ADVERTISEMENT

1973 Belmont Stakes

Secretariat%20The%20Photo.jpg

I was there at Belmont when Pharoah won it in 2015. Tears were shed.

I was thrilled to watch it myself, although, I never thought the TC was impossible, just had been a long dry spell with a lot of close losses and bad luck. I was pretty sure I would see one again.

Where do you rate Pharoah among the all time greats? Reminded me a lot of Seattle Slew.

On Saturday, meh, I don't think Justify can pull it off, but will certainly be watching.

I was thrilled to watch it myself, although, I never thought the TC was impossible, just had been a long dry spell with a lot of close losses and bad luck. I was pretty sure I would see one again.

Where do you rate Pharoah among the all time greats? Reminded me a lot of Seattle Slew.

On Saturday, meh, I don't think Justify can pull it off, but will certainly be watching.

He's way up there. When Pharoah won the Belmont, he was the only horse in the field to have been in all 3 races. And of course then went on to win the Breeder's Cup.

I'm with you on Justify. The close race in the Preakness was a red flag.

Reactions: Tskware
Yep, Grand Slam of TC plus BC classic is a feat may never see again.

I am of the opinion that Secretariat's best race was the Preakness.
Watch as he just engulfs the field from the 1st turn to the back stretch, and just keeps rolling.
For me, the single greatest move a horse has ever made.

Reactions: mktmaker
I am of the opinion that Secretariat's best race was the Preakness.
Watch as he just engulfs the field from the 1st turn to the back stretch, and just keeps rolling.
For me, the single greatest move a horse has ever made.
like he was on a rocket .....

Reactions: TexKat
WTF ?!?

Where do you get that - I have been following racing my whole life and I have never seen heard/seen one shred of evidence that Secretariat was doped.

Source?
There is none. Dude probably thinks Babe Ruth was doped up too. Big Red was just an extraordinary thoroughbred. A force of nature.

Talk about little brother syndrome. Poor Sham. Secretariat ate his lunch and took his girl too.

I can't believe the trainers thought Sham could run at that pace with Big Red. If not for Secretariat Sham could have won the Triple Crown. He's like the Buffalo Bills of horse racing...always the bridesmaid and never the bride.

Recently read that Secretariat set records for fastest race at all three legs of the TC that year. All three records still stand today. Amazing!

I think one of the craziest things is that he ran each furlong of the Belmont faster than the previous one; maybe not so crazy at six furlongs but insane at ten.

Reactions: BlueTick2
I think one of the craziest things is that he ran each furlong of the Belmont faster than the previous one; maybe not so crazy at six furlongs but insane at ten.
Wow, looked like he was flying for the first 1/2 mi and then slowed a bit. Amazing gorset

I hope there exists better quality video than the grainy vids posted on youtube of the Secretariat Belmont race. Would be a shame if it wasn't preserved.

He set the track record at all 3 tracks, and also ran the derby each 1/16 mile faster than the last, so IMO that makes Big Red the GOAT.

ADVERTISEMENT