ADVERTISEMENT

“Dudes that are out there playing the most minutes are the toughest guys we have.”

HICATFAN

All-SEC
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Kailua, Hawaii
Agree that it’s time to play it like this?

Calipari: “Dudes that are out there playing the most minutes are the toughest guys we have.”

Vanderbilt-board-286x300.jpg

Jarred Vanderbilt (Vicky Graff Photo)
By LARRY VAUGHT

For the first time I can remember this season, an opposing coach praised Kentucky's toughness.

Missouri coach Cuonzo Martin said Kentucky was "too tough" for his team after the Wildcats won 87-66 Saturday.

"Sometimes you've got to put different guys on the floor. Dudes that are out there playing the most minutes are the toughest guys we have," Kentucky coach John Calipari said.

"They told me after Arkansas your bench scored 36 points, yeah, because three of my best players are coming off the bench. We're going to score a lot of points.

"So, again, this team, I love the fact -- PJ didn't care that he's not starting. Hasn't said one word, and he's playing his best right now. I didn't start Wenyen in the second half, he didn't say anything.

"These guys are all right now bought into what we have to do. We've got a couple guys thinking they should play more. But look at the guy in front of you. If I really think that, I'll say who do you think you should be playing in front of? Tell him to his face, and that dude would probably laugh at him. You're out of your mind. Lucky you played at all.

'That's how -- this is the competitiveness. But we're all for you. Be ready for your opportunity. We need you. This team, we've only got 10 guys."

AlohaCat

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
That's an awesome quote.

I don't want to jump the gun here, but this is getting exciting. If guys have truly bought it, and it appears they have....then we're gonna keep getting better.

We get the right draw....this team could be going to San Antonio.

Lots of basketball left, but this is getting exciting.

That's an awesome quote.

I don't want to jump the gun here, but this is getting exciting. If guys have truly bought it, and it appears they have....then we're gonna keep getting better.

I agree, but we’ve also been hitting shots like crazy over the past few games. A lot of deficiencies get minimized when the long-ball is falling. My guess is we will go cold at Florida. We usually do. That arena is tough, it will be packed, it will be senior night, and Florida plays tight defense and has veteran guards who will get into our guys on the perimeter.

The test will be how do we respond in a tough environment when jump shooting isn’t getting the job done? Can we protect the ball? Can we exploit our interior advantage, get easy baskets and get to the free throw line? Do we defend for 40 minutes, or just when it feels desperate?

We’re gonna learn a lot about this team in both Gainesville and the SEC tournament.

That's an awesome quote.

I to am cautious in my hopes, but I’m a heck of a lot more excited than I was a couple weeks ago. Not just the 3 wins, but the way we’ve won them.

Should be an easy one tomorrow night with Ole Miss at Rupp.

Saturday at FL will be another tough road game in Gainesville. That would be a huge confidence booster winning there and heading into the SECT.

Reactions: HICATFAN
Ideally, tomorrow night will be the platform for us to really start pushing each other. We got our standing 8 count, we punched back a little, now it's time to grow.

I hope those guys who think they should play more come out with their hair on fire. I hope those guys ahead of them answer the bell and play even harder.

I also love hearing that PJ and Wenyen have handled their roles. Couple that with how supportive everyone has been of Hami, the way he's handled the adversity, the way Shai is leading the team, the way Quade and Vanderbilt have acclimated to the rotation, the way Knox answered the bell after pouting against Auburn--

--there's just really a lot to like about this group, even if they aren't elite. I'm glad to see that attitude start paying off on the court for them. It's unreal how Cal had his finger on the pulse.

I'm glad to see that we are more consistent. That's all I wanted. We always had the fight in spurts and the flashes of brilliance.

I think I only saw one or two defensive breakdowns in the last couple of games. That's phenomenal. Every team will have a play or two where they just go,"Duh......" Even Seniors will do it once every few games.

I like where we are right now, especially compared to a few weeks ago where we looked as if we didn't know what a basketball really was.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I think we are starting to play our best bball. And if that's the case? Teams that aren't in the SEC (let's face it...they aren't afraid of anybody this year) will start scrambling to plan for us.

The SEC tournament may be tougher than even the first couple of rounds of the NCAA. We'll have to see.

I'm glad to see that we are more consistent. That's all I wanted. We always had the fight in spurts and the flashes of brilliance.

I think I only saw one or two defensive breakdowns in the last couple of games. That's phenomenal. Every team will have a play or two where they just go,"Duh......" Even Seniors will do it once every few games.

I like where we are right now, especially compared to a few weeks ago where we looked as if we didn't know what a basketball really was.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I think we are starting to play our best bball. And if that's the case? Teams that aren't in the SEC (let's face it...they aren't afraid of anybody this year) will start scrambling to plan for us.

The SEC tournament may be tougher than even the first couple of rounds of the NCAA. We'll have to see.

Man, I love that clip of Coach Cal...jumping up and giving the "yes!" with the hand !!!

AlohaCat

Ole Miss coming to Rupp will tell just how serious our guys are. If we play on our level and not drop off, good sign. I'd like to see a full 40 min of pedal to the metal. Maybe the last 3 min we can have bench come in while leading by 30...go big glue

Ole Miss coming to Rupp will tell just how serious our guys are. If we play on our level and not drop off, good sign. I'd like to see a full 40 min of pedal to the metal. Maybe the last 3 min we can have bench come in while leading by 30...go big glue

30 is too much but anything less than 15 would be a bit of a downer.

Especially since it's senior night:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JC43
I've been saying all season we aren't tough. Looks like they've finally found it.

I agree, but we’ve also been hitting shots like crazy over the past few games. A lot of deficiencies get minimized when the long-ball is falling. My guess is we will go cold at Florida. We usually do. That arena is tough, it will be packed, it will be senior night, and Florida plays tight defense and has veteran guards who will get into our guys on the perimeter.

The test will be how do we respond in a tough environment when jump shooting isn’t getting the job done? Can we protect the ball? Can we exploit our interior advantage, get easy baskets and get to the free throw line? Do we defend for 40 minutes, or just when it feels desperate?

We’re gonna learn a lot about this team in both Gainesville and the SEC tournament.
Good points....making shots is what it comes down to eh? We shot horribly during the losing streak. I'm detecting a different, more confident vibe from this squad. Cal does what he always does...he lets the young guys play their way for 1/2 the season, then he clamps down and says "this is your role." Like it or lump it.

Reactions: WildcatDJ
ADVERTISEMENT