ADVERTISEMENT

1/3 of the way through the season, what are the issues that still need resolution? What are the strengths?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Issues:
1. Pass pro - hurts in multiple ways: have to keep TEs in to block rather than be offensive weapons, QBs don't make great decisions/throws when being hit, can't really take a chance on 2nd downs as we have to play to avoid 3rd and long
2. Finishing drives - have to get in the EZ more consistently, cannot settle for FGs; may be OC play calling, a busted assignment at a critical juncture, no RB who we know will move the pile for tough, inside yards; hard to say
3. Clock management - 12 years and counting; don't think this ever gets fixed
4. Getting stops on 3rd down - have seen some improvement the last couple of games, maybe that's a trend; but fanbase still holds their breath and crosses their fingers on 3rd and long
5. A few individuals still getting penalized, especially on offense - have to play cleaner against good teams
6. Odd, out of rhythm play calls - jet sweeps, slow developing pass plays, switching QBs in odd down-and-distance, having Wimsatt run the same play every time he enters the game, etc.; may be trending positively based on past two games although there were a couple of 'WTF' moments Saturday; Hamdan needs to continue to improve on game day (see #3 below)

Strengths:
1. Defense, when motivated and not blowing assignments on the back end, is very, very solid in all 3 levels
2. FG kicker is automatic (hope I didn't just jinx him)
3. Feels like Hamdan has a better idea of what to put into the game plan the past 2 games; hope that's a trend that continues
4. Feels like BV is starting to get more comfortable (have to remember that his 'experience' prior to this year translates to a RSFr basically), moving the pocket, throwing just a hair earlier to a spot, taking a checkdown to RB to avoid sack, etc.; same with Wimsatt in limited action; may relate directly to #3 above
5. Run blocking has been consistently good especially when you consider that our presumed RB1 hasn't seen a snap yet

Stoops and his mind boggling clock management for one offensive line and take Brock out of the game if the offense stalls with this offensive line Wyn gives us the best chance to score

From my observations the defensive calls and scheme seem much more aggressive than the past but we are still blowing coverages which has happened for 12 years.

Reactions: K_TIME
From my observations the defensive calls and scheme seem much more aggressive than the past but we are still blowing coverages which has happened for 12 years.
I see it, too. I wonder how it is that a philosophy that is based upon not giving up big plays succumbs to players blowing assignments and giving up huge, chunk plays. If anything, you'd think that coverages underneath might get blown and give up the 12-15 yarder, not deep coverage but we seem to just leave a receiver alone once a game for a big gain (sometimes TD). Can't do that with our offensive issues.

OL and pass rush.

A better than avg, or an elite pass rusher would put defense on another level.

An avg passing OL would allow us to utilize our playmakers more than we’re able to do at this time.

I don’t think we have an elite pass rusher unless he’s young. (Many teams don’t have one.) I also don’t see our passing OL getting considerably better. Consequently, we’re forced to rely on running game and quick passing game. Defensively, the lack of pass rush causes more soft coverage and conservative defense against the big play. We’ve won a lot of games this way outside of the Josh Allen years. It’ll be interesting to see if a young defender emerges.

1. O-line pass protection
2. Long developing, clunky passing game
2. Unable to get pressure on the opposing QB on 3rd downs.
3. Blown coverages in the secondary
4. Conservative coaching
5. Time management

Reactions: entropy13
Stoops' inability to learn how to manage a clock in late half or late game situations means we will NEVER win a conference title under him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT