buds on a Saturday much less a HOFer and 5 time major winner.
It is about as bad a look since Tiger's illegal drop at the Masters which was obvious to most pro's and golfers as a cheating move.

These ass bags in the NY area that try to be funny with comments are the worst. No more Majors or Ryder cups until these wise guys learn to be quiet and act a little grown up, the USA chants, the silly comments. It is so NY wise guy stuff. This is a US Open and not a Ryder cup.
No more tourney's there until they can grow up.

Reactions: kev69
Do we really need the sound effect of the putter hitting the ball and the ball landing in the bottom of the cup? Really?!?! What has Fox done put Bluetooth microphones on the putter heads and in the cups?!?!

Do we really need the sound effect of the putter hitting the ball and the ball landing in the bottom of the cup? Really?!?! What has Fox done put Bluetooth microphones on the putter heads and in the cups?!?!
216 microphones being used by Fox. That averages out to 12 a hole. Is that really necessary?

Fox probably wishes they had one less that didn’t pick up that guy talking about his sexual adventures that were aired live.:smiley:

No one and I mean no one hopes the wind picks up to 50 mph and the greens dry rock hard more than Tommy F'ing Fleetwood.

Last edited:
That was a terrible look. That is a terrible when you are playing with your buds on a Saturday much less a HOFer and 5 time major winner.
It is about as bad a look since Tiger's illegal drop at the Masters which was obvious to most pro's and golfers as a cheating move.

These ass bags in the NY area that try to be funny with comments are the worst. No more Majors or Ryder cups until these wise guys learn to be quiet and act a little grown up, the USA chants, the silly comments. It is so NY wise guy stuff. This is a US Open and not a Ryder cup.
Tigers bone headed drop was not intentional. You don’t think you can get away with drop like that in front of millions. He was flustered and screwed up but he did not have intent. Phil had intent.

The stupid yelling of phrases, (baba booey mashed potatoes, etc) after every T shot is pissing me off trying to watch this. Love this tourney, even more than the masters, but the masters does it best and kicks the douche bags off the course for yelling stupid crap. Actually would like to see that done every week at every tournament. Getting older I know, but damn I can’t stand stupidity!!!!!!

Reactions: BlueThruAndThru
The stupid yelling of phrases, (baba booey mashed potatoes, etc) after every T shot is pissing me off trying to watch this. Love this tourney, even more than the masters, but the masters does it best and kicks the douche bags off the course for yelling stupid crap. Actually would like to see that done every week at every tournament. Getting older I know, but damn I can’t stand stupidity!!!!!!
“Nice shot, chubby” after Patrick Reed’s shot on 17th tee.

Tigers bone headed drop was not intentional. You don’t think you can get away with drop like that in front of millions. He was flustered and screwed up but he did not have intent. Phil had intent.

Yeah... it was. He intentionally went back further than allowed and said as much. He may have forgotten about the rule but the action was intentional.

Awesome tournament. If you don’t like Koepka, you don’t like anyone. Solid dude, and the first to go back to back in almost 30 years. Cool stuff.

As far as Lefty yesterday, not a great look for him, but he’s owed a mulligan after all the good will he’s built up.

Hell, Tiger’s still considered a God, and he’s cheated on his wife, cursed numerous times with the mic on him, slammed clubs, and acted like a petulant child. I don’t remember the press going off on him for any of these transgressions.

Yeah... it was. He intentionally went back further than allowed and said as much. He may have forgotten about the rule but the action was intentional.
He said as much but it was not intentional. No one even noticed until he said something, his statement alerted everyone to his mistake. It was absolutely not intentional.

He said as much but it was not intentional. No one even noticed until he said something, his statement alerted everyone to his mistake. It was absolutely not intentional.
He didn’t report it, a golf pro setting at home called it in.

^ No shit but he admitted it in the interview.

“Woods made an illegal drop during the second round. This is inarguable. It's inarguable because Woods admitted during his post-round interviews Friday that he dropped the ball "2 yards further back" than the original divot made while hitting his third shot on the par-5 15th hole. You can't do that.

Except that Woods didn't realize he had done anything wrong. Nor did his playing partners. Nor, apparently, did the rules official assigned to the hole. Nor did the rules committee, which reviewed a TV viewer call-in and took a pass. Nor did any of us geniuses in the media.

Woods is many things, but he wouldn't take a crowbar to his Masters chances by intentionally violating the rules of golf (seemingly all 10 million of them). He obviously doesn't know all the rules, but nobody can really think he was purposely trying to pull a fast one on worldwide television -- and then brag about it in a post-round presser, right?”

In no way shape or form was it ever intentional.

“Goosen, Pavin, Floyd, Foulis have won previous US Opens played here.”

I’m not picking any of those guys!

Is there really a favorite this year? Nobody has stepped up and made you say I got to pick him.

Spieth: if his putter returns but he missed the cut last week.

DJ: doesn’t seem on top of his game right now.

Thomas: could be a good pick. He’s been a little quiet lately but could be because he’s gearing up for Shinnecock.

I’m going it go with a trifecta of picks. Rory, Rickie and Koepka. I’ll take those 3 versus the field.

I picked 3. The winner, a middle of the pack and missed cut. But I picked the first back to back champion since Grumpy Strange.

Reactions: cawoodsct
But they weren't playing the same course as the USGA started the course dry intentionally & it only got drier meaning the early guys had it softer/easier. Probably best playing 2-3 hours in front of leaders today to get a lower score than they can.
Fleetwood's "almost" doing this only counts in horseshoes.

The act was absolutely, 100% intentional. He intentionally took a drop that was against the rules. In the moment, did he realize it was against the rules? Probably not. But it was still an intentional act and against the rules.

Reactions: Real Deal 2
Lol, give it up. It was not intentional. You just said it, he didn’t realize it. How can it be intentional when one does not realize it’s against the rules? Phil knew what he was doing, Tiger made a mistake and did not realize it was a rules violation.<===and for that matter all on the scene, most at home watching, rules official on hand, fans, players and caddies in the grouping didn’t realize it. It was a blunder but no intent. Fact.

Last edited:
How can it be intentional when one does not realize it’s against the rules?

The act can absolutely be intentional while not realizing it also is a rules violation. He intentionally dropped 2 yards back. He didn’t accidentally drop 2 yards back. It was planned. It was intentional. The ball didn’t fall out of his pocket. No idea how you can dispute that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT