ADVERTISEMENT

“I don’t care about our record”

I kinda agree with Cal on this.

Because of what matters most. Staying healthy, not taking shortcuts, getting experience....We drill into our heads "win" "win" "win".......

but at what cost?

Should our guys get hurt, what good does it do to win? Case in point, just one player' nerlens noel got hurt. We end up going to the nit...........

As bill hicks used to say, "Life's a ride"

UK basketball team is still on that ride, it has its ups and downs...sometimes one game is worth a tick in the loss column.....other times its worth a trip to the final four.......

We cant judge this team yet and decide our fate prematurely.

I kinda agree with Cal on this.

Because of what matters most. Staying healthy, not taking shortcuts, getting experience....We drill into our heads "win" "win" "win".......

but at what cost?

Should our guys get hurt, what good does it do to win? Case in point, just one player' nerlens noel got hurt. We end up going to the nit...........

As bill hicks used to say, "Life's a ride"

UK basketball team is still on that ride, it has its ups and downs...sometimes one game is worth a tick in the loss column.....other times its worth a trip to the final four.......

We cant judge this team yet and decide our fate prematurely.

Stay healthy for what? The NBA combine?..lay it on the line and play hard every opportunity you have while you are here..this is getting ridiculous..

I like your optimism, but I don't see how UK beats Alabama at this point even at home. Team just doesn't have it. They could They might. But I actually hate to admit I'd be slightly surprised.

And that's sad.

Goes without saying we've been spoiled with some special players the last few years...unfortunately, apart from Knox, we're looking a 2, 3 and even
four year players on this roster. It certainly sucks right now but may pay dividends in spades next year.

Cal has got to land a dominant glass cleaner or next season may be rocky as well. <sigh>

Goes without saying we've been spoiled with some special players the last few years...unfortunately, apart from Knox, we're looking a 2, 3 and even
four year players on this roster. It certainly sucks right now but may pay dividends in spades next year.

Cal has got to land a dominant glass cleaner or next season may be rocky as well. <sigh>
Good post.

Reactions: crpoore

Here is the issue. You will have 3 leave because they think they are NBA ready regardless. Then you will have 1 transfer because they feel like they failed (but not getting to be one and done) and will always have to battle incoming recruits for playing time in their career. So you probably lose 4 - which is the most frustrating thing about all of this. I have no problem if you are a top 15 pick but why leave if not even projected in top 25?

Are biggest issue is we don’t have that “stud” coming in next year. A bunch of good players but no one like Wall, Cousins, Davis, Towns type player. We need those to make one and done successful and we are losing those to Duke

its not that we lost to an unranked team tonight.............maybe we should pad our schedule like some teams do....i think deep down Cal loves to win.......he's just trying to tell us that we got more at stake than the regular season win-loss record. I hope.

Here is the issue. You will have 3 leave because they think they are NBA ready regardless. Then you will have 1 transfer because they feel like they failed (but not getting to be one and done) and will always have to battle incoming recruits for playing time in their career. So you probably lose 4 - which is the most frustrating thing about all of this. I have no problem if you are a top 15 pick but why leave if not even projected in top 25?

Are biggest issue is we don’t have that “stud” coming in next year. A bunch of good players but no one like Wall, Cousins, Davis, Towns type player. We need those to make one and done successful and we are losing those to Duke

I agree about the transfer (Diallo) but I'm not sold on anyone leaving sans Knox. SGA has regressed because he's obviously tried to do too much.

Vando would be the only other one sniffing a pick on potential...I see him declaring but coming back.

its not that we lost to an unranked team tonight.............maybe we should pad our schedule like some teams do....i think deep down Cal loves to win.......he's just trying to tell us that we got more at stake than the regular season win-loss record. I hope.
and that is what?

Not going to NIT. Some of you need to get a grip.

Honestly, if we don't make the NCAAT, I wouldn't accept bid to the NIT. It's a losers tournament and you are playing for almost nothing except the chance to lose to a team like Robert Morris. Why go?

hope he's banking on winning either the sec tourney or at least making the ncaa tourney... my hope is that we play to sweet 16. you cant say that we cant... we've already beat the likes of west virginia, va tech, early on we beat a vermont team that previously made the ncaa tourney....we've played close games......heck, tonight we were winning the game in the second half for several minutes.... We cant give up. There are a lot more games to be played.

3 dont leave for the pros.

Knox leaves for the pros. (Fragile little thing... I wish him well)

Shai actually heeds the advice that he has no position as of yet.

Big Baller terminated their offer to Diallo after this game.

Who transfers? Tai dont count.

They are all back but Knox and you couldn't be more correct in that we still do not have that stud coming...

If I had to pick who would transfer, I'd guess SKJ

I get the not going to the NIT, but if invited we'll go to the NIT.

Reactions: lmhurst
hope he's banking on winning either the sec tourney or at least making the ncaa tourney... my hope is that we play to sweet 16. you cant say that we cant... we've already beat the likes of west virginia, va tech, early on we beat a vermont team that previously made the ncaa tourney....we've played close games......heck, tonight we were winning the game in the second half for several minutes.... We cant give up. There are a lot more games to be played.

We are only missing a few key pieces to get to that S16...

Point Guard
Shooting Guard
Offense on the block
Lane defender
Zone defense
Man defense
The ability to shoot the ball
and
Basic understanding of the game of basketball...

Get those straightened out and we are on our way...

If I had to pick who would transfer, I'd guess SKJ

Why? The kid has nothing but opportunity in front of him...? No bigs coming next year and Tai is most likely gone.

The transfer makes no sense basketball wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: catben
Hamidou is 6'5" Labissiere at this point. He's awful, yet Cal keeps playing him. I'll never get it.

Skal didnt produce but wasnt near the extreme liability Hami has shown lately...

Skal could actually hit an open shot and block some shots. 2 years of not playing organized ball and Cal forcing him into the block... Skal had an excuse.

Hami...................

Reactions: kev69 and CatPhight
3 dont leave for the pros.

Knox leaves for the pros. (Fragile little thing... I wish him well)

Shai actually heeds the advice that he has no position as of yet.

Big Baller terminated their offer to Diallo after this game.

Who transfers? Tai dont count.

They are all back but Knox and you couldn't be more correct in that we still do not have that stud coming...
I take your point, but 2 years ago did anyone see Villanova with that stud? If we get everyone back except Knox and Diallo and Richards improves his shot blocking and offense, we could be a damn good team if the 3 recruits turn out to be as good as advertised. Herro is just barely a 5 star, but then Shai was only a 4 star and he's been our best player. Quickley can light it up too and Keldon Johnson could turn out to be a damn good player. Nothing guaranteed, but we certainly could be good next year. It may be a lot like 2011.

Reactions: catben and brianpoe
We are only missing a few key pieces to get to that S16...

Point Guard
Shooting Guard
Offense on the block
Lane defender
Zone defense
Man defense
The ability to shoot the ball
and
Basic understanding of the game of basketball...

Get those straightened out and we are on our way...
Well Hell...that's easy...[laughing]

Last edited:
Reactions: catben and brianpoe
I take your point, but 2 years ago did anyone see Villanova with that stud? If we get everyone back except Knox and Diallo and Richards improves his shot blocking and offense, we could be a damn good team if the 3 recruits turn out to be as good as advertised. Herro is just barely a 5 star, but then Shai was only a 4 star and he's been our best player. Quickley can light it up too and Keldon Johnson could turn out to be a damn good player. Nothing guaranteed, but we certainly could be good next year. It may be a lot like 2011.

See my thread..

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/there-is-reason-for-optimism.257928/#post-6631344

Skal didnt produce but wasnt near the extreme liability Hami has shown lately...

Skal could actually hit an open shot and block some shots. 2 years of not playing organized ball and Cal forcing him into the block... Skal had an excuse.

Hami...................
I wish Humphries could of got some of Skal's minutes..who knows he might still be here..

I wish Humphries could of got some of Skal's minutes..who knows he might still be here..

Could definitley use Hump.

From what I have heard 3 factors played into his leaving.

1. Richards and Bamba were both expected to come to UK.

2. He has been a little homesick for quite a while

3. He did not get good news from the NBA regarding pro prospects. His 2nd option was playing for his home country for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

They wanted him immediately. Why wait 2 years if he's already homesick, they are willing to pay him now, NBA isnt an option and Richards and Bamba are coming?

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueElvis
Interesting...usually CAT fans have to worry about players jumping to the NBA...now we have to wonder about overseas...fun times..,.

From what I've seen, and I could be wrong, the kid is close to uncoachable...doubtless he thinks he's better than he is.

Does a franchise spend a 2nd round pick on him or let him develop overseas? I'd say the latter.

Now we know why Cal didn't play him last year.

No other coach I know has said stuff like that, so no, it's not coach speak, it's Cal speak. I honestly get the impression that he means it, which is fine when taking care of the players takes care of winning, like it has most years. But this year, it's easy to see how him "taking care of Diallo" by putting him back in the game was a very bad call for the team. And I think that most folks on these boards are UK fans, not Diallo fans, and expect their coach to feel the same way if he has to choose one or the other.

giphy.gif

Reactions: brianpoe
Just stop. If we’re dependent on one player to keep us in or out of the tournament, we’re not very good anyway.

No pass on the Noel injury I agree. If the loss of one player keeps you of the tourney you didn't do your job in recruiting/team building.

As for Cal's comments I didn't hear them first hand. I suspect he was saying I don't want to talk about our record, we just need to win a game. I'm ok with that if that's the case.

Sometimes words don't come out the way we want, and with some of his past comments, some fans are not going to cut Cal any slack.

And while I am, I think his comments tonight had ZERO to do with a recruiting pitch as BP wrongfully claims. Cal is right. Cats need to win a game. But for this team, this year, Cal has no clue how to get that accomplished.

I expect the Cats to beat Bama. As bad as UK is they are better than Tide.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT