ADVERTISEMENT

2018-9 Prospects

Just my overall take-away from the article, UK appeared to be at or near the top on only 2 of the prospects mentioned, Traynor and Smock. I am used to seeing UK at or near the top with more. Just my observation.

Just my overall take-away from the article, UK appeared to be at or near the top on only 2 of the prospects mentioned, Traynor and Smock. I am used to seeing UK at or near the top with more. Just my observation.

On the front page: "In-state Roundup..."

Thanks for the clarification. Maybe UK's just being more deliberate for whatever reason. For instance, maybe they're in on some out of state guys they rate higher. Time will tell.

Of the 12 commits so far this year and the last two full classes, we have had 7 out of 61 commits from within the state of Kentucky.

I think it is clear that UK is focusing 95% of it's recruiting effort beyond the borders of Kentucky, and is likely relying on "in-state-pull" for kids to come late(r) in the process when the spots are not to be filled by higher star kids from elsewhere.

This may sound a tad cynical, or harsh, or similar to what Ohio State is doing, but it is what it is.

A trip to Paducah is no longer a "long" recruiting trip for our coaches, and early preference lists from players in-state will likely reflect the change in emphasis in Kentucky's recruiting strategy.

UK produces so few players that are more talented than players this staff can get from Michigan, Ohio, Georgia, Florida, etc.

Plus, it seems that whenever Kentucky does produce top players, they don't have much desire to stay and play in state, as of late.

I think if we turn into a program that can consistently win 8-9 games a year, any top rated prospect from Kentucky will have a much harder time turning UK down and heading out of state. Kids want to win. UK has not been a traditional place where that can be accomplished. Slowly, this staff is changing that narrative and the biggest change I think it will make will be with the 4*/5* recruits looking at Kentucky as a much more attractive destination than what we are currently facing having to battle accomplished title winning teams like Alabama.

If an in state players sees that he can possibly be the missing piece to help lead his home state university to the top of SEC, I think that we will have the pick of the litter in-state, like most programs, except for the occasionally lifelong UL fan from Jefferson County, of course.

Reactions: wyldecat
ADVERTISEMENT