ADVERTISEMENT

10-Loss Chris Mack

HoptownCat93

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2015
UofL is really getting a GREAT guy for their job, and I mean great for us. He has 5 10-loss seasons compared to 4 seasons with less than 10 losses. Only a 68.8% winning percentage overall. And he did not take over a mess, he took over for Sean Miller who had the program in good shape.

He hasn't exactly played against murderers row, and he's not even the most looked at college basketball team in a city with 2 pro sports teams. With the Louisville media giving him more attention and a tough ACC, I don't think this will be the Hall of Fame level hire they had with Crum and Pitino.

Here is his record:

In the Atlantic 10
2009-10: 26-9 (14-2)
2010-11: 24-8 (15-1)
2011-12: 23-13 (10-6)
2012-13: 17-14 (9-7)

In the Big East
2013-14: 21-13 (10-8)
2014-15: 23-14 (9-9)
2015-16: 26-6 (14-4)
2016-17: 24-14 (9-9)
2017-18: 29-6 (15-3)

Reactions: Smashcat
In their current situation, Mack would be an excellent hire. .688 is nothing to sneeze at. That’s better than a lot of really good coaches (guys like Jay Wright and John Thompson). I would say for the guys they could potentially get, the only other guy I would put above him is Hoiberg.

Mack would be eaten alive in the ACC like a female spider coupling a tiny male... [laughing]

Many-female-black-widow-spiders-eat-their-males-after-mating..jpg

Reactions: thepip
I can't see why a coach would take the job. There is going to be an NCAA investigation over the $100,000 player payoff, but when, how long will it take, how long will the additional penalties last? What is the best guess as to when they will be off probation and have full scholarships.

Reactions: coach-2
UofL is really getting a GREAT guy for their job, and I mean great for us. He has 5 10-loss seasons compared to 4 seasons with less than 10 losses. Only a 68.8% winning percentage overall. And he did not take over a mess, he took over for Sean Miller who had the program in good shape.

He hasn't exactly played against murderers row, and he's not even the most looked at college basketball team in a city with 2 pro sports teams. With the Louisville media giving him more attention and a tough ACC, I don't think this will be the Hall of Fame level hire they had with Crum and Pitino.

Here is his record:

In the Atlantic 10

In the Big East
@UKFAN4L
Still think he's "great"?

you all realize he'll be able to get into more recruit's homes as the coach at Louisville in the ACC than Xavier in the A10?

Make no mistake, he's a good hire for them if they can get him. As it has been alluded to above....as someone who lives in this area and follows their team, I don't think its a walk off grand slam home run some are making it out to be...but its definitely a good result considering the circumstances.

as someone who lives in this area and follows their team, I don't think its a walk off grand slam home run some are making it out to be...but its definitely a good result considering the circumstances.
Agree but still puzzled by UK fans who think he's THE MAN to replace Cal when he retires.

Money can buy you love so it can buy you a coach. Mack would be a good hire. Not a great one like Pitino was and no "Pitino" is walking through that door. Without special circumstances Pitino would not have come here in the first place post-Boston. So Mack, the flavor of the month, would be a solid...workman-like hire.

@UKFAN4L
Still think he's "great"?
100%. Losing Mack would be a huge loss for Xavier, and in most cases be a huge gain for any other program. I’ve had the pleasure of sitting in many practices, and as a high school coach myself, he’s a great coach. Runs great practices, great at X’s and O’s, and a players coach.
Why you so mad?
Somewhere in here there is a Mack and your Mom joke, but I’ll leave that alone.

Here is his record:

In the Atlantic 10

In the Big East
I'm not yet convinced he'll take the job. One thing I'm pretty sure of is that if they get even a remotely big name coach they will have to pay him about double what he is actually worth.

I'm not yet convinced he'll take the job. One thing I'm pretty sure of is that if they get even a remotely big name coach they will have to pay him about double what he is actually worth.
3 million to coach basketball.
4 million for boots to step into a shit-show.

Reactions: coach-2
Before taking the job - he should take a look at the Indiana/Crean history. No, not exact same situations - but both at low points for the program (and UL still doesn't know everything they are dealing with). Both fan bases are unreasonable and expect a quick fix (with no lasting effects of scandal). Crean found out it was harder than it sounded... a rabid fan base is not enough to overcome the deficits in recruiting, the scandalous history and to right every wrong QUICKLY. People in general are more and more impatient - and recovery from set-backs take longer and longer. It's a dumpster fire no matter how you slice it.

That record doesn't look that bad. Recruiting is 75% of coaching. If he can get better players at UL then maybe he'll have a chance to succeed.

The downside is that he'll have to get better players to compete in a much tougher conference. Maybe that's the challenge he wants.

And if penalties come, he has a built in excuse he can repeat all the way to the bank.

No matter who UL hires, there will be many on here who will diss him from day 1. Instead we all should pat him on the head and let him know that things will be alright even though it looks impossible; being comforting like any good BIG BROTHER.

Reactions: ganner918
the only thing that has happened is their temp AD ( who they now say will be announced will be their AD) met with Mack last night about the job. Bet you they offered but no word if he said he would take it. Probably go back and talk to AD at X since he went to school there and is close to all of them. No way can X offer that kind of money but sometimes security and happiness is better than a whore house

Mack is a good coach, but nothing more. Louisville has had a Hall of Famer on its sidelines since 1971. And that is over.

Mack loves Xavier, Xavier loves Mack. He’s a Cincy native. Totally guessing, but if he wasn’t interested in OSU (Chris Holtmann is making 7 million) then no way he’s interested in Louisville. To my knowledge his salary is unknown because X is a private school. Anyone know his salary?

you all realize he'll be able to get into more recruit's homes as the coach at Louisville in the ACC than Xavier in the A10?

Make no mistake, he's a good hire for them if they can get him. As it has been alluded to above....as someone who lives in this area and follows their team, I don't think its a walk off grand slam home run some are making it out to be...but its definitely a good result considering the circumstances.
Xavier is in the Big East....a very good basketball conference.

Mack would be a good hire given their circumstances. He's never been to a Final Four, and his recruiting is unknown. I assume it will be better at UL than at Xavier, but you never know considering the scandal that has yet to be resolved.

Massive change of scenery on the Louisville sidelines. Crazy to think that they have had a HOF coach since the early 70's (Crum and Pitino). With only two titles to show for it (80, 86) and very little success against the far superior UK.

100%. Losing Mack would be a huge loss for Xavier, and in most cases be a huge gain for any other program. I’ve had the pleasure of sitting in many practices, and as a high school coach myself, he’s a great coach. Runs great practices, great at X’s and O’s, and a players coach.
Why you so mad?
he wants to wait, there are multiple better jobs in the Acc (Duke, UNC,Miami,Syracuse) and several will open in the Big 10 and Somewhere in here there is a Mack and your Mom joke, but I’ll leave that alone.
Why in the world would mack take that job? He's making $3 million+ at X. That's $@300K per MONTH!!!! Why jump into a dumpster fire for extra money you do not need. If he wants to leave X (why in the world. Home town, no pressure,etc) he can get other better jobs in the ACC, big ten or Pac 12.

Why in the world would mack take that job? He's making $3 million+ at X. That's $@300K per MONTH!!!! Why jump into a dumpster fire for extra money you do not need. If he wants to leave X (why in the world. Home town, no pressure,etc) he can get other better jobs in the ACC, big ten or Pac 12.
I totally agree. I hope he stays out of Louisville for his own good.

Mack loves Xavier, Xavier loves Mack. He’s a Cincy native. Totally guessing, but if he wasn’t interested in OSU (Chris Holtmann is making 7 million) then no way he’s interested in Louisville. To my knowledge his salary is unknown because X is a private school. Anyone know his salary?

His wife is from Louisville and they have 3 young kids. Happy wife = happy life

That is the only reason he would take that job, but you can't under estimate how big of a factor that is. Due to location, UofL may be the only non blue blood school that could lure Mack away from Xavier

I am amused that UL fans seem to think because Pitino got
seven plus million a year they can continue to pay coaches in that range . Not gonna happen with Dave Grissom in charge and should not .
That’s not reality now that they can no longer use seven million of academic money for sports AND more importantly cannot steal sixty to a hundred million from their foundation .
They better start thinking in the two million dollar range if they can even afford that.

Also there really is a question as to whether their fans will buy premium tickets or pay for seventy thousand dollar boxes to watch a team of lousy recruits get hammered most nights for the next four or five years .
They will be at the bottom of the ACC for the next four or five years at least . Who wants to pay with money, time, and emotions to see that.
For those of us who were loyal during UKs last football probation don’t u remember how sad it was watching inferior athletes no one else wanted try and compete in the SEC .
That’s what they face and I don’t see any coach with an ego taking the job or UL being able to pay the bucks to get a good coach .

Why you so mad?
Somewhere in here there is a Mack and your Mom joke, but I’ll leave that alone.
LOL, not mad at all. Good response and now I know why you are a fan of CM. Sounds like you're close to him.

LOL, not mad at all. Good response and now I know why you are a fan of CM. Sounds like you're close to him.
My name is Kris Mack. Chris is my 2nd second.
Don’t get it twisted. I’m UK blue, through and through.
Anyways, Go Cats.

Reactions: kyjeff1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT