ADVERTISEMENT

‘OK, I can do this.’ UK lineman lost 30 pounds in a few weeks, and is playing like it.

*Bleedingblue*

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 6, 2009
Jeremy Flax like all newcomers to the football team, came to the University of Kentucky in hopes of making an impact as soon as possible.
The 6-foot-6 offensive tackle was, unlike some new arrivals, realistic about his readiness to contribute right away for a Power Five program. He made cameos in two games last season — UK’s loss to Georgia and its rout of South Carolina — but was not in the right physical condition to play down after down at right tackle. He hovered around 350 pounds, about 30 heavier than he played at in junior college.

Flax has shaved off the weight — he’s around 320, now — and is vying for the open spot at right tackle left behind by Darian Kinnard, who has moved to the opposite side of the line this spring. Offensive coordinator Liam Coen a couple weeks into the short session said Flax had “probably solidified himself” at the position.“He’s really more athletic than I thought he was,” Coen said at the end of March. “I just didn’t really get to see a lot of tape of him.”

A lot more here....

It's looking like my prediction of Watkins starting over Flax is dead wrong.

Flax is putting in the work right now and Watkins is unfortunately injury prone and is still missing practice because of the injury he got a couple seasons ago.

Reactions: The-Hack
It's looking like my prediction of Watkins starting over Flax is dead wrong.

Flax is putting in the work right now and Watkins is unfortunately injury prone and is still missing practice because of the injury he got a couple seasons ago.

I think Watkins will be fine come fall and the battle will take place then. Great to see Flax doing well. That'll light a fire under Watkins (I hope).

Reactions: westerncat
Well, either way, if Coen has much sense and a touch of moxie, he’ll develop and play at least 9 on the O-line, as did Schlarman.

Going back to some big wins, commentators frequently noted we had 4 “subs” playing late in games, including winning drives.

Well, either way, if Coen has much sense and a touch of moxie, he’ll develop and play at least 9 on the O-line, as did Schlarman.

Going back to some big wins, commentators frequently noted we had 4 “subs” playing late in games, including winning drives.

We did used to play a lot of guys but last season we didn't

Reactions: thornie1
It looks unlikely that Christian Lewis will beat out Flax for right tackle, but I hope he both deserves and gets some snaps.

We have at least one 4 Star (West) who has had a season in the weight program.

There are lotsa’ talented biggins in Lexington, and a few snaps a game might help us maintain depth.

ADVERTISEMENT