ADVERTISEMENT

“I don’t care about our record”

I didnt say his words last night were a recruiting pitch, they were to take heat off the kids, and i referenced this was not not unlike when Cal spouts off things that makes our fans go crazy they usually are meant for recruiting...

Regardless, this fanbase should know by now how to take Cal...

So true. The coach speak is so obvious, I get baffled as to how anyone could misunderstand. I guess we have a special set of fans that believe Cal makes public statements for them alone.

Reactions: brianpoe
In postgame straight from Kentucky Basketball Twitter, Coach Cal says “I don’t care about our record or my record, it’s about these kids and I’ve failed them in some ways”.

So apparently the program’s record doesn’t matter now either. I’ll add that to the list of the front of the jersey not mattering either.

This is embarrassing.

I think people are taking his comments out of context to suit their agendas. What Cal means is that if he gets these kids to develop, the record takes care of itself.

Didnt read the hours worth of comments but from page 1 it seems like we are divided into 2 camps ( according to posters here) dumb ignorant rednecks who shouldnt believe what the coach says or total apologist who have to decipher what Coach really says and its meaning , not what comes out of his mouth . I just wish Coach would quit the word games , quit the Coach Speak , quit the damn mind games and coach the team . No way we should be this bad this late in the year. There is so much more he can do other than rile up people with his comments , whether they piss off the Einstiens or the Billy Bob's , its not his job to play games with fans . Our society is a what have you done for me lately society and his losing games he shouldnt losing isnt buying him any good will.

Didnt read the hours worth of comments but from page 1 it seems like we are divided into 2 camps ( according to posters here) dumb ignorant rednecks who shouldnt believe what the coach says or total apologist who have to decipher what Coach really says and its meaning , not what comes out of his mouth . I just wish Coach would quit the word games , quit the Coach Speak , quit the damn mind games and coach the team . No way we should be this bad this late in the year. There is so much more he can do other than rile up people with his comments , whether they piss off the Einstiens or the Billy Bob's , its not his job to play games with fans . Our society is a what have you done for me lately society and his losing games he shouldnt losing isnt buying him any good will.

I dont think we were favored the last 3 games....

And just because people are called out for not understanding coach speak doesnt mean they are apologizing for Cal.

I guarantee if Cal read my posts he wouldnt think i was defending him.

Reactions: ManitouDan
I think people are taking his comments out of context to suit their agendas. What Cal means is that if he gets these kids to develop, the record takes care of itself.

I don’t have an agenda. I just want to win while honoring the front of the jersey, our tradition and program. I love Cal. I don’t have to love everything he says.

Reactions: CHAMPCAT11
My friend, I’m as calm as can be. If childish people want to question fans of their own team on their education, financial status, intelligence and IQ, we’re in a worst world than I thought. I couldn’t care less it’s me that’s the apparent target here. Just pointing out that it’s quite “stupid” as you and your bud like to say, that we’ve come to this. It’s immature and laughable to bring those kind of insults out for differing opinions on an Internet message board.

However, as always I hope Cal turns it around with these guys, as doubtful as that is. I also think he needs to be more sensitive to the program first, State first, tradition first mindset of the portion of the fan base and not say dumb things. As always, I love all my BBN brothers, even the much more intelligent than I (obviously) brianpoe and irishcat. May we win #9 sooner than later.

Words like stupid are used because we cant cuss each other like we would in person while drinking and watching this piss poor display of basketball...

I don’t have an agenda. I just want to win while honoring the front of the jersey, our tradition and program. I love Cal. I don’t have to love everything he says.

No one said you had to love everything he says, you also don't have to break every statement down and try to discredit what Cal says. Anyone that doesn't think our record is killing him, is just plain wrong.

No one said you had to love everything he says, you also don't have to break every statement down and try to discredit what Cal says. Anyone that doesn't think our record is killing him, is just plain wrong.

I feel like I’m on trial here. To correct you, I have not attempted to break down every statement down. I don’t have enough time in my life to get worked up over everything he says. I don’t think you’ll find many posts from my background starting threads on the dissection of what Cal says. It’s okay for people who do have those problems with him often to voice those though. It’s a message board.

In postgame straight from Kentucky Basketball Twitter, Coach Cal says “I don’t care about our record or my record, it’s about these kids and I’ve failed them in some ways”.

So apparently the program’s record doesn’t matter now either. I’ll add that to the list of the front of the jersey not mattering either.

This is embarrassing.

The only thing embarrassing is our fan's and how they act and take everything a man says to heart.

It’s not about winning and losing for either of us as far as this thread. I would hope we would all want to know what Cal said and context of why he said it. Having said that, I apologize for my early post.

I appreciate that. We should all be able to communicate without name calling and making people feel bad about themselves. Water under the bridge. We all want the same thing, for our Cats to win. I love everyone in and everything about BBN.

Reactions: ManitouDan
2013 was going to make the tournament easily before the best player in the country tore his ACL
I seemed to remember fans not happy that season also. We were struggling against weak competition with a healthy Nerlens. My point is Cal realized what we needed and it all come together in 2014 after some bumps along the way.

This is the exact quote...and pretty much the context of the rest of his statements.

"My concern is these kids," Calipari said. "And I'm not worried about record, my record, my whatever you want to say. I'm old now. We get on a run and we go to the Final Four this year, it doesn't change me, but I'll tell you what. It helps these kids. We go the wrong way and we don't get it going it's affecting these kids."

1. Cal needs to stop saying stuff like this. it's just plain goofy at this point. The players first stuff is really alienating an increasing amount of fanbase and he'd be able to accomplish the dreams of poor kids going to NBA w/o saying this stuff all the time.
2. Kids like Humphries, Matthews, Briscoe would have helped this squad and all should easily be still at UK. But the oddity of our roster changing so much the decent kids but not elite kids just don't stick at UK for some reason.

This is the exact quote...and pretty much the context of the rest of his statements.

"My concern is these kids," Calipari said. "And I'm not worried about record, my record, my whatever you want to say. I'm old now. We get on a run and we go to the Final Four this year, it doesn't change me, but I'll tell you what. It helps these kids. We go the wrong way and we don't get it going it's affecting these kids."

1. Cal needs to stop saying stuff like this. it's just plain goofy at this point. The players first stuff is really alienating an increasing amount of fanbase and he'd be able to accomplish the dreams of poor kids going to NBA w/o saying this stuff all the time.
2. Kids like Humphries, Matthews, Briscoe would have helped this squad and all should easily be still at UK. But the oddity of our roster changing so much the decent kids but not elite kids just don't stick at UK for some reason.

So Cal is responsible for Briscoe not liking school and hell bent on leaving no matter what?

So Cal is responsible for Hump not hearing what he wanted regarding future NBA prospects and taking option 2 which was playing for his country for several hundred thousand dollars instead of playing for free at UK for 2 more years for me and you? Was Cal responsible for him being homesick...10,000 miles away?

Was Cal responsible for Matthews leaving after just one season? Every school has transfers, we have had much fewer than Duke.

You people know that over 65 or so underclassmen left the draft last year right?

So Cal is responsible for Briscoe not liking school and hell bent on leaving no matter what?

So Cal is responsible for Hump not hearing what he wanted regarding future NBA prospects and taking option 2 which was playing for his country for several hundred thousand dollars instead of playing for free at UK for 2 more years for me and you? Was Cal responsible for him being homesick...10,000 miles away?

Was Cal responsible for Matthews leaving after just one season? Every school has transfers, we have had much fewer than Duke.

You people know that over 65 or so underclassmen left the draft last year right?
So slow down and think roster management in this perspective.

1. You say Cal has no control over kids wanting to leave for overseas, NBA, transfer, etc..
2. Why can't the same argument have been used for any coach in recruiting (Tubby/Gillespie )
- Is it Tubby's fault Brandon Wright didn't want to come to UK and we settled on Perry Stevenson type kids
- Is it Tubby's fault he couldn't recruit legit Centers and had Lukas Orbzut/Shagari Alleyne on roster
- Is it Tubby fault Jamont Gordon didn't want to come and settled for Adam Williams/Mike Porter type kids.

At the end of day...college coaches have a huge part of their job to attract and maintain good rosters. Recruiting is huge and is mainly why Cal got the UK job. But other schools don't have near the roster turnover that UK does and this is extremely moreso at UK for the marginal kids. In the end, it is Cal's job to find a way to keep Humphries, Marcus Lee, Matthews, Briscoe, Dakari, etc... kids at UK vs. this constant crap. And it is for sure hurting UK's ability to win.

This is embarrassing.

Our record and his record takes care of itself if he gets through to the kids....come on, man.

So slow down and think roster management in this perspective.

1. You say Cal has no control over kids wanting to leave for overseas, NBA, transfer, etc..
2. Why can't the same argument have been used for any coach in recruiting (Tubby/Gillespie )
- Is it Tubby's fault Brandon Wright didn't want to come to UK and we settled on Perry Stevenson type kids
- Is it Tubby's fault he couldn't recruit legit Centers and had Lukas Orbzut/Shagari Alleyne on roster
- Is it Tubby fault Jamont Gordon didn't want to come and settled for Adam Williams/Mike Porter type kids.

At the end of day...college coaches have a huge part of their job to attract and maintain good rosters. Recruiting is huge and is mainly why Cal got the UK job. But other schools don't have near the roster turnover that UK does and this is extremely moreso at UK for the marginal kids. In the end, it is Cal's job to find a way to keep Humphries, Marcus Lee, Matthews, Briscoe, Dakari, etc... kids at UK vs. this constant crap. And it is for sure hurting UK's ability to win.

Yes I am telling you that coaches dont have that much influence on kids that are hell bent on leaving.

Unless the coach is willing to sugarcoat PT or whatever else the player wants.

Cal told Dakari to stay... so what?

Players transfer.....

How do you tell Hump to stay? What is it you tell the guy that has already heard from the NBA?

Stay and play for free for me for 2 years even though the NBA doesnt want you, and stay away from home and playing for our country because our fans need you to play for them more than your country's people do....?

Im not going to address Tubby and recruiting because that makes no sense.

Reactions: BlueElvis
Yes I am telling you that coaches dont have that much influence on kids that are hell bent on leaving.

Unless the coach is willing to sugarcoat PT or whatever else the player wants.

Cal told Dakari to stay... so what?

Players transfer.....

How do you tell Hump to stay? What is it you tell the guy that has already heard from the NBA?

Stay and play for free for me for 2 years even though the NBA doesnt want you, and stay away from home and playing for our country because our fans need you to play for them more than your country's people do....?

Im not going to address Tubby and recruiting because that makes no sense.
I agree with you BP, but I still feel like Humph should have got more minutes while he was here..

ADVERTISEMENT