ADVERTISEMENT

“So are we content? Not at all.” Coach Kenny Payne being straight up!

HICATFAN

All-SEC
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Kailua, Hawaii
Love the way Coach Payne lays it out

Kenny Payne: “So are we content? Not at all.”
by Larry Vaught

Green-overtime-177x300.jpg

Quade Green (Vicky Graff Photo)

By LARRY VAUGHT

Winning is always good, but Kentucky assistant coach Kenny Payne knew Tuesday's dramatic overtime win over Vanderbilt was not one filled with happy thoughts for UK.

"I'm not happy at all. I'm sure Coach Calipari is not happy at all. We are thankful we won the game, but the coaching staff's not happy because we're trying to trend in a direction," Payne said.

"We're trying to build this team up to play a certain way to be ready for SEC Tournament play, to be ready for an NCAA run and to be honest with you, the way we played that first half, tentative, not aggressive, not communicating on defense.

"Defensive lapses, you're going to get beat if you're playing tournament basketball like that. So are we content? Not at all. Will we be harder on the players? Believe me, we will.
"

Kentucky has now overcome second-half deficits of 17 and 14 points to win its last two games against West Virginia and Vanderbilt. That has shown Payne the team has a "will to win" but that doesn't mean wins should be this hard to get.

"I would like for us as a team -- and I'm sure Cal's the same -- to play those last five or six minutes, play the game like that and let's see how good we are. Let's all 12 guys or 14 guys that suited up in the jersey, you step on that floor, all of you guys are playing 40 minutes of basketball the way you ended that game, the way you ended the five minutes at West Virginia, and let's see how good we are," Payne said. "If we can figure that out, man, we're going to be tough to beat.
"

AlohaCat

b.gif

It is clear this team is still trying to find their identity. Players are starting to get more comfortable with their roles, but have a long way to go. Their inexperience in playing as a cohesive team and lack of mental toughness get them into holes while, their effort and athleticism bail them out in the end.

Would like to see them take ownership of playing with full effort for 40 minutes and committing to help their teammates out on both offense and defense. It would be awesome to have this entire team back for one more year. They would be top five all next year if they came back.

Reactions: HICATFAN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT