ADVERTISEMENT

“Anti-Vaxxers”

There's been more than enough time & shots given for me to not be hesitant. If they'd asked me to be a tester I would have. OK, you're not against it.

But you didn't answer your own statement of "Yeah that's an established vaccine. I can see why people would be hesitant about the Covid vaccine.". I don't see at all why people would be hesitant other than from ignorance or some condition that could cause a severe reaction. So why would they rationally be hesitant?

I think I've been very clear. I'm not sure what stumped you, but here goes, again: because it's still an unknown quantity to the masses. And to most doctors. I have 3 doctors and 1 nurse practitioner in my family and extended family. They all, but one, say they don't know enough about the vaccine to comment on it. My brother in law's brother (one of the doctors) told me it seemed like a rushed attempt. I don't know. I'm only a machinist.

And it's not like big pharmaceuticals are seen as trustworthy folks. I can see why people could be leery of a brand new vaccine. Ever seen how many drugs wind up with lawsuits? Also, they don't personally know people who've gotten it and been helped. Or not had an adverse reaction. It's still new. That's how it looks to most people. And it's not some unreasonable fear like a zombie apocalypse or vampires. I can see why people could be hesitant to jump right into it. If you don't, that's cool. Go get the vaccine and be secure in your decision. But let's not act like people are crazy for not 100% buying into it.

Even after getting vaccinated, your still told to wear a mask, so I’m in no rush to get it. I don’t fall into any of the high risk categories

I think I've been very clear. I'm not sure what stumped you, but here goes, again: because it's still an unknown quantity to the masses. And to most doctors. I have 3 doctors and 1 nurse practitioner in my family and extended family. They all, but one, say they don't know enough about the vaccine to comment on it. My brother in law's brother (one of the doctors) told me it seemed like a rushed attempt. I don't know. I'm only a machinist.

And it's not like big pharmaceuticals are seen as trustworthy folks. I can see why people could be leery of a brand new vaccine. Ever seen how many drugs wind up with lawsuits? Also, they don't personally know people who've gotten it and been helped. Or not had an adverse reaction. It's still new. That's how it looks to most people. And it's not some unreasonable fear like a zombie apocalypse or vampires. I can see why people could be hesitant to jump right into it. If you don't, that's cool. Go get the vaccine and be secure in your decision. But let's not act like people are crazy for not 100% buying into it.
Don't know if you talked to them in Nov or after 40M people got the shot. Data base is a lot different, huge today vs. then.

Of course medical personnel will avoid giving medical advice to nonpatients. Risky.

Again, we disagree on the definition of new. First doses were available days after virus DNA code was known, just not legal to give. So it's been a year. Again, 40M is a lot of doses to call new. Are Teslas still new? They haven't made 40M cars in their existence & many have died driving them.

Of all the millions who have had the virus & now have gotten the shot, how many have caught the virus? Literally a handful that had had the virus before. Net, we know it helps.

It's a choice to be uninformed.

The general smear of big pharma is poor. Everyone has made mistakes. The net is overwhelmingly positive or they wouldn't exist. But I guess some choose to die vs. trusting big pharma.

Don't know if you talked to them in Nov or after 40M people got the shot. Data base is a lot different, huge today vs. then.

Of course medical personnel will avoid giving medical advice to nonpatients. Risky.

Again, we disagree on the definition of new. First doses were available days after virus DNA code was known, just not legal to give. So it's been a year. Again, 40M is a lot of doses to call new. Are Teslas still new? They haven't made 40M cars in their existence & many have died driving them.

Of all the millions who have had the virus & now have gotten the shot, how many have caught the virus? Literally a handful that had had the virus before. Net, we know it helps.

The general smear of big pharma is poor. Everyone has made mistakes. The net is overwhelmingly positive or they wouldn't exist. But I guess some choose to die vs. trusting big pharma.
Look man, I'm not going to draw you pictures. You think you want to think. The end.

Even after getting vaccinated, your still told to wear a mask, so I’m in no rush to get it. I don’t fall into any of the high risk categories
That's fine. I'd guess you're not eligible yet too. The mask thing will become a bigger issue even after people have the vaccine. Why? Biden's 100 days thing ain't gonna fly.

For those that use this term - what do u mean by it ?

When do you consider it applicable?

I personally reserve "anti-vaxxer" as a derogative term for anyone who rejects the science of vaccines due to unreasonable reasons, such as people who continue to believe Andrew Wakefield's disproven claim that vaccines cause autism, or people who refuse medicine for religious purposes because they consider certain ingredients haram.

Anti-Vaxxer wasn’t a thing until the quack doctor from England claimed vaccines caused autism. He’s since admitted he made it all up. Jenny McCarthy and other celebrities bought into the bullshit and it’s grown into what we see today.

You’ve got extremist idiots on both political extremes pushing it. Bobby Kennedy junior on the left and Alex Jones on the far right

really sad

Reactions: SmedMoley and J_Dee

well said. It’s remarkable. I don’t know a single doctor who has said “it’s risky” or “don’t get it” and I have a bunch of md friends. In fact, at our local hospital it’s 100% on the md’s who have taken it.

only On the internet do I fiend people who say “my doctor friend said it was rushed”. You get my point.

Reactions: J_Dee
Exactly, and now they are saying that Americans cannot board an inbound international flight even IF there is proof of a vaccine, without a negative test within 72 hours of boarding, as if I am going to trust those "tests". No vaccine passport, no take the vaccine, won't do it, not today, not tomorrow, not ever.

Reactions: BlueBallz
well said. It’s remarkable. I don’t know a single doctor who has said “it’s risky” or “don’t get it” and I have a bunch of md friends. In fact, at our local hospital it’s 100% on the md’s who have taken it.

only On the internet do I fiend people who say “my doctor friend said it was rushed”. You get my point.
How do you fiend people on the internet? Is that trolling?

Yeah I'm on the internet. And my BIL's brother expressed that he wished it had more research before release. That's all. He is a doctor. It's not that he said not to get vaccinated. At all. I mean I don't think that really flies in the face of your internet doctor friends.

Reactions: WildcatofNati
Even when you get the vaccine, you can still get Covid, it supposedly just won’t be as bad, at least that’s what I read. So I can kinda see his take.
Like I can see why people want to see some real track record before taking it. I mean get it. I wouldn't laugh at them for that. There's a lot of touchy people on this. Some need to get some booze or a tampon.

I personally reserve "anti-vaxxer" as a derogative term for anyone who rejects the science of vaccines due to unreasonable reasons, such as people who continue to believe Andrew Wakefield's disproven claim that vaccines cause autism, or people who refuse medicine for religious purposes because they consider certain ingredients haram.

But it sounds like you would make room for someone who had studied a certain vaccines production methods, contents , effectively and side effects —— then made an educated decision to forgo said vaccine when available

I BELIEVE you allowed room for that but I don’t want to put words in your mouth

Understanding the science seemed to be your key point and - while that’s a wide net that DOES change I’m certain conditions— it’s a great criteria for deciding whether someone is making informed decisions or not

Actually really appreciate everyone’s feedback here for several reasons - there are some good nuggets here

......annnnf “nuggets” just made me hungry- gotta go

Reactions: J_Dee
PS “the universal flu vaccine “ was something I was tracking as it moved from concept - low rate production- and into clinical testing

I’d assumed it was going to be THE next not topic in infectious disease epidemiology.....but SARS/CV19 decided to hog the limelight I guess :)

Reactions: Rebelfreedomeagle
Even when you get the vaccine, you can still get Covid, it supposedly just won’t be as bad, at least that’s what I read. So I can kinda see his take.
Yes. I forget for which of the two vaccines, but one person did get a mild case. Hence the only 95% effective.

I think it's more a political thing for those that aren't vaccinated but doubt that it does anything/is necessary. I'll keep wearing for a while to help maintain law & order.

I think generally someone believing they know more about medicine or science than their doctor is foolish. Recently in America we have more and more people who think they are experts on areas of science because they skimmed an article and it's incredibly dangerous. People study for years to become experts in a scientific field and it's important we trust those people and listen to them. When we don't, and we all try to figure out things for ourselves based on things we read online, it's a detriment to our entire society. I think that's why those who want to make their own judgments on various medically beneficial vaccines are correctly looked down upon.
I trust and respect the scientific method, but I am skeptical of scientists. They are humans subject to financial and political influences which can lead to corruption. This is an objective fact and to deny it is naive and ignorant, imo.

I use the services of medical doctors and those in the field, but I do not blindly trust them. I've had too much experience with incompetence, neglect, and again, corruption. If you or a family member have an illness, it is important to learn as much as possible about it. Especially if you aren't extremely wealthy and can't afford exceptional care. I could provide several personal examples that support my position, one involving the death of my mom, but I think it's just common sense.

I'm not an anti-vaxer, but I'm in no rush to get the Covid 19 vaccine.

Number 1, based on my very low risk as currently defined by science, including my relatively good health, and lack of comorbidities, I'm not afraid of dying from the virus.

Number 2, it's not unreasonable to be skeptical of ANYTHING, especially a new vaccine that was produced and released so quickly. The so-called "experts" on the news (fake news) told us repeatedly that it would take many months or even years longer to release a viable product than it did. That was of course clearly politically motivated bullshit, so maybe it's okay after all, lol.

Number 3, I have known a few individuals who suffered severe reactions to vaccines, including paralysis. There are no guarantees, so I see no reason to rush to get it.

Number 4, the people who are at a higher risk should all have the opportunity to get the vaccine first if they so choose.

I may not get the vaccine. I haven't decided yet. I'll need to know if it affects anybody other than myself.

I have family that I consider anti-vaccine. It really is tied in with politics, social media, and religion. I'll add that nearly all have had covid as well. They're big on a prayer/elderberry/homeopathic regimen but they will go to the hospital when that fails. One currently hospitalized is an elderly two time cancer survivor with heart issues who hasn't had a flu shot in years because "they'll make you sick".

I remember seeing a video of WHO doctors being chased out of an African village with machetes during an ebola outbreak because the villagers were convinced the doctors caused the disease. I was blown away at how misinformed they were and the suffering they could be causing. The US all got on Facebook and we're just as misinformed.

I have family that I consider anti-vaccine. It really is tied in with politics, social media, and religion. I'll add that nearly all have had covid as well. They're big on a prayer/elderberry/homeopathic regimen but they will go to the hospital when that fails. One currently hospitalized is an elderly two time cancer survivor with heart issues who hasn't had a flu shot in years because "they'll make you sick".

I remember seeing a video of WHO doctors being chased out of an African village with machetes during an ebola outbreak because the villagers were convinced the doctors caused the disease. I was blown away at how misinformed they were and the suffering they could be causing. The US all got on Facebook and we're just as misinformed.
For all you know, those African villagers were probably right. I recall that the WHO, under pressure from their Chi-Com overlords, insisted that there was "no evidence" that the coronavirus was transmissible through air.

Science!

You are probably correct. I can't believe how many Karens on Facebook are suddenly virology experts because of Science! It's frankly comical looking at their masked up photos- they are very "virtuous" lol.

my favorites are the people who use services from a year ago and say “but look at this article, they said we don’t need masks”. As if we can’t learn more as time goes on.

Anti-vaxxer: Middle aged white women who regularly participate in multi-level marketing schemes and believe essential oils and crystals cure cancer and AIDS.

Last edited:
Or you could try not to be racist? That's a better option?

Sorry to persecute you with a run of the mill joke that perpetuates a stereotype that's generally accepted as true.

My apologies. I will enroll in sensitivity training immediately.

Sorry to persecute you with a run of the mill joke that perpetuates a stereotype that's generally accepted as true.

My apologies. I will enroll in sensitivity training immediately.
Should you be perpetuating a stereotype, period? No. You don't even see what you're doing, do you? We shouldn't be doing this toward any race. Geez. It's not funny, and it shouldn't be accepted. And I'd guess you wouldn't try this shit with other races.

Reactions: myWILDCATjones
Should you be perpetuating a stereotype, period? No. You don't even see what you're doing, do you? We shouldn't be doing this toward any race. Geez. It's not funny, and it shouldn't be accepted. And I'd guess you wouldn't try this shit with other races.

Do you get this bent out of shape over all super tame jokes?

Crazy thing to go in on, but go on.

Do you get this bent out of shape over all super tame jokes?

Crazy thing to go in on, but go on.
I'm not bent out of shape. I'm only trying to make you think about what you said. I can see I'm wasting my time. Go on with your white folks jokes. Hee haw!!!

my favorites are the people who use services from a year ago and say “but look at this article, they said we don’t need masks”. As if we can’t learn more as time goes on.
The idea that a mask has any value whatsoever against this "pandemic" is one of the silliest things I've ever heard. While the coronavirus is new, infectious respiratory diseases have existed for centuries. How in the world did we "learn" more in the last few weeks as opposed to the last thousands years? Everyone knows, and has always known, that masks are worthless against these infections.

With that being said, my mask was helpful this afternoon. I never wear it under normal conditions, but, it is cold as Alaska during a blizzard here today and there was also freeing rain blowing all over my face. Walking home from a Sunday happy hour, I put that silly thing on and it was actually some reasonable protection against the elements.

How is a white guy making fun of White people racist?
It's not necessarily racist, but it's stupid. For one thing, the "anti-vaxxer" stereotype is hardly the "Karen" that he was referring to, but largely consists of low income people in minority communities, and understandably so, because of relatively recent history in Tuskegee.

It's not necessarily racist, but it's stupid. For one thing, the "anti-vaxxer" stereotype is hardly the "Karen" that he was referring to, but largely consists of low income people in minority communities, and understandably so, because of relatively recent history in Tuskegee.

this isn’t true at all. The general “anti-Vaxer” movement revolves around the granola, environmentalists and has seeped into the whack job Alex jones type crowd. The African American history with Tuskegee isn’t the same thing.

ADVERTISEMENT