ADVERTISEMENT

“You people think we should win every game…”

You just explained the state of Kansas Basketball.

KU has all of those things. Yeah, back about 15 years ago, they lost to teams like Wichita State, Bradley, Northern Iowa and one other mid major, but they have been one of the most consistent programs over the last 10 years. They've been a 1 seed multiple times, been in final fours and won a title.

My point is, KU is showing everyone that, even in the toughest conference, you can still win at a consisten level and be a consistent top 10 team.

Yes, the game changed, somewhere around the 2016 season. Programs that had a good stable system, seperated themselves from teams that don't have a sustainable system and unfortunately for us, we are one of the programs that has a program that is not built to work in today’s college basketball climate. Our coach isn't interested in adjusting to it either.

Cal thinks what he did from 09-17 should be enough to carry him to the end, well, it would be, if the end wasn't so disastrous.
Self's worst NCAA tournament seed is a #4. Let that sink in for a minute. He hasn't missed the tournament or had a losing season. They don't always have a top 5 recruiting class but he can assemble a roster and his teams have an identity of how they wanna play.
Get the guys to fit a system not fit a system to the best recruits you could sign that particular year.

@Indiana 2011.
@Florida 2013 when Noel got hurt
@Florida 2014
@aTm 2016 (technical foul)
@KU 2016
@Auburn last year (Tyty got hurt)

Not too many people are going to complain about losing true road games at ranked teams, but no UK fan is okay with losing games in Rupp and losing neutral court games against teams with less talent.
It happens on here
Every single loss. You can say it don't all you want but you know it does. There's never been a game UK should lose on this board

@Indiana 2011.
@Florida 2013 when Noel got hurt
@Florida 2014
@aTm 2016 (technical foul)
@KU 2016
@Auburn last year (Tyty got hurt)

Not too many people are going to complain about losing true road games at ranked teams, but no UK fan is okay with losing games in Rupp and losing neutral court games against teams with less talent.
I agree 100%, they should beat teams with less talent and be a lot better against top 25 teams.
Saturday night wasn't the case though and you can say fans were complaining about the whole season ,well we've already heard that. They've turned a corner in the last 3 weeks so why say it again if the Kansas game was it an acceptable loss

I agree 100%, they should beat teams with less talent and be a lot better against top 25 teams.
Saturday night wasn't the case though and you can say fans were complaining about the whole season ,well we've already heard that. They've turned a corner in the last 3 weeks so why say it again if the Kansas game was it an acceptable loss
Damn I am sick of your pompous ass

ignored

Reactions: STL_Cat
No you're right. It's a dumb thing to say.
I mean there's probably some subset of the fanbase that would be upset at 20-1. But I don't even know why the head coach of UK would pay those any mind.

But we aren't 20-1 Cal, we are 14-7.
People aren't complaining because we aren't 20-1, they are complaining because we are 14-7.
Quote should be: We'd have fans upset if we were 20-1, so I know my azz is going to get lit up at 14-7!

Last edited:
Yes Kansas game was expected and acceptable thats whats happens when playing the team with the most ncaa wins and has one of the best coach’s in college basketball.

Reactions: dl51344
Whose fault is it that Saturday night wasn't the case? Isn't it Cal's job to recruit and coach the best teams?

Reactions: dl51344 and STL_Cat
Self's worst NCAA tournament seed is a #4. Let that sink in for a minute. He hasn't missed the tournament or had a losing season. They don't always have a top 5 recruiting class but he can assemble a roster and his teams have an identity of how they wanna play.
Get the guys to fit a system not fit a system to the best recruits you could sign that particular year.
Every year he has an upperclassmen stud that came up through the program and a stud freshman. That’s doing it right.

This year, it's Wilson, next year, it'll be someone else that's on the current roster.

We aren’t the gold standard, they are.

It happens on here
Every single loss. You can say it don't all you want but you know it does. There's never been a game UK should lose on this board
Again, it's how we lost those games.
The 2017 loss to uNC was all on the refs, nobody complained about Cal.
Name a loss that was blamed in Cal, that shouldn't have been.

No loss at Rupp is acceptable unless there are circumstances that led to multiple players being out.

We were favored, we had all the advantages, we have the highest paid coach and a returning NPOY and we lost. Not acceptable.

No loss at Rupp is acceptable unless there are circumstances that led to multiple players being out.

We were favored, we had all the advantages, we have the highest paid coach and a returning NPOY and we lost. Not acceptable.
it so rare for UK to even play a traditional powerhouse program at Rupp

by my count we've played Kansas 3 times (L, W, L) and UCLA (L) once since 2016, and that's it.

I didn't realize it was that bad. 7 Seasons and we've only played 4 bluebloods at Rupp. and we have 1 win to show for it.

Biggest homecourt advantage in all of college basketball and UK won't play home and home series.

For any coach who doesn't have the program over a barrel with a stupid contract, that's a gots to go situation.

Last edited:
We should also be able to beat some teams with more talent - although there aren't many out there - due to the coaching efforts, knowledge and skill of the head coach. That's what we pay him for.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz

by my count we've played Kansas 3 times (L, W, L) and UCLA (L) once since 2016, and that's it.

I didn't realize it was that bad. 7 Seasons and we've only played 4 bluebloods at Rupp. and we have 1 win to show for it.

Biggest homecourt advantage in all of college basketball and UK won't play home and home series.

For any coach who doesn't have the program over a barrel with a stupid contract, that's a gots to go situation.
And yet we have fans that don't understand why we're pissed. They act like everything is fine and we rarely lose.

KU is a better program right now, duke and uNC are better programs right now and UCLA has been getting the best of us.

I get why Cal thinks he's doing a good job, but I'm confused at how any UK fan can think everything that has happened the last 3 years, is anything but unacceptable.

What even more confusing is they actually believe Cal is going to turn it around. That’s sooo laughable.

Reactions: bigbluedon
You may not expect it because you may be more intelligent than some... Tell me which loss to end the year you were good with? Which loss was all of the fans ok with? Hell name a game we lost, and nobody got on here complaining and talking about how horrible we are. Going back as far as you can remember?
All losses sting if you are a fan of the program. The ones your team should have won sting more. The ones with higher stakes can sting more because of the contextual magnitude. Of course you could point to a thread after any loss UK to find someone complaining. Hell, UK fans complain about aspects of games that we win too (and being fans, the paying customers, they are justified with providing fair criticism about in-game decisions in wins). Whether all fans are happy or not is inconsequential. Find me any fanbase with 100% satisfaction.

I am fine with justified losses though I prefer to see our guys win. If UK plays hard, the coaches put us in a position to win, and we lose anyway, you just tip your hat to the other team. Sometimes the other team just catches fire (re: the Crispin brothers) and you just shake your head and move on to the next game. I can think of many losses where I couldn't complain about the game due to our effort. For example, I was excited during the 1989-1990 season despite the 14-14 record because I could see what Rick was building and our guys worked their asses off to compete. I've been proud of our guys after losses since then (e.g., 2005 vs. Michigan St and 2014 vs. UConn) too. Both of those losses ended their respective seasons, but we were beat by better teams--and in UConn's case, a star player reaching his peak. I watched the 2014 game on a cruise with a bunch of Connecticut fans. We talked after in admiration of how the Huskies were playing and how well the Cats turned their season around. It was a great ride missing the fairy tale ending, but it was still satisfying because our guys matured, represented the program well, and beat an undefeated Wichita State team and Louisville on the road the Final 4. The 2013-2014 season also gave us plenty of excitement for the following season.

Reactions: Midway Cat
Bluebloods in Rupp prior to 2014 (and before anyone jumps in with the Indiana isn't a blueblood - be careful living in your glass house)

12/11/1976​
Kansas at KentuckyW
12/5/1977​
Indiana at KentuckyW
12/9/1978​
Kansas at KentuckyW
12/15/1979​
Indiana at KentuckyW
3/13/1980​
Kentucky vs. DukeL
12/13/1980​
Kansas at KentuckyW
12/8/1981​
Indiana at KentuckyW
12/3/1983​
Indiana at KentuckyW
12/7/1985​
Indiana at KentuckyW
2/28/1988​
Syracuse at KentuckyW
12/20/1988​
Indiana at KentuckyL
12/8/1990​
Kansas at KentuckyW
12/4/1991​
Massachusetts at KentuckyW
2/5/1995​
Syracuse at KentuckyW
12/23/1999​
Michigan State at KentuckyW
12/8/2001​
North Carolina at KentuckyW
12/14/2002​
Michigan State at KentuckyL
1/3/2004​
1/9/2005​
Kansas at KentuckyL
12/3/2005​
North Carolina at KentuckyL
12/9/2006​
Indiana at KentuckyW
12/1/2007​
North Carolina at KentuckyL
12/13/2008​
Indiana at KentuckyW
12/5/2009​
12/11/2010​
Indiana at KentuckyW
12/3/2011​
12/13/2014​

that is a .77 winning percentage. I included 1991 UMass because of who coached. Did not include a #18 win over Navy and excluded other good teams who were not considered bluebloods

Saturday night wasn't the case though
and you can say fans were complaining about the whole season ,well we've already heard that. They've turned a corner in the last 3 weeks so why say it again if the Kansas game was it an acceptable loss
Ummmmmmm...

Jalen Wilson--51
Grady Dick--16
KJ Adams--66
Dajuan Harris--94
Kevin McCullar---4*
MJ Rice---28
Udeh---29

Cason Wallace---8
Oscar----------28
Livingston--11
Collins---12
Ware---39
Wheeler-89
Reeves---Not sure
Fredrick--3*
Toppin--UR

May I add UK returns the NPOY?

At one time UK fans did think we should win every game..... right now think we are at 10 loss Tubby level. But hell at least Tubby never gave us a losing record in a season

At one time UK fans did think we should win every game..... right now think we are at 10 loss Tubby level. But hell at least Tubby never gave us a losing record in a season
Tubby never gave us much of anything... Good or bad . Alot of coaches with an all freshmen team during a pandemic would give you anomaly type years . Which is what that was.... An anomaly. I assume you know what that word means .
The year before was a really solid team heading into the tournament with a 2 seed. A team that had great college guards and shot 82% from free throw line.
Lastyear. A 2 seed with a solid season.
Alot of people disregard the 21 season all together

It’s a good thing they started the SEC vs Big 12 matchup or there would just be one .

Reactions: TankedCat
We have to accept that we will lose 6-12 games a season. We have to understand these kids, recruits don't remember or even knew Kentucky was once a big school. They just come here because Cal gets players in the pros. Cal spends more time caring about that then his job here.

I don't expect much from this program anymore. This program is gone.

I remember my buddy from VA in the early 90s 92-94 or so the dude we were pretty tight. He says. “I’ve never been somewhere where the entire city is depressed after a loss”. That’s what he said about Lexington. How Lexington these days after a loss? People aren’t living and dying with UK bb and that is a massive problem for the future. People are like “you watch the game?” “Oh well”. Losing is becoming a habit at a place where it never has. It has to be fixed immediately or we will become not a school who wins it every ten years rather a school that maybe gets to a FF every ten years.

But the talent we have in the returning player of the Year this team should be no worse than 18-4 right now

Yes I think Kentucky should win every game. Not going to but what Coach , player, or fan would think otherwise?

ADVERTISEMENT