ADVERTISEMENT

“KyKy Tandy”

Kentucky isn't for everyone. We've heard it over and over again, but it actually has many connotations. Sometimes it refers to talent level; sometimes it refers to a player's ability to handle the pressure. But probably more than anything else, Cal is talking about a player's ability to grasp the idea of shared sacrifice.

He might -- and I emphasize MIGHT -- let a player like Anthony Davis and his camp mouth off about playing time and roster configuration BEFORE he ever steps foot on campus. He sure as heck isn't going to let a player the caliber of KyKy do that. Kentucky isn't for everyone, and Cal has rightly decided KyKy fits in that category.

I'm not being a homer for my city....but Kyky is a major division 1 player. Maybe not Duke, UK, or Kansas...but not everyone is that level.

When:
Oklahoma (2016 Final 4, had some good nba guys over the years
Florida (2 National title, 1 overall seed in 2014, and multiple NBA guys)
Iowa State (Power 5 tournament contender over the past few years)
Kansas State (Put us out and Bruce Weber knows talent)
Tennessee (Rick Barnes knows top talent)
Auburn (Want to doubt Bruce Pearl's knowledge)

When those guys make him a priority...he's a darn good player. Dom Hawkins was only getting looked at by Morehead before we swooped in and got him.

Wrong south Caroline was begging for dom he would have been the starter their for 4 years, but his love for UK kept him here those are the only Kentucky kids we need. Kentucky high school basketball is one of the worst in the country we don’t produce talent like Texas, New York and Florida

Pops means well, thinks he knows what is best, but his comments were dumb and unfortunate. We all miscalculate at times. This was one of those times for him. Why get uppity? Just let it play. If he got an offer, KyKy could turn it down, but his dad shut the door. Any school recruiting the kid should have concerns and should make sure dad is not going to cause problems. Iowa St is telling the kid he can play his game. That evidently looks like how OU let Young play last year. That does not work at UK. And if KyKy doesn’t think he can compete for playing time, he best go to Iowa State.

So, his dad probably didn’t change much, but that should have been KyKy’s call, IMO.

Reactions: JonathanUSAF
I moved on after his Dad's comments and I ain't nobody. You know Cal did. Ain't nobody holding Cal and UK hostage nowadays.

Good for a four year guy. Was going to be looked at as a C. Hawkins type but nothing more. Nothing wrong with that but he seemed to think he was Labron James.

I don't believe he is a Hawkins type. Hawkins was a leader, who didn't complain about playing time, but, was ready to come in and contribute when he was needed. He played great defense and didn't have to have his shots. I am nowhere convinced that he is that type of player. He, and UK, are better off with him playing elsewhere.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
I really wanted a homegrown UK kid. However, his dad ruined it. Cal (and the team and fans) don't need another Lavar Ball. There would be a lot of bald heads in the stands from people pulling their hair out over that idiot. I am disappointed but I would rather win. Go Cal and and Go Cats!!!!!

Reactions: kev69
I'm just saying...watch the kid for yourself in person. Height is the ONLY reason he is not a top 25 player. He has unlimited range shooting and is a highly efficient % from deep. Crazy athletic....just watch him one time and you will see.
6/23 from 3 in 7 Under Armour AAU games that they kept stats on.

80% FT shooter, and 2nd leading scorer on what is a pretty well-known team (behind #66 rated Jaykwon Martin), so that at least bodes well.

Tandy is 139 in the 247 rankings (the most frequently updated of all the services). He'll need to outperform that to make a big impact in a power conference. That's high 3 star, which generally means kids good enough to get scholarships in power conferences, but not guaranteed starters anytime soon, and rarely All-Conference types.

I really wanted a homegrown UK kid. However, his dad ruined it. Cal (and the team and fans) don't need another Lavar Ball. There would be a lot of bald heads in the stands from people pulling their hair out over that idiot. I am disappointed but I would rather win. Go Cal and and Go Cats!!!!!

giphy.gif

If you would rather win, then why do you care where a kid comes from?

Because I am from Kentucky and I am sentimental. I would like to have both but it doesn't seem possible.
I'm from Kentucky as well and I would prefer to have more than 3 days of spring, but I can't have what isn't out there. There is more to "KyKy" than his father being "outspoken". I'm GLAD UK stopped recruiting him. One day you might too.

I'm from Kentucky as well and I would prefer to have more than 3 days of spring, but I can't have what isn't out there. There is more to "KyKy" than his father being "outspoken". I'm GLAD UK stopped recruiting him. One day you might too.
I, too am glad they stopped recruiting him. I must not have made myself clear. I agree with you.

Reactions: Cindog28
If he ends up another Chris Lofton type not in a UK uniform that is going to sting.

Hoping for a poor mans Julius Mayes.

Hate the dad got too involved . I wanted the kid . Afraid this one is going to bite us in the ass down the road .

He can be Lofton and this time Cal and UK will be a lot better equipped than OTS and UK were then. No doubt about it.

Also, Dontaie Allen is seemingly the instate kid that everyone clamors about. More of Hawkins in attitude work hard,, expect to work out hard and earn his time.

That's just it. Ole OTS never darkened his door from what I remember... (I made the excuse for Tubby.)
Same thing with McDonald's All-American Scotty Hopson. Tubby never set foot on Hopson's high school campus to recruit him, despite the fact that one recruiting service had Hopson as a top-10 national recruit. As the old saying goes. If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail. It's easy to see why Tubby has gone from UK to where he is now.

Same thing with McDonald's All-American Scotty Hopson. Tubby never set foot on Hopson's high school campus to recruit him, despite the fact that one recruiting service had Hopson as a top-10 national recruit. As the old saying goes. If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail. It's easy to see why Tubby has gone from UK to where he is now.

Heck he's at a High Point in his career....[eyeroll]

Reactions: AFSTALLION13
I predict he will attend Oklahoma or Cincinnati.
Good luck to him.
Don't count WKU out because his new high school coach played at Western. I have no idea how good the kid is, but I believe he will be better than Dom if he stays in college four years! And I loved Dom!

Talk a few weeks back was Iowa St was the leader. Hopefully he goes out of confence so the butthurt brigade will have less to complain about.

He and his dad were stupid. This would have been a kid that would have developed attending a program like Kentucky. He would not have been a starter his Freshman season nor possibly as a sophmore. But, he likely would have been a fan favorite, and if his father is right about him, could have become a star by his Junior and Senior year with the complete amount of media attention a player at Kentucky will receive (and unlike just about every other program). They blew it pure and simple. No going back, too bad.

Am I a minority here thinking that what his dad said isn't too crazy? His dad recognizes the beast that Cal has built and if you're not damn good, you won't get much clock and you will get over recruited. He simply wants what is best for his son. If playing time is important to the kid then KY is probably not the best place for him. It's not like Kentucky is the only way to get to the pros.[/QUOTE

Of course what his dad said isn't too crazy. He was right. But that isn't the real issue here. The problem with his dad is that he went public with it and it effectively ended his UK recruitment. Cal will not play these games with parents. But if he really wanted his kid to be the man somewhere, he could have privately told Cal "no thanks" and let his kid get recruited by someone else. I'm starting to feel like they strung it along long enough to generate interest from other big schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT