ADVERTISEMENT

“I don’t care about our record”

PikeCat15

Gold Member
Nov 3, 2016
In postgame straight from Kentucky Basketball Twitter, Coach Cal says “I don’t care about our record or my record, it’s about these kids and I’ve failed them in some ways”.

So apparently the program’s record doesn’t matter now either. I’ll add that to the list of the front of the jersey not mattering either.

This is embarrassing.

In postgame straight from Kentucky Basketball Twitter, Coach Cal says “I don’t care about our record or my record, it’s about these kids and I’ve failed them in some ways”.

So apparently the program’s record doesn’t matter now either. I’ll add that to the list of the front of the jersey not mattering either.

This is embarrassing.
That record gonna land us in the NIT. Scouts don't come to NIT games.

This is embarrassing.

That’s just coach speak.

What’s he going to say?!? These guys are ruining my record. They suck!

I gotta admit, even it though it is deflection, this ain’t going to sit well with a lot of fans. That comment is just not necessary.

Cal trying to take the heat for the kids, but our fans won't get it.

We have a lot very slow fans.

The same ones hating on Diallo and demanding he never play are the exact ones that still bitch about how selfish he was last year by not playing and helping us lose in the 1st round...

He really shouldn't have said it the way that he did.It makes it sound like all he cares about are the kids and screw the record.

Reactions: new era cat
I'm giving Cal the benefit of the doubt right now. What is he supposed to say?

But enough of the "nothing matters except individual players" talk for a while. It isn't working on the recruiting trail and it's going to piss people off. You could battle Memphis fans and pull that sht on them, harder to do at UK.

The same ones hating on Diallo and demanding he never play are the exact ones that still bitch about how selfish he was last year by not playing and helping us lose in the 1st round...
Maybe because they hadn’t seen him play? His hype was definitely way overstated based on play this year.

Reactions: lmhurst
Cal takes responsibility and people still get mad

I know you can’t read, but he said “I don’t care about our record”. That is a WE statement, not an I statement.

Off topic- Any relation of TyBlue22 to you that got on here and said Wiggins was a done deal to UK for months? You guys sure are similar.

Reactions: - Keyser Soze -
He is supposed to understand the perception of the typical UK fan. This just feeds the “all he cares about is the NBA” fodder. Surely by now he knows this? Of perhaps he doesn’t give a shit and really is only in it to get kids to the pros as fast as possible.

The typical UK fan is not very bright.

OMG Best night in UK History whine whine whine

OMG Cal dont care whine whine whine

You would think the this fanbase would get coach speak... nope, we are what we are - one of the lowest educated states in the country... and it shows.

This is embarrassing.

The new "Greatest Day in Kentucky history" is going to be when Cal gets 4-5 guys drafted off a NIT team.

Players First!

Yep, embarrassing stuff. Over the past few years I almost feel guilted at times for rooting for Kentucky over success of individual kids. Sorry, but I'm a University of Kentucky fan and will be long after this crop of kids is gone. The success of UK is far more important to me than what any one of these kids goes on to do with their lives once they leave here. If that makes me a bad person or uncaring, so be it. But I'm a UK basketball fan first and foremost.

what is taking responsibility? its on me? ok, what are YOU going to do about it? saying you don't care about the record is not a good start to taking responsibility.

At this point? Not much, season is about over.

They are still complaining about it... just a few days ago!!!
Well if that’s the case, I’m at a loss. I must admit I don’t do a good job of following people and their tone or agendas. Hell I can’t keep my kids names straight. If after seeing Hami this year and someone is bitching about him not playing last year—well I’m at a loss.

Reactions: brianpoe
I agree with Cal. He has let them down by not putting them in positions to succeed or playing to their strengths. And they do have some strengths. He also has stubbornly kept going with a couple guys who are completely lost and might be better served watching some games from the bench.

He is supposed to understand the perception of the typical UK fan. This just feeds the “all he cares about is the NBA” fodder. Surely by now he knows this? Of perhaps he doesn’t give a shit and really is only in it to get kids to the pros as fast as possible.
or perhaps he doesn’t give a shit what someone too stupid to realize what he’s doing thinks. Seriously how do you guys not understand at this point that almost everything he says is aimed at recruits. Cal is the same guy who constantly talks about wanting to be the first coach to go 40-0. OF COURSE he cares about the record, Jesus Christ.

Reactions: brianpoe
At this point? Not much, season is about over.
I think we're at a point for a mea culpa - and not some "get mad at me, not the kids, I've failed the kids" attempt to continue salvage recruiting while just giving the actual coaching job and state of the program lip service - but a serious - we're going to take a hard look in the mirror and figure this out. You won't see this again next year.

Listen, I still love Cal, but this shit is getting old. Its reality. Some people just stick to one side through thick and thin and bypass reality. Again, love Cal and wouldn’t trade him, but his gimmicks are getting annoying at this point.

Reactions: lmhurst
2013 was going to make the tournament easily before the best player in the country tore his ACL

Easily?

They were sitting at 17-8 after the Noel injury game.

Then came the murder in Knoxville.

That team was on the bubble before Noel went down. They probably would have gotten in, but it wasn’t going to be easy.

Sorry but I don't read this as bad as you guys are. I think he is simply saying he has done a poor job coaching this team which he has. He doesn't have the studs to take over in how he generally directs his teams. This team needs structure, he hasn't given it to them and has he stated he has failed them. They have gotten immensely better on defebse but M2M still struggles at times and when our zone is working cal abandons it. Now will he do something about it? We shall see!!!

I'm giving Cal the benefit of the doubt right now. What is he supposed to say?

But enough of the "nothing matters except individual players" talk for a while. It isn't working on the recruiting trail and it's going to piss people off. You could battle Memphis fans and pull that sht on them, harder to do at UK.
It is beginning to get scary how much we think alike.

I think everyone is going to need to just wait and see if Cal can adjust at this point. That's where we are. If he can he will be great. If he doesn't he will end on a sour note at UK.

One or the other, staying the course is not an option.

ADVERTISEMENT