ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Roster Projection

Apr 22, 2006
With most of the draft decision done I have been trying to figure out how we'll line up next season. I'm really excited and think with Lewis back we will have one of the best pitching staffs in the league. Here's what I am thinking for next year, and wanted to see what others were expecting.

C - Squires
1B - Collett
2B - Becker
SS - Dawson/Polcovich
3B - Tyler Marshall
LF - Ryan Johnson
CF - Pompey
RF - Shinn/Macciocchi/Aklinski/Hill
DH - Cottam
-------------------------------------------------
Friday - Hjelle
Saturday -Thompson
Sunday - Lewis
Bullpen - Machamer, Schaenzer, Dobzanski, Marozas/Bringhurst/Hazelwood/Macciocchi, Maley, Keen
-------------------------------------------------
Tuesday - Haake
Wednesday - Brett Marshall

Reactions: parrott
The outfield is where things are extremely interesting. It is Pompey and then the rest of the field, which includes 4 JUCO guys. First, I don't think Pompey is really good enough defensively to be a centerfielder. I don't think he reads the ball off the bat that well and I don't think his speed is all that great. I think he can do it, but I think he's better suited as a corner outfielder. Macciocchi would be the ideal centerfielder, IMO. The guy should lead off and play CF... he hit .400 and stole 32 bases last year, so he has the skill and speed to lead off and play the middle. However, he has never played there in college. In JUCO he played SS and as far as I know he only pitched a few games for Missouri his freshman year. How will he do moving to the grass? Shinn has home run power for days, but he struck out almost as many times as he got a hit (71 hits to 64 strikeouts). Going to the SEC makes me greatly worry that the K numbers might only go up. Johnson seems like he could be right or left field. Alkiknski was defensive player of the year in D2 JUCO, and I believe he played CF. He could find himself there or in left field.

In summary, I think I'd do it like this:

RF: Pompey
LF: Johnson
CF: Macciocchi/Aklinski (depending on how each hits and if Grant Mac can adjust to the OF).

Shinn would be a big role PH and defensive replacement with an eye towards having him take Pompey's spot if he sticks around another year.

1B: Collett has to show me something at the dish, but I think he'll like be our first baseman. I think that Brayden Combs can also compete here.
2B: Becker - However... JUCO kids are everywhere on our roster and Troy Black is not going to be ignored. Kid hit .450 on the same team as Grant Mac, and even walked 69 times. Top 10 in batting average and top 5 in overall hits in the JUCO D2 ranks. He did this as a freshman.
3B: Marshall - Defense is key at third and Marshall has shown a great ability to make plays there. He's not flashy, but he gets the job done.
SS: I think it is likely Dawson, but there are a couple that could step up.
C: Squires and Cottam will do some switching in and out, but Squires has to continue to hit well.

I think you are right about weekend starters.

Not sure about midweek. Haake would normally be a weekend guy considering he throws a 96mph fastball, but with Lewis returning, that might not be likely. We could possibly see Haake be a closer, but that seems like a bit of a waste when the guy pitched 80 innings in JUCO this past year. Still, that is an amazing problem to have.

Should be very interesting with a lot of new faces, especially JUCO kids.

This is going to look like a totally different team. It is hard to imagine that pitching will be the most familiar part of the team. I saw 4 positions total that are filled with familiar names. It will be interesting to see how quickly this team takes on the personality of our coach. I think that will be the key for success.

Yea, it is going to be very different this year. Hitting was a huge positive last year. How our hitting fairs going forward is going to be extremely interesting. Hitting can sometimes be contagious and sometimes it can be a product of those around you. We lost three of our four best hitters. Can new guys come in and find a good stride, or will they go through some growing pains? Will others like Pompey take a step back because they aren't surrounded by some good bats, or will they continue to hit well? A lot of questions that will have to be answered. Look forward to it.

The outfield is where things are extremely interesting. It is Pompey and then the rest of the field, which includes 4 JUCO guys. First, I don't think Pompey is really good enough defensively to be a centerfielder. I don't think he reads the ball off the bat that well and I don't think his speed is all that great. I think he can do it, but I think he's better suited as a corner outfielder. Macciocchi would be the ideal centerfielder, IMO. The guy should lead off and play CF... he hit .400 and stole 32 bases last year, so he has the skill and speed to lead off and play the middle. However, he has never played there in college. In JUCO he played SS and as far as I know he only pitched a few games for Missouri his freshman year. How will he do moving to the grass? Shinn has home run power for days, but he struck out almost as many times as he got a hit (71 hits to 64 strikeouts). Going to the SEC makes me greatly worry that the K numbers might only go up. Johnson seems like he could be right or left field. Alkiknski was defensive player of the year in D2 JUCO, and I believe he played CF. He could find himself there or in left field.

In summary, I think I'd do it like thi
RF: Pompey
LF: Johnson
CF: Macciocchi/Aklinski (depending on how each hits and if Grant Mac can adjust to the OF).

Shinn would be a big role PH and defensive replacement with an eye towards having him take Pompey's spot if he sticks around another year.

1B: Collett has to show me something at the dish, but I think he'll like be our first baseman. I think that Brayden Combs can also compete here.
2B: Becker - However... JUCO kids are everywhere on our roster and Troy Black is not going to be ignored. Kid hit .450 on the same team as Grant Mac, and even walked 69 times. Top 10 in batting average and top 5 in overall hits in the JUCO D2 ranks. He did this as a freshman.
3B: Marshall - Defense is key at third and Marshall has shown a great ability to make plays there. He's not flashy, but he gets the job done.
SS: I think it is likely Dawson, but there are a couple that could step up.
C: Squires and Cottam will do some switching in and out, but Squires has to continue to hit well.

I think you are right about weekend starters.

Not sure about midweek. Haake would normally be a weekend guy considering he throws a 96mph fastball, but with Lewis returning, that might not be likely. We could possibly see Haake be a closer, but that seems like a bit of a waste when the guy pitched 80 innings in JUCO this past year. Still, that is an amazing problem to have.

Should be very interesting with a lot of new faces, especially JUCO kids.
I agree with you and your views, especially about Black at 2nd base, this kid is a player, as was his brother who played 2b against us for Ohio U in the Regional. Agree Pompey is a corner OF, and with Johnson on the other corner, the battle for the CF spot will be interesting !

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Do you guys really think Collett can play 1st...he dosen't seem to be very quick or nimble? Going to miss EW a ton at that spot I'm afraid.

Appears as if Tyler Marshall has stepped away from playing due to knee injuries / pain. Tough loss but understandable.

Appears as if Tyler Marshall has stepped away from playing due to knee injuries / pain. Tough loss but understandable.
Wow that stinks. That could move Becker to third and Black at second.

Collett has some stuff to prove but he can play first in my opinion. Will be a drop off from White but anyone would be.

His twitter (I know, very reliable) says that he is a "former" Kentucky baseball player.
Ugggh, I had a lot of confidence in Tyler, thought he was a solid player. Oh well, as you said Becker could play 3b, and we also have Luke Heyer, who if he can hit righties better, could do very well.

There was an article I read from Big Blue Country I believe, that indicated he was hanging it up due to previous injuries and pain - permanently.

Article indicated that he had actually made the decision before last season ended if I read it correctly.

In many ways that was very good and unselfish of him. Many players might have tried to gut it out and then quit before the season or something like that. He hung it up after the season and before these newcomers were here, so we could recruit accordingly and many of these guys coming in may have known there were several infield openings, including third base, that they could take. It is crazy to think that we very well could have an entirely new infield except at maybe catcher.

In many ways that was very good and unselfish of him. Many players might have tried to gut it out and then quit before the season or something like that. He hung it up after the season and before these newcomers were here, so we could recruit accordingly and many of these guys coming in may have known there were several infield openings, including third base, that they could take. It is crazy to think that we very well could have an entirely new infield except at maybe catcher.
I wonder if he will join the work force, or perhaps hang around and be a Grad assistant ? He would be a good GA, his brother will be pitching this season !

I assume that he is still in school. I don't know this for sure, but if he is still in school then I imagine that he could hang around the team and work in some sort of volunteer position. I suppose it really just depends on his preference. I know when I played baseball it was hard to hang up my cleats, and I imagine that it is 10 times harder to hang them up and watch your teammates practice and play every single day. Still, some people are all right with that and for others it would probably eat them up.

ADVERTISEMENT