ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Mock Draft

Unless I'm way off, I think Vanderbilt will be a Top 20 pick. He is wayyyy too multiple to not be considered.

Reactions: WildMoon
I would take that draft all day long.

That means we likely get Green,Vanderbilt, Washington, Gilgeous-Alexander, and Baker back, since Cal doesn't have his guys leave after one season unless they are 1st rounders.

Those five plus Killeya-Jones and Wynyard back as Juniors, make for a strong returning core.

Add in Quickley (who is sounding more and more like he will be a Cat) and a top post player (Bagley, Bol, J.Brown, M.Brown, or Reid) and we should be the favorites.

These mock drafts are so silly..I mean..come on..they have Sviatoslav Mykhailivk..SG from Kansas @ # 30..my sources tell me..he will go at least 28 or 29..but then most are probably asking yourself, WTF is this guy? ..

Reactions: MbergCat
These mock drafts are so silly..I mean..come on..they have Sviatoslav Mykhailivk..SG from Kansas @ # 30..my sources tell me..he will go at least 28 or 29..but then most are probably asking yourself, WTF is this guy? ..

what is really funny about the svi kid is that the draft express guy has been projecting him as a 1st round pick for 4 years now. kid hasnt cracked 10 points per game but yet, still there.

Shai's cousin and high school teammate projected one and done at VTech. Interesting. The two games I saw, he was a lights out shooter, but Shai looked all around the better athlete and playmaker.

I think Knox is a kid that is one of the more talented freshman playing college basketball next season. Many seem to not talk about this kid when talking about who the top freshman performers will be for next season. Knox really has it all to be a beast next season. We're talking about a 6'9 guy that has a very strong frame, can shoot the ball from the outside, can jump out of the gym and knows how to score baskets with a nice handle. I feel a guy like that is as close to a lock as you will get to being a elite college player. A lot of fans are thinking Kentucky lacks the elite talent Cal is known for. Knox is going to be elite. Good luck on any guard/forward that has to guard this dude in college. After the college basketball season is over, Knox will be considered as a top 5 pick in the NBA draft. Some are sleeping on how good this kid will be for Kentucky next season. Wake up.

I strongly expect Diallo, Knox, Vanderbilt, and Richards to be OAD players this year. If we were to win the title I could see Green join them similar to what we saw out of Tyus Jones and Marquis Teague. Those 4 players have insane length and athleticism and that is what the NBA looks for more than anything, it seems like, these days.

Richards is the least likely of the 4, but I think the other 3 are guarantees no matter how successful the team ends up. There are several mock drafts out there with Richards leaving. Some have him as high as a lottery pick.

Richards comes from Jamaica and his family is not "well off" by any means. Nick only started playing basketball 4 years ago after a growth spurt where he went from a 6'5" soccer player to a 7'0" basketball player. He has a reach of 7'4". Here is a quote about Richards from the Hoops Summitt "But even beyond his height and length, Richards shocked with a 30-inch standing vertical leap, which DraftExpress said “ranks among the top marks recorded by a center all time.” In fact, his leap was actually the highest among the World Team players, including guards." At 240 lbs, he isn't brittle like a lot of big men we have seen in the past.

He is one of the best defensive bigs in the class, just as good as any others, in my opinion. His offensive game is raw, but when Calipari fixes that, he will have a hard time turning down the NBA. Heck, if I were in his position with his family in Jamaica it would be hard for me to turn down the NBA if I were projected as a 1st rounder!

7'0" Tall, 7'4" Reach, 30" Vertical Leap, 240 lbs, and has only been playing basketball for 4 years total. I continue to believe the Richards is gone and I do not blame him at all.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Vanderbilt not being on the list is hilarious.

I guess being injured senior season hurt his stock. I consider him top 5 player in this class. As long as he stays healthy, he'll be top 5.

Vanderbilt not being on the list is hilarious.

I guess being injured senior season hurt his stock. I consider him top 5 player in this class. As long as he stays healthy, he'll be top 5.

I don't see him being top 5 in the class.

I think he can be a lottery pick, though, if he stays healthy.

He would need to play lights out for us to be a top 5 player.

I don't see him being top 5 in the class.

I think he can be a lottery pick, though, if he stays healthy.

He would need to play lights out for us to be a top 5 player.

Let me clarify. He's top 5 in the freshmen class.

So about lottery pick. But then again top 7 picks were freshman this year. I would say top 10 picks.

Edit: I did say top 5. So I'm confused in myself too.

Any way you look at it, a lot of talent is coming back for Kentucky in 2018.. unless so many of these guys show out, which would then equate to a Final4 or better..

It's going to be a great few seasons for Kentucky. The train isn't slowing down one bit.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Let me clarify. He's top 5 in the freshmen class.

So about lottery pick. But then again top 7 picks were freshman this year. I would say top 10 picks.

Edit: I did say top 5. So I'm confused in myself too.

No prob.

Either way, he has the potential to be a very good player.

I think he is at least in our top 5. LOL!

Reactions: WildMoon
caneintally, I like those projections, despite not thinking PJ will declare due to being seen as a "tweener" and WG not leaving after not getting enough PT to shine as much as needed for the NBA.

I could see someone other than Knox, Diallo, Vanderbilt, or Richards leaving. I could see Green pull a Tyus Jones/Marquis Teague and enter while his stock is highest if UK were to win it all. I could also see any one of Shai, Baker, WG, SKJ, Tai, and PJ either declare early or transfer.

Plus, Cal currently has 2 empty scholarships.

Hopefully he loads up on this EXTREMELY talented and deep class and ends up with a 6-7 player recruiting class in 2018.

My guess is Knox is a top 5 pick JV goes around 5-8, Diallo around 10ish and Richards around 13-17 . PJ will be a top 25 pick as well and if Gabriel comes out ( i think he does ) he will be a early 2nd rounder.
If Diallo can shoot respectfully, he'll be in top 5.

I think:

Diallo- top 10.
Knox- top 10.
Richards- top 15-20
Vanderbilt- top 15-20.
Gabriel- 2nd round,

Green and Washington test the waters and return.

Just a guess.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Wow Puke and Coach K has 2 more One and Done's, he will crying all year again and after the draft.

Duke likely loses Duval, Allen, Trent, and Carter after this season. Bolden might be gone as well. There is a chance that he lives up to expectations and goes to the NBA or continues to disappoint and gets recruited over and transfers.

So K is likely going to have 4-5 Freshmen starters in 2018-19 and no Seniors (unless he takes a grad transfer).

It might be time for his back to "flare up" again.

Duke likely loses Duval, Allen, Trent, and Carter after this season. Bolden might be gone as well. There is a chance that he lives up to expectations and goes to the NBA or continues to disappoint and gets recruited over and transfers.

So K is likely going to have 4-5 Freshmen starters in 2018-19 and no Seniors (unless he takes a grad transfer).

It might be time for his back to "flare up" again.
Yeah, the next couple of years are going to be really interesting for Duke. Even if he lands 2 or 3 of the 2018 studs I don't think he will have any depth at all.

Really hoping Washington, SKJ and the 2 point guards come back for us in 2018. Could be a really great team!

Yeah, the next couple of years are going to be really interesting for Duke. Even if he lands 2 or 3 of the 2018 studs I don't think he will have any depth at all.

Really hoping Washington, SKJ and the 2 point guards come back for us in 2018. Could be a really great team!

My thoughts as well.

I think we should get SKJ and SGA back. Green and Washington are the big question marks.

Want to see Green and Quikley in the backcourt, with one of Langford, Reddish, or Barrett on the wing, Washington at the 4, and a stud big man (Bagley, Bol, J.Brown, M.Brown, Reid) to round out the starting five. SKJ and SGA coming off the bench. Maybe add King for wing depth. Wynyard and Baker to round out the roster. That's a contender.

My thoughts as well.

I think we should get SKJ and SGA back. Green and Washington are the big question marks.

Want to see Green and Quikley in the backcourt, with one of Langford, Reddish, or Barrett on the wing, Washington at the 4, and a stud big man (Bagley, Bol, J.Brown, M.Brown, Reid) to round out the starting five. SKJ and SGA coming off the bench. Maybe add King for wing depth. Wynyard and Baker to round out the roster. That's a contender.

One thing we know about this year is that either Alexander or Green will have limited minutes or may each get roughly 20 minutes. Not going to be a Bledsoe or Briscoe situation where they play SG or SF because we are so loaded. So you would assume one or both come back. Alexander and Quickly would be one heck of a combo in 2018, Green would be gravy on top!

One thing we know about this year is that either Alexander or Green will have limited minutes or may each get roughly 20 minutes. Not going to be a Bledsoe or Briscoe situation where they play SG or SF because we are so loaded. So you would assume one or both come back. Alexander and Quickly would be one heck of a combo in 2018, Green would be gravy on top!

Yup.

I think worst case:

G Quickley
G Gilgeous-Alexander
F King
F Reid
F Killeya-Jones

Baker, Wynyard, and some Freshmen on the bench. That's a good, not great team. Like the size in the backcourt.

Hopefully, we upgrade at a few spots, though.

Would be huge to get Washington back, especially.

Vanderbilt is already considered an injury risk to NBA teams, talent wise he's a Top 20 pick. Him being able to stay on the floor next season will be his biggest draft stock factor.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
Vanderbilt is already considered an injury risk to NBA teams, talent wise he's a Top 20 pick. Him being able to stay on the floor next season will be his biggest draft stock factor.

This is critical for him. Staying healthy means millions for him. I am rooting hard for him to be healthy all season and hope he gets drafted in the lottery. Tons of talent, just being viewed as fragile.

I notice that Svi from Kansas is in the first round draft projections yet again. [laughing] Vanderbilt is more than likely a lottery pick, IMO. You can never have too many 6-9 do it all forwards that can also run the point. Kinda like shooters. [winking]No possible way he drops out of the first round if he's injury free next year. No.Possible.Way.

ADVERTISEMENT