Your winner?

Past PGA TOUR major winners on this course:
Gary Player US OPEN 1965
Nick Price PGA 1992

Bellerive Country Club Course overview: Par 70 7,431
https://www.pga.com/events/pgachampionship/course

2017_PGA_Championship_Preview.jpg

Reactions: treuxbleux
Finau's been lurking so I'll choose him as an off the cuff pick. What the hell. My predictions in majors this year leave a lot to be desired.

Reactions: rudd1 and cawoodsct
PGA generally has strongest top-to-bottom field of any of the majors. I think DJ or Spieth are due for a major win. Think Tiger will be near the top but still too early in the comeback for him to win, imo. I think he'll win an event later this year or early next year, though. When healthy, he's still very capable of stringing together a great tournament.

How Tiger performs next week will be a huge tell on his current status. Going back to a course he loves w/ some confidence in his game.....he does well, then that sets up nice for the PGA. Otherwise, could be just more of the same brief flashes that has been the story this year.

Tiger will only win again if whatever course he is playing does not require driver too often. Quite the opposite of when he was dominating.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Molinari was playing great before the British Open. I know he is a fereigner, but still makes a great story like Italian army wins a battle

It feels like Day is due to win another major, I'll go with him.

Darkhorse - Bubba.

It happens to the best of us fellas. Hang in there.

That is literally me and this f'n Driver once every year. Most recent a month ago. Hate that club with all my heart which is why I cannot get my HC where I want it. For whatever reason I go through an annual stint of having my club face too closed at the top of my swing (likely because I Draw the ball) which just throws my entire sequence out of wack causing all sorts of issues. Know what I am doing but fixing it seems to be a complete mystery until I get a lesson.

Reactions: cawoodsct
PGA is usually set up like the rest of the tournaments so whoever is hot and matches the course has the best chance. Maybe Molinari stays hot and gets 2 majors in one year like Paddy Harrington did several years ago. Unsure right now though, I will predict a winner in a couple weeks.

Almost time. Can’t wait. Still not sure who I’m going with. Hard to go against DJ right now. But not sure he’s my pick. Will wait to see how everyone plays at Firestone. Think it will be a great tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: cawoodsct
If they are playing ball down, i am going with a real dark horse. Drainthe tub, out of nowhere unheard of.

I also like Jason Day
It’s funny the way the media depicts certain players. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve never heard anything but good things about Jason, but I’ll tell you this, he’s painfully slow. On average, he’s slower than J.B. is, and that’s a fact. However, the media labels Holmes as being terrible for the tour because of his slow play, but they never write anything remotely the same about Day.

I’ll tell you this, I’ve been to dozens of PGA tournaments, in fact I’ll be in St Louis for all four days of the PGA Championship next week, I’ve followed both J.B. and Day numerous times, occasionally together, and as a whole, Holmes plays faster than Jason does.

Again, I like Day, I’m just pointing out how the media can decide who to vilify and who not to.

It’s funny the way the media depicts certain players. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve never heard anything but good things about Jason, but I’ll tell you this, he’s painfully slow. On average, he’s slower than J.B. is, and that’s a fact. However, the media labels Holmes as being terrible for the tour because of his slow play, but they never write anything remotely the same about Day.

I’ll tell you this, I’ve been to dozens of PGA tournaments, in fact I’ll be in St Louis for all four days of the PGA Championship next week, I’ve followed both J.B. and Day numerous times, occasionally together, and as a whole, Holmes plays faster than Jason does.

Again, I like Day, I’m just pointing out how the media can decide who to vilify and who not to.
Most all are too slow. My new rule would be, once you get to your ball and it is your turn to hit, you have one minute to hit the ball. Take their yardage books, green slope books away, let them use a range finder.

Reactions: kev69
Most all are too slow. My new rule would be, once you get to your ball and it is your turn to hit, you have one minute to hit the ball. Take their yardage books, green slope books away, let them use a range finder.
My exact thoughts. Totally agree.

On the flip side, the two fastest players I’ve seen in person are Dustin Johnson and Zac Bair.
Blair wastes no time.

Reactions: crpoore
My exact thoughts. Totally agree.

On the flip side, the two fastest players I’ve seen in person are Dustin Johnson and Zac Bair.
Blair wastes no time.
John Daly is a mental midget, but. He is the fastest I have seen.

Kevin Na took a lot of flack for being slow, but I never thought he was that bad. At least he is not bad now. Frankly, I think many of the younger players play slower than he ever did. Patrick Cantlay is brutal to watch when it takes him a minute standing over the ball before he swings. Speith is brutal as well. Think the tour needs to get tougher on these guys when it comes to slow play and start penalizing more to make them play faster. It is an absolutely a joke that a group of 2-3 professionals take over 5-6 hours to play a round when an amateur group of 4 mid to high handicappers can get done in the same amount of time.

Kevin Na took a lot of flack for being slow, but I never thought he was that bad. At least he is not bad now. Frankly, I think many of the younger players play slower than he ever did. Patrick Cantlay is brutal to watch when it takes him a minute standing over the ball before he swings. Speith is brutal as well. Think the tour needs to get tougher on these guys when it comes to slow play and start penalizing more to make them play faster. It is an absolutely a joke that a group of 2-3 professionals take over 5-6 hours to play a round when an amateur group of 4 mid to high handicappers can get done in the same amount of time.
Hell, guys I play with are all single digit cappers, and we can play a fivesome in 3.5 hours. And that is playing it down and putting everything out. Just be ready when it’s your turn and hit the damn ball.

Reactions: kev69
Na has picked up his pace in the last 2 years. I can say this, because I’ve followed him a few times, he was at one time the slowest PGA player I’ve ever seen.

Good dude though, and picking up his pace may have contributed to his first win in a number of years.

Reactions: crpoore
Na has picked up his pace in the last 2 years. I can say this, because I’ve followed him a few times, he was at one time the slowest PGA player I’ve ever seen.

Good dude though, and picking up his pace may have contributed to his first win in a number of years.
Wasn’t Kevin’s problem that he just could not pull the club back to start his swing?

Yes. He has full swing yips. It was brutal to watch. I played with a guy who had same issue. He finally gave up the game.
I never understood his issue until this past year when I started developing issues with my backswing with my driver and woods. 50% of my backswings the feeling I got was that I was getting stuck even halfway in my backswing. I literally looked like Na did in that I would make a backswing and have to pull back and start over to try and fix the issues. Very very frustrating. Playing partners were actually impressed in how I was able to pull back so quickly midway in a swing (was sort of Tigerish). Got a few lessons to figure it out and it ultimately was because the club face was too closed causing my brain to go haywire. Have had to work on having a more square to slightly open club face on my backswing to correct the issue which I think I have done. My natural draw is not as good but small price to pay for now.

ADVERTISEMENT