Texas A&M - W
Vanderbilt - W
Missouri - W
Georgia - L
Tennessee - L
MTSU - W
Louisville - L

7-5, 4-4

As much as I want to pick a win over UF, I just can't do it. If it ever happens, I think it'll have to be like the UMBC upset over Virginia (domination/blowout) or like the 2011 victory over UT (just a weird game).

So a team that went 4 4 in league play last two years will go 1 7 even though we return more talent than in my lifetime? Alrighty then

You can't go off last year's results, everyone has different teams, quite a few have different coaches especially on UK's schedule. UT went 6-2 in 16, went 0-8 in 17. UK had 2 big question marks entering spring practice, neither appeared to be answered in the spring game, But everyone has question marks that weren't answered in spring practice. UK and UF probably return the most experience, with all the suspended players returning, but both have huge question marks at QB. UGA returns quite a few starters on offense including the QB, but must replace a dynamic, defense has to replace 6 starters including one of the country's best at his spot, team will be very young in 2 deep, over half of 2 deep with be frosh and soph. UT is looking for a QB and defensive improvement, Missouri returns maybe the conference's top QB and receiving TE, but must replace some very good receivers and play better defense. Vendy returns a QB but must replace their all time leading rusher and improve defense, Carolina returns much of their offense, a solid QB and the East's best group of WR, but must improve defensively and RB has to produce, UF has to find a QB and not the rust off a large group who missed last season, if the 2 transfers are eligible their WR corp could be the divisions best. From the West both have new coaches, one proven the other not, if A&M buys into Fisher, they could be number 2 in the West, State has a new coach, if he can turn Fitzgerald into an average passer they could be dangerous, but they will have a tough defensive front.

Right now every team is looking at the season and picking teams as 100% wins, even UT fans are predicting 8-4, I am as hopeful as anyone, but the season we had last year will be hard to duplicate,but if we can get by the first 3-4 games who knows, I think UGA will be much better from midseason on till the end of the year.

Nothing like fellow, but overly optimistic UK football fans, who get riled up when someone forecasts a outcome that is not as cheery as theirs. To be sure, I hope I’m wrong. I would love to see them go undefeated. However, I’ve been attending UK games since 1958. I’ve been hoping for better for the better part of 7 decades. Blanton Collier was our coach then. He was also the last UK coach to win more games than he lost during his tenure. Since 1962, UK has had 10 different UK head coaches including Stoops. None has an overall winning record. Even with progress in recruiting Stoops has made since Joker was fired, UK, at best is 10th in the SEC.

As far as “likes” are concerned, (I have to laugh at this comment), more than 10,000 of my posts were on the old board where there were no “like” options. I’ve not posted as much inthe last several years. Obviously, being “liked” to you is every important. If you need and seek out likes so be it. Seeking out the approval from others on a mere message board has never been one of my life ambitions.

Again, I hope UK wins at least 9 games this season. Then, I will be pleased to return to your post and “like” it with great enthusiasm.

Collier was a great coach, AND he had a great staff here, went on to win an NFL title. BUT he won more than he lost his first three years as our HC (before Bears talent ran out) BUT had a losing record from that point on. Of course the stupid legislature handicapped recruiting about that time also no doubt had an effect.

I think you are too pessimistic, we have more STARS, with more players that could play in the SEC, more depth, and more young players ready to start making a mark than we have had since Curci cheated-------and he did have a couple of great years-------for us. If our QB takes off this year I think the team will too------and I like those chances also.

Collier was a great coach, AND he had a great staff here, went on to win an NFL title. BUT he won more than he lost his first three years as our HC (before Bears talent ran out) BUT had a losing record from that point on. Of course the stupid legislature handicapped recruiting about that time also no doubt had an effect.

I think you are too pessimistic, we have more STARS, with more players that could play in the SEC, more depth, and more young players ready to start making a mark than we have had since Curci cheated-------and he did have a couple of great years-------for us. If our QB takes off this year I think the team will too------and I like those chances also.

As i said, I hope I’m wrong but if, “ifs and buts were candy and nuts we all would have a Merry Christmas”. UK football has an all time losing record since it started playing the sport. More importantly, for the same reason some SEC schools will always be mediocre at best in basketball so it is with UK in football, if not more so; It’s comparative recruiting. While its true we may be getting players with more “stars” than we’ve gotten in previous years, UK is still in the bottom 3 or 4 of the SEC every year when it comes to the comparative talent coming to our program. It takes better players to win and we don’t measure up to the majority of the teams we play in the SEC. The historical facts suppprt this conclusion. However, this reality won’t deter me from cheering for UK in every game. Notwithstanding the facts, I keep hoping for a miracle but in my mind I know it’s not likely to happen.

Last edited:
History shows UK football winning percentage thru Bryant’s last year,1953, was 68%, since Bryant left went down to 42% winning percentage,overall now ,49.1 % ! Rupp and basketball became the only “game” in Kentucky,and the resources were directed there and away from football. Logically,UK football sucked, and has mostly for the last 65 years! You get what you pay for,and football wasn’t being paid for. So here we are today,facing this uphill climb,since finally there has been more resources” granted” to football!

Reactions: sluggercatfan
6-6/7-5.. Hard to say till Game 1 to see what the Team Looks like...
But,If we don’t look good al lot of the posters will just say we are just being “vanilla, not showing our hand, etc..” “just wait and have patience”
Wash, rinse and repeat...hoping for different this year

People are sleeping on this team, I think this could be UK's best season since 1984

Reactions: RV2
Got a bad feeling about this season. I sincerely hope I'm wrong as I've enough misery over the last 40+ years.

What gives you a bad feeling and what gives me a good feeling is being a Kentucky football fan! I am usually very pessimistic but I don't know I just have a feeling this is the year we hit that 8-9 win plateau.

We almost hit it last year and we have two 4 star QB's on the roster, I am really excited about the dynamic Terry Wilson gives us with the RPO. The defense will be the best UK has had in a long time. Solid up the middle, the only thing that scares me is depth if there are a couple of injuries. I think with potentially 5-7 draft picks most on defense would be a huge disappointment to have a bad season.

History shows UK football winning percentage thru Bryant’s last year,1953, was 68%, since Bryant left went down to 42% winning percentage,overall now ,49.1 % ! Rupp and basketball became the only “game” in Kentucky,and the resources were directed there and away from football. Logically,UK football sucked, and has mostly for the last 65 years! You get what you pay for,and football wasn’t being paid for. So here we are today,facing this uphill climb,since finally there has been more resources” granted” to football!

The financial and facilities arms race for football is insane. Carolina was bottom of the conference for a long time and finally got the memo. Money was put into a training facility, weight room, and locker rooms and that wasn’t enough. Built an academic support center, new indoor facility and are almost done with a new football operations center. The problem is once you “catch up” you are behind because someone in the conference has gone newer, bigger, and better.

As i said, I hope I’m wrong but if, “ifs and buts were candy and nuts we all would have a Merry Christmas”. UK football has an all time losing record since it started playing the sport. More importantly, for the same reason some SEC schools will always be mediocre at best in basketball so it is with UK in football, if not more so; It’s comparative recruiting. While its true we may be getting players with more “stars” than we’ve gotten in previous years, UK is still in the bottom 3 or 4 of the SEC every year when it comes to the comparative talent coming to our program. It takes better players to win and we don’t measure up to the majority of the teams we play in the SEC. The historical facts suppprt this conclusion. However, this reality won’t deter me from cheering for UK in every game. Notwithstanding the facts, I keep hoping for a miracle but in my mind I know it’s not likely to happen.

The historical facts say that except for a few isolated incidents UK football has had terrible support for football compared to the extravagant support for basketball, even though it has cleared more money for quite a while now. The strike AND losing 20,000 season tickets, along with the FLOOD of money from the SEC, PRIMARILY due to OTHER teams football programs, has changed that a lot.

Still a lot to be done, like a measly 5% of Stoops buyout to take us from a mediocre LEGAL COA payment to our athletes to the highest, about the same as the two nearby city colleges that have such a high cost of living.

Or an equally measly 12% of his salary each year, do you think you could squeak by on $3,500,000 a year? Stupid is as stupid does, IMO that would bring in enough new talent that he would end up with more money than he gets now. Probably closer to 5% of their salaries if all the staff wanted to sacrifice a little to improve their talent.

Not that simple, but Bama did it in about a day, and how much does their football program clear each year? We are already reaping a lot of benefits from getting rid of that abomination they called a "recruiting room" that they actually used for about 15 years.

We are not beating......UF, MISS ST, UT, UGA, SCAR, A&M, MIZZOU, NOR UL.

again, SCAR, MIZZOU passed us by light years. MISS ST was a no contest embarrassment, UT AND UF will be at their home.....nope, UGA, lol nope, UL reamed US at home. This team gave up in the end and got worse as SCAR, AND MIZZOU surged ahead.
It's not so much our talent even though that's not good enough, it's the coach.
Watch and learn this year. If he didn't get it in year 5 he is not getting it.

Haven’t heard from Jbapp of late, either.

We could take the old Hank, Sr. song about the wooden Indian to call out “E EEE. . . . LIII . . . JAAH . . . . “

Jbapp78 yea he was always telling everyone how much he knew about the game. How he played at the College level.

Dude was always wrong. Think he deleted his account. Sure he has multiple user names.

Last edited:
Yeah, Jbapp played ball, he claimed, in Paducah.

He hasn’t played here since July!!!

Well, to be fair, most predictions were not far off from where we actually find ourselves except for the ones that were so negative they practically dripped with cynicism. Starting tomorrow we'll see how correct or incorrect the more optimistic predictions prove to be going forward.

Anyone want to change their predictions?

Reactions: CGblue
Well, to be fair, most predictions were not far off from where we actually find ourselves except for the ones that were so negative they practically dripped with cynicism. Starting tomorrow we'll see how correct or incorrect the more optimistic predictions prove to be going forward.

Anyone want to change their predictions?

I said 8-4, with a 5-3 SEC slate and a loss at Louisville. I would have to flip the Louisville game, and add 1 win to the SEC slate, leaving us 10-2 for the season.

Reactions: RV2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT