ADVERTISEMENT

1 pt Safety in college football

So, when Auburn advanced the missed FG a couple of years back in the Iron Bowl, why did that amount to 6 points and not 3? ;)

I understand what happened but I don't understand how Texas should be rewarded

Because the returner advanced the ball out of the End Zone

.And because the D can advance any kick, and he didn't just return it out of the end zone, he returned it all the way for a TD.

I still didn't see the one point play on the flubbed ep try, did the defender have possession and fumble it into the end zon, if so then yes, one point, I didn't see possession there so the impetus to put it in the end zone would have been the kick, so a touchback, not a one point safety. Did the D furnish the impetus (fumble) to put the ball in the end zone?

IF the D did recover the kick on the one yard line without being down and fumbled it into the end zone they yes, a one point play.

Another thought for you, although it was an EP try since the ball was a fumble and on the ground and the kicker kicked it should it have been an illegal kick?

I understand what happened but I don't understand how Texas should be rewarded
Because the defender didn’t make out of the end zone w the ball hence the safety.

Simply a rear scoring event. Kind of like if I defender grabs a field extra point attempt and runs back to the opposite end zone. It’s two points. It’s rare, but it’s in the rules.
(Kind of like the catchers balkin baseballFreakishly rare

Because the defender didn’t make out of the end zone w the ball hence the safety.

Simply a rear scoring event. Kind of like if I defender grabs a field extra point attempt and runs back to the opposite end zone. It’s two points. It’s rare, but it’s in the rules.
(Kind of like the catchers balkin baseballFreakishly rare

One of the rules in high school football I always wanted to see a coach exploit was a fair catch on a kickoff, the team had the option of using a free kick (D ten yards back) and if it went through the goal posts it was three points. Probably would have needed a penalty or two but could have happened. And if they had done it in a game I was reffing I would have counted it, the officials job is to enforce all the rules, not just the ones he likes. Finally after about 20 years they took that option away,, maybe someone somewhere took advantage of the rule.

Still not sure if the D recovered the ball at the goal line and fumbled it into the end zone in the clip above, if he didn't possess it then it wasn't a one point safety-------maybe he batted it into the end zone, another way it might have happened.

would the point count if the kicker kicked the ball and it bounced off the ground and through the goal post, like a high bounce onside kick?

If that would count then I can see this safety counting. If it would not count because the ball hit the ground after being kicked, then no safety here.

would the point count if the kicker kicked the ball and it bounced off the ground and through the goal post, like a high bounce onside kick?

If that would count then I can see this safety counting. If it would not count because the ball hit the ground after being kicked, then no safety here.

It would still be a free ball, any kick can be returned by the D I believe.

A bigger question in my mind is why wasn't it an illegal kick, isn't an EP supposed to be held by the holder?

It would still be a free ball, any kick can be returned by the D I believe.

A bigger question in my mind is why wasn't it an illegal kick, isn't an EP supposed to be held by the holder?
I believe a drop kick is still legal for an extra point or a FG, so the ball does not actually have to be held, as long as the ball hits the ground just prior to or as the kicker kicks the ball. You never see it any more, but at one time it was used occasionally.

Reactions: Cat06
I believe a drop kick is still legal for an extra point or a FG, so the ball does not actually have to be held, as long as the ball hits the ground just prior to or as the kicker kicks the ball. You never see it any more, but at one time it was used occasionally.

True, but that ball deliberately dropped is not considered a loose ball like one rolling around on the ground. Also interesting that the drop kick has to hit the ground to make it a dropkick, if not it is a regular kick and wouldn't score any points no matter what it did. For any "safety" to be scored the impetus that put the ball in the end zone has to come from the team defending that goal.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT