ADVERTISEMENT

1992-1996: Greatest five-year stretch in basketball history.

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
***In no particular order.

1. Greatest Collection of talent ever assembled on the 1992 Dream Team, including the last real Swan Song for Bird/Magic.
2. Greatest NBA team in history in the 1996 Chicago Bulls.
3. Greatest college basketball team in history in the 1996 Kentucky Wildcats.
4. Arguably the deepest NBA draft (or second behind the 1984 draft) in 1996 with Kobe, Nash, Iverson, Allen, Walker, Marbury, Camby, Jermaine O'Neal, Abdur-Rahim, Peja, Kittles, etc.
5. Coach K's greatest team in the 1992 Duke Blue Devils.
6. UK, Duke, UNC, and UCLA won titles in that span. Kansas and Indiana both made Final Fours as well. Arkansas' 1994 team was the 5th team to win in that span. All five of those title teams were incredible by any era's standards. Not one dud champion.
7. All of the blue bloods reached at least one Final Four in that span.
8. Bobby Knight's last Final Four.
9. Dean Smith's last championship.
10. Prime level play for Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, Hakeem, Robinson, Pippen, Ewing, Drexler, Wilkins, etc.
11. Michael Jordan's best years.
12. Michigan's Fab Five.
13. Arguably the most competitive Final Four in history with 1993 with Pitino's Wildcats, Dean's Tar Heels, Fisher's Fab Five, and Roy's Jayhawks.
14. Arkansas' 40 minutes of hell.
15. College basketball included Shaq, Fab Five, Mashburn, Laettner, Mourning, Ray Allen, Iverson, Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, etc.
16. Georgetown and John Thompson still had great teams. So did Indiana, Arkansas, UCLA, etc.
17. High school basketball included Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, etc.
18. The last pure college era before the rise of the "straight to NBA" era.
19. Jordan coming out of retirement.
20. Greatest multi-conference simultaneous rivalries of Duke/UNC in the ACC; UConn/G'Town/Syracuse in the Big East; and Arkansas/Kentucky in the SEC.

Last edited:

1. Greatest Collection of talent ever assembled on the 1992 Dream Team.
4. Arguably the deepest NBA draft (or second behind the 1984 draft) in 1996 with Kobe, Nash, Iverson, Allen, Walker, Marbury, Camby, Jermaine O'Neal, Abdur-Rahim, Peja, Kittles, etc.
6. UK, Duke, UNC, and UCLA won titles in that span. Kansas and Indiana both made Final Fours as well. Arkansas' 1994 team was the 5th team to win in that span. All five of those title teams were incredible by any era's standards. Not one dud champion.
10. Prime level play for Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, Hakeem, Robinson, Pippen, Ewing, Drexler, Wilkins, etc.
11. Magic's last finals.
12. Michigan's Fab Five.
13. Arguably the most competitive Final Four in history with 1993 with Pitino's Wildcats, Dean's Tar Heels, Fisher's Fab Five, and Roy's Jayhawks.
15. College basketball included Shaq, Fab Five, Mashburn, Laettner, Mourning, Ray Allen, Iverson, Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, etc.
16. Georgetown and John Thompson still had great teams. So did Indiana, Arkansas, UCLA, etc.
20. Greatest multi-conference simultaneous rivalries of Duke/UNC in the ACC; UConn/G'Town/Syracuse in the Big East; and Arkansas/Kentucky in the SEC.

Nice post; very interesting.

Why is 97&98 not listed as well?

Agreed! Seems a semi-random stretch of years. Not that I disagree with anything the OP posted.
I went for a five year stretch and this is the best one I could find. If I did 94-98, it would have missed '92 Dream Team, '92 Duke, '93 Final Four, Bulls first three peat, etc.

The Chicago Bulls. As a kid I watched them on wgn all the time. Little did I know that was probably the best basketball team in the 90s, heck maybe all time.
Those were some special years. I remember my youthful excitement when the Bulls took on the Hornets team that featured Mourning and Larry Johnson. The Bulls almost always carved those dudes up. Also, the Knicks made a really good substitute for league villains in place of the fading Pistons with guys like Xavier McDaniel, Oakley, Starks, and Anthony Mason bullying opponents.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
#3 is dead wrong. Alcindor UCLA teams, Walton Gang, Jordan-Worthy-Perkins, all better than 1996 UK team. Heck, Running Rebels of 1991 were as good or better. AD's team of 2012 may have been better. I really liked that UK team and they were very, very good. But no where close to GOAT status, imo.

#3 is dead wrong. Alcindor UCLA teams, Walton Gang, Jordan-Worthy-Perkins, all better than 1996 UK team. Heck, Running Rebels of 1991 were as good or better. AD's team of 2012 may have been better. I really liked that UK team and they were very, very good. But no where close to GOAT status, imo.

I disagree. This team crushed the SEC that year by 20 a game and everybody said the SEC was down so they only got 4 teams in the big dance. All four made it to the sweet 16 and 2 made the final four. Not the best set of future pros ever, the best college basketball team ever.

You're the only person on this message board who would think that. And Jordan's team isn't close. You don't go down as the greatest all-time and need a turnover against a 7 loss G-Town team to seal the deal. 1991 UNLV didn't even win the title.

Having lived through it, I agree.

I also can't help but think you could pluck just about any top ten college basketball team from then in today's game and they would absolutely dominate. Hell, Georgia Tech from the '96 season with Marbury and Harpring would probably run the table today.
Damn Harpring there’s a blast from the past.

The 96 team would run 12 out of the gym. Along with all of those other teams you listed except maybe 69 UCLA.

1. Greatest Collection of talent ever assembled on the 1992 Dream Team, including the last real Swan Song for Bird/Magic.
12. Michigan's Fab Five.

Can't really argue this...

You're the only person on this message board who would think that. And Jordan's team isn't close. You don't go down as the greatest all-time and need a turnover against a 7 loss G-Town team to seal the deal. 1991 UNLV didn't even win the title.

Weak. Jordan hit the jumper for the lead before Georgetown turned it over. Now they wear his silhouette on their jerseys.

Reactions: gamecockcat
Weak. Jordan hit the jumper for the lead before Georgetown turned it over. Now they wear his silhouette on their jerseys.
@-COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE- , what's weak is you Heels squeaking by the 9 seed James Madison by 2 points that season in the SECOND-FREAKING-ROUND, then barely beating Alabama and Houston.

Maybe you should check your own history. Historically great teams don't need multiple squeaker games to win it all.

You're the only person

on this message board who would think that. And Jordan's team isn't close. You don't go down as the greatest all-time and need a turnover against a 7 loss G-Town team to seal the deal. 1991 UNLV didn't even win the title.
Sorry, 1990 Running Rebels. Let's see...Walton Gang had at least 2 College HOFers who were also NBA HOFers but the 96 UK team was better? Alcindor also had Lucius Allen who had a long NBA career.. I believe Jordan, Worthy and Perkins are also all HOFers but UK was better? C'mon people. That UK team was really good, no doubt. But GOAT? Sure, everyone on this board might say that but we're all UK fans. Think any national board or sportswriters would say UK '96 team was the best?

• Haha
Reactions: BourbonBalz
Sorry, 1990 Running Rebels. Let's see...Walton Gang had at least 2 College HOFers who were also NBA HOFers but the 96 UK team was better? Alcindor also had Lucius Allen who had a long NBA career.. I believe Jordan, Worthy and Perkins are also all HOFers but UK was better? C'mon people. That UK team was really good, no doubt. But GOAT? Sure, everyone on this board might say that but we're all UK fans. Think any national board or sportswriters would say UK '96 team was the best?
The 96 UK team would’ve run those teams to death. Way too deep and way too athletic. NBA careers have absolutely nothing to do with college. Larry Bird went to Indiana St. Dr. J went to UMass. There’s hundreds of other examples.

Measure them by their performance on the college court, not their future NBA production. The 1982 UNC team squeaked by three teams in route to squeaking by Georgetown, including a 2 point win against a 9 seed James Madison team in the second round.

UCLA is the only team that can demonstrably compare, and it was different eras entirely where UCLA had no three point line. UK, meanwhile, was beating people by 23 points/game. Also, if sports writers are your foundation for expertise, you might want to look at real analytics.

You sound determined, which is weird considering you didn't even know about UNC barely beating James Madison in the second round in 1982 with all those future NBA stars.

@-COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE- , what's weak is you Heels squeaking by the 9 seed James Madison by 2 points that season in the SECOND-FREAKING-ROUND, then barely beating Alabama and Houston.

Maybe you should check your own history. Historically great teams don't need multiple squeaker games to win it all.

Yeah? Where's that put our '09 team then? You know the one that beat everyone (including four of the final AP Top 15) by at least 12 points and led all but 10 of 240 minutes throughout the tournament. Lol

Yeah? Where's that put our '09 team then? You know the one that beat everyone (including four of the final AP Top 15) by at least 12 points and led all but 10 of 240 minutes throughout the tournament. Lol
I'd actually take your '09 team over your '82 team.

Both of those teams, playing at their best, would get beat by '96 Kentucky playing at its best. Study the opponent point differential for the entire season and get back to me.

I'd actually take your '09 team over your '82 team.

Both of those teams, playing at their best, would get beat by '96 Kentucky playing at its best. Study the opponent point differential for the entire season and get back to me.

That's fair. I tend to agree '82 leans a bit on NBA careers and Jordan's game winner. I'd def put '96 UK up there. I don't know if they'd run everyone else out of the gym, but they're def up there. Props again for a good OP.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
The 71-72 Walton team averaged almost 95 points per game with Walton, Wilkes (both COLLEGE HOF players), Bibby, etc. That team would've been run to death? And didn't have 3 pointers to boost their scoring. Undefeated and average margin of victory was over 30 points. I get it - this is a UK board but no way does 96 team beat Walton and UCLA. JMO, of course.

LMAO unreal.

Why, yes, yes I do. I’ve seen/heard a plethora of them write about it and say it many times.

Any of those teams put up 86 points in a half on the ROAD against a power 5 team?! I seriously doubt that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
The 71-72 Walton team averaged almost 95 points per game with Walton, Wilkes (both COLLEGE HOF players), Bibby, etc. That team would've been run to death? And didn't have 3 pointers to boost their scoring. Undefeated and average margin of victory was over 30 points. I get it - this is a UK board but no way does 96 team beat Walton and UCLA. JMO, of course.

Mark Pope shut down Marcus Camby and Tim Duncan in consecutive games. He would have eaten Bill Walton alive.

Mark Pope shut down Marcus Camby and Tim Duncan in consecutive games. He would have eaten Bill Walton alive.
Man, Pope could play! Was watching the 1995 game against UCLA yesterday. Forgot how damn good he was. He was just completely overshadowed on that 1996 team, which was and still is the GOAT!

I have no clue how we managed to lose that game. We had a double digit lead in the second half. I know one thing. That last foul on McCarty was as clean of a block as you’ll ever see. Can’t believe they called a foul on that. We win if they swallow their whistle there.

EDIT: Our fans that were in LA that day were incredible! I believe we had as many fans there as UCLA did. Unbelievable!

Last edited:
I like @gamecockcat went out of his way to argue one point I made out of 20, and even that point is debatable given that the '96 Cats were a post-three-point-line team and '71 UCLA was not.

My point stands. 1992-1996 was the best 5 years stretch in basketball history.
I believe you’re correct. I’ll also say that from 1990-1999 was the best decade for college basketball of all time. The 80s does rival, but the 90s were better.

Furthermore, we were the best program of the decade AND had the best team, 1996. We were the best program and were on probation for two full seasons of the decade. That’s absurd.

I believe you’re correct. I’ll also say that from 1990-1999 was the best decade for college basketball of all time. The 80s does rival, but the 90s were better.

Furthermore, we were the best program of the decade AND had the best team, 1996. We were the best program and were on probation for two full seasons of the decade. That’s absurd.
Pitino's rebuild was the best rebuild in sports history.

From '92-99, the post-probation years, we went to 7 Elite Eights in 8 years, won two titles, went to 4 Final Fours in 8 years, and 3 title games in 8 years. Missed a 5th Final Four by one miracle buzzer beater. Missed a three-peat by one regulation shot in 1997.

Absolutely remarkable. Pitino was a genius.

Pitino's rebuild was the best rebuild in sports history.

From '92-99, the post-probation years, we went to 7 Elite Eights in 8 years, won two titles, went to 4 Final Fours in 8 years, and 3 title games in 8 years. Missed a 5th Final Four by one miracle buzzer beater. Missed a three-peat by one regulation shot in 1997.

Absolutely remarkable. Pitino was a genius.
If he had just played DA, we win in 97, no doubt about it. Easy on the praise for Pitino. The Cal nut huggers will come out the woodwork!

Stupid post. A team won 7 consecutive NCAA titles and the OP is saying a 5 year run was better. You guys are pathetic.
@mick1642 , are you drunk?

Read the OP again, simpleton. I said it was the greatest five year stretch in BASKETBALL HISTORY (as in, everything combined), not Kentucky history.

I know it's late, but for an angry, resentful troll, you look rather elementary.

12. Michigan's Fab Five.

Great post and hard to argue. Those were my age 12-16 years. Epic time for the sport!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT