ADVERTISEMENT

‘Kansas’ Head coach knew of and asked for a payment to be made to Silvio de Sousa’s handler

Did they present evidence that they asked for payments, because I don't recall seeing any actual evidence that they did. Of course the lawyer is going to say they knew, it is the crux of the defense. Unfortunately, they didn't present any evidence showing it. Remember, lawyers have great latitude in closing arguments in what they say.

Unfortunately, this is another case of everyone wanting something to be true, which has not been proven. A Nothing-burger, if you will.

Actually, anything an attorney says in opening or closing arguments is supposed to be backed up by evidence presented during the trial. How do I know? I've been a federal agent for the past 28 years and I've been involved in many criminal trials.
Hey @Nooneputsbabyinacorner your "nothingburger" just got made into a 2 all beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun! @BigMacputsbabyinacorner

" Self is a low down dirty cheater who schemes to break NCAA rules "

You need to spin this correctly .. poor Bill was just trying to keep up with the cheating at UK

Other than a few Hoosier fans, I never and I mean never have any issues with opposing fans at games.

But... the frat boy douche bags we walked out near during last years Champions Classic were absolutely miserable. Running at the mouth with Calipari this, and Calipari that. Cheaters, freshman, one-and done garbage etc.

Made me hate those self righteous jerks more than I already did. What can we do this year to make their stay in Indy?

Maybe t-shirts with DeSousa on the back?
IDK, i'm not that creative but some of you are.

Reactions: Smashcat
So, your theory is that in a federal criminal trial, acting as an officer of the court, Gatto's lawyer made up something to tell the jury - under the watchful eye of a federal judge -- that Gatto had not told him? Okay, stick with that. I'd say that's about as deep into the corner as you can get.

By the way, here is some reading material for you to take to the corner: A summary by the court reporter for the Kansas CIty Star that puts the lawyer's statement in context with EVIDENCE from the trial:

"Court testimony from last week shows that on Aug. 9. 2017, Gassnola texted KU assistant coach Kurtis Townsend about the guardian, Fenny Falmagne. Gassnola told Townsend, “Hit me when you can,” and Townsend replied, “Coach Self just talked to Fenny. Let me know how it goes.”

Gassnola also texted Self, KU’s head basketball coach, saying he talked with Falmagne. Self asked “we good” over text, and Gassnola replied “always,” saying this was light work and the ball was in Falmagne’s court now.

That same day, Gassnola texted Self to call him when he had five minutes and he was alone. The two had a five-minute, six-second phone conversation.

De Sousa committed to Kansas on Aug. 30, 2017. Self had a five-minute phone conversation with Gatto a day later, during a time the FBI was wiretapping Gatto, but the conversation was not recorded because of a “technical issue.”

“Kansas’ head coach knew of and asked for a payment to be made to Silvio De Sousa’s handler,” Schachter said Thursday. “Coach Self and Coach Townsend knew of and asked for this payment to be made to Fenny.
There you go using logic again with a Jailhawk fan !! when will you ever learn lol !!!

Reactions: kl40504
If the defense lawyer would have had actual proof of that Bill Self knew, presenting that evidence during the trial would have resulted in the charges against his client being dropped . Either he is stupid or doesn’t really have proof.

Actually, anything an attorney says in opening or closing arguments is supposed to be backed up by evidence presented during the trial. How do I know? I've been a federal agent for the past 28 years and I've been involved in many criminal trials.

Good to know that lawyers would never lie. Puts them in the same class with Priests and politicians...

Reactions: awf
Did they present evidence that they asked for payments, because I don't recall seeing any actual evidence that they did. Of course the lawyer is going to say they knew, it is the crux of the defense. Unfortunately, they didn't present any evidence showing it. Remember, lawyers have great latitude in closing arguments in what they say.

Unfortunately, this is another case of everyone wanting something to be true, which has not been proven. A Nothing-burger, if you will.

Dude, I am almost convinced you're a UK troll at this point. If so fairly well done.

Of course there was evidence provided. It was the text messages, lol.

If your standard of "evidence" is literally a video taped transaction between Self and Adidas and Preston or Desouza, then I assume you believe 90% of murderers should be let out of prison.

Your coach has been nailed to the wall. You can't handle it, fine. But get ready, like I told you a few days ago, more will come out and has. ThugU Jayhawks, yet again, in trouble. Just like damn near every decade prior.

"Court testimony from last week shows that on Aug. 9. 2017, Gassnola texted KU assistant coach Kurtis Townsend about the guardian, Fenny Falmagne. Gassnola told Townsend, “Hit me when you can,” and Townsend replied, “Coach Self just talked to Fenny. Let me know how it goes.”

Gassnola also texted Self, KU’s head basketball coach, saying he talked with Falmagne. Self asked “we good” over text, and Gassnola replied “always,” saying this was light work and the ball was in Falmagne’s court now.

That same day, Gassnola texted Self to call him when he had five minutes and he was alone. The two had a five-minute, six-second phone conversation.

De Sousa committed to Kansas on Aug. 30, 2017. Self had a five-minute phone conversation with Gatto a day later, during a time the FBI was wiretapping Gatto, but the conversation was not recorded because of a “technical issue.”

“Kansas’ head coach knew of and asked for a payment to be made to Silvio De Sousa’s handler,” Schachter said Thursday. “Coach Self and Coach Townsend knew of and asked for this payment to be made to Fenny.

You were a juror on the OJ trial, right? Maybe the Casey Anthony trial? Good Lord, please try to get out of jury duty in the future.

There are so may damn lawyers on Rafters....Kansas fans have no idea that this is the wrong place to try and evade justice using ridiculous tactics.

If the defense lawyer would have had actual proof of that Bill Self knew, presenting that evidence during the trial would have resulted in the charges against his client being dropped . Either he is stupid or doesn’t really have proof.

They tried to. The judge determined it to be inadmissible as evidence.

Not seconds after I call babyinacorner out for living his life here, he vanishes and this alias shows up. You logged off of your babyinacorner handle and then back in as Lonestar. I mean this is pathetic.

Last edited:
I wonder if the FBI really had technical difficulties and couldn't salvage the recording between Self and Gassnola. That would have been the nail in the coffin, but without that it is he said vs. he said...and the NCAA won't have to act. KU skates I bet.

If everybody is under oath, if the defense shows what it has in text messages and states the coaches knew, would that not be considered giving false statements under oath if it was true ? Seems to me like they provided the evidence, i do not see how they could manufacture those text messages and all of the people testifying Self knew. It is up to the NCAA to determine IF there is enough there to go further, it sure seems like a lot of facts pointing to Self knowing and arranging the payments.

So you are saying perjury occured ?

Dude, I am almost convinced you're a UK troll at this point. If so fairly well done.

Of course there was evidence provided. It was the text messages, lol.

If your standard of "evidence" is literally a video taped transaction between Self and Adidas and Preston or Desouza, then I assume you believe 90% of murderers should be let out of prison.

Your coach has been nailed to the wall. You can't handle it, fine. But get ready, like I told you a few days ago, more will come out and has. ThugU Jayhawks, yet again, in trouble. Just like damn near every decade prior.

This is fake news says babypoopswhenselfcheatsinacorner.

Top line on ESPN's website right now.....Have fun, you smug KU fans. KU fans I've encountered are THE worst.

I wonder if the FBI really had technical difficulties and couldn't salvage the recording between Self and Gassnola. That would have been the nail in the coffin, but without that it is he said vs. he said...and the NCAA won't have to act. KU skates I bet.

Self's image has been trashed forever, though, and it's delicous.

Yes, but I also like to see them get hammered by the NCAA.
UNC-CHeats has changed the dynamic for all time. Universities no longer feel a sense of honor or pride in reputation or respect for its role as a model for behavior that would lead to an honest admission of breaking the rules and an acceptance of responsibility. Now, after UNC's example, universities have about the same morals as narcotic cartels or mafia families -- just lie and spend what it takes to win.

I said weeks ago KU was going to get buried,
Still, I’ll admit to being a bit surprised if they actually do.
This isn’t shocking info or any sort of bombshell. The bombshell will be of ncaa drops a hammer.
We will see. The basketball world is watching.

baghdad%2Bbob.jpg

If college athletic administrators actually gave one good ... about following rules, some form of this idea would be built into every coaching contract: "It's your job to know. If you knew and let it happen, you're fired. If you didn't know, and there's a pattern, you're fired".

6 zeros on the paycheck should mean a lot of responsibility.

Generally not how it works out, though.

Last edited:
If college athletic administrators actually gave one good ... about following rules, some form of this idea would be built into every coaching contract; : "It's your job to know. If you knew and let it happen, you're fired. If you didn't know, and there's a pattern, you're fired".

6 zeros on the paycheck should mean a lot of responsibility.

Generally not how it works out, though.

I agree. Though in places like Kansas and in most ways aside from title, guys like jeff long answer to coaches like bill self.

Sorry, but no, that latitude does NOT extend to factual assertions that were never presented in evidence. If they're stating it in closing arguments, then you can be assured the claims were presented at trial via admissible testimony/evidence.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Sorry, but no, that latitude does NOT extend to factual assertions that were never presented in evidence. If they're stating it in closing arguments, then you can be assured the claims were presented at trial via admissible testimony/evidence.

The latitude is the implication that the evidence presented (the texts) can be interpreted as directing payment. The opposing counsel will dispute that interpretation in their closing arguments.

ADVERTISEMENT