ADVERTISEMENT

1989 was a long time ago but has any university

cats2010

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Received a punishment remotely close to what UK received from the 1989 sham investigation that landed us 3 years probation, 1 year TV ban, 2 years post season ban, reduced scholarships, and serious consideration for the death penalty. All for $1000 supposedly sent by Casey to mills and Eric Manuel cheating on his act and UK seemingly should have known that he was ineligible.

Those “infractions” seem laughable compared to what goes on today but even compared to other things that went on even within the decade of UK’s supposedly misdeeds. I honestly can’t recall but has anyone received anything substantial since then with much more egregious accusations?

First, Indiana Hoosier Nation resents your claim that 1989 was "a long time ago." How can that be true when 1987 was just the other day...

I don't know the answer to your question. Probably somebody got slammed along the way. The point is the idiotic and infuriating inconsistency.

Memphis has the 2008 season and FInal Game appearance wiped out because Derek Rose apparently got improper help on his SAT -- which everyone agrees Calipari knew nothing about, and the NCAA cleared Rose to play before the season began.

That same year, Kansas played Darrell Arthur, who had a double-double in the title game, but then it is found out his high school grades were changed to make him eligible, and he was probably given improper payments by boosters. The NCAA looks the other way.

Or compare the different outcomes for Marcus Camby at UMass and Corey Magette at Duke.

The NCAA's credibility was hanging by a thread when the debacle of letting UNC-CHeats get away with having an entire department on campus doling out As for no work or attendance destroyed that thread. It's now nothing but a joke.

Last edited:
Only SMU football, that I can think of, off the top of my head. And, they actually got the death penalty. But, none of the relevant basketball schools have gotten anything close to what we got, as far as I can remember. The UNC academic fraud over 3 decades should’ve gotten at least equal punishment to ours. Same goes for KU, Duke, Arizona, UL & LSU outright buying players, out in the open, prior to the inception of NIL. But, you know if we had been caught doing the same, we’d be in deep shit, right now. Total bs.

NCAA is very,very,inconsitent----and that is being nice.

Kid from FSU was suspended for 16 games, even though he paid every cent back. On the other hand, Bill Self...................

NCAA is a joke, fraud and seriously incompetent...

Only SMU football, that I can think of, off the top of my head. And, they actually got the death penalty. But, none of the relevant basketball schools have gotten anything close to what we got, as far as I can remember. The UNC academic fraud over 3 decades should’ve gotten at least equal punishment to ours. Same goes for KU, Duke, Arizona, UL & LSU outright buying players, out in the open, prior to the inception of NIL. But, you know if we had been caught doing the same, we’d be in deep shit, right now. Total bs.
UNCheat's infractions should have resulted in the death penalty, loss of titles, games, etc.

What about nil deals? Doesn't that take the cake?

Its great for the student athletes but wonder how money will affect their individual performance in college?

Well DUH! I know Emery is not FedEx, but those packages don't just pop open, it takes the jaws-of-life to get those packages open.
The thing that didn’t make sense then and doesn’t make sense yet today. Shippers (UPS, FedEx, etc) that have a package pop open, reseal it and deliver to destination. I will never believe the “it just popped open” story.

Reactions: 2Adulterers
UK should petition the NCAA to get those wins back and Dwayne Casey's name cleared. If Emmert's pencil heads balk....refer them to the UofL ruling handed down today. Then threaten to sue their ass into the poor house if they don't comply. I'm serious! This UofL hand slap is a total joke. And so is the NCAA BTW.

UK should petition the NCAA to get those wins back and Dwayne Casey's name cleared. If Emmert's pencil heads balk....refer them to the UofL ruling handed down today. Then threaten to sue their ass into the poor house if they don't comply. I'm serious! This UofL hand slap is a total joke. And so is the NCAA BTW.
Dwayne got a $7,000,000 settlement from Emery and inducted into Ky Athletic Hall of Fame last year He feels vindicated

Don’t think they had to forfeit any games but did have to repay money received from the 1988 NCAAT. I’m with you though, just to make a point I’d probably send in a letter of sone kind seeking retraction of all the BS we were put through in light of other findings that have occurred since then and they in essence turned the other way. I’d be putting them on notice how big of a joke they have really become.

Don’t think they had to forfeit any games but did have to repay money received from the 1988 NCAAT. I’m with you though, just to make a point I’d probably send in a letter of sone kind seeking retraction of all the BS we were put through in light of other findings that have occurred since then and they in essence turned the other way. I’d be putting them on notice how big of a joke they have really become.

They had to vacate wins against Southern and Maryland and a loss against Villanova.

JB

Our president at that time just laid down. He told the ncaa anything you find out we did it. We didn’t try to lawyer up any. If UNC had done what we did they would of been put on probation. These cases drag out for years because these schools just keep arguing and delay!!

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
ADVERTISEMENT