ADVERTISEMENT

Zone!

Agree …switching defenses helps keep your opponents guessing and off balance …especially in college
Absolutely,nobody is saying play it for 40 minutes,but it comes in handy when needed to throw a wrinkle in the other teams game plan.Inexcusable for college players not to understand the basics of playing a zone defense and for any coach not to understand how to use it.

1. We need to learn how to play AND to attack a zone defense. Running the weave for 28 seconds against a zone is madness.
2. Spoelstra is one of the best coaches in the NBA. Made the Finals with LeBron but has consistently put a well-coached team on the floor since then. IIRC, this is his 2nd Finals team post-LBJ. 6 of the last 7 years, Miami has been .500 or better. That's pretty darn good.

He'd be a moron to come to UK but I'd take him in a NY minute.

Miami just won game 7 playing zone. I wonder if a certain coach was watching the best coach in the n.b.a. do this?
That certain coach doesn't choose not to play a zone because he thinks it isn't effective. He chooses not to because he thinks the fans don't know anything and in his eyes why should he listen to the fans? Our next coach (( hopefully )) doesn't think everything's about him versus the bennies.

That certain coach doesn't choose not to play a zone because he thinks it isn't effective. He chooses not to because he thinks the fans don't know anything and in his eyes why should he listen to the fans? Our next coach (( hopefully )) doesn't think everything's about him versus the bennies.
Yep. That us exactly why he had NEVER zoned. Lol
You bennies clamored for CJ. Howd that work out (when he played) Reeves was awful in NCAAT.
Cal is not not a good coach anymore.., but if we ever get a coach that actually listens/hears and strategizes off our bennies. Lolol
You are giving yourself way to much credit

Yep. That us exactly why he had NEVER zoned. Lol
You bennies clamored for CJ. Howd that work out (when he played) Reeves was awful in NCAAT.
Cal is not not a good coach anymore.., but if we ever get a coach that actually listens/hears and strategizes off our bennies. Lolol
You are giving yourself way to much credit
Why are you on about. The “Benny line up” as it was called was statistically the best line up of this past season for any team in the country. I think it might have also included the previous season.

Do you need a plumber to tell you when your pipes are leaking too? It doesn’t take a division 1 coach to realize when bad basketball is being played. And it doesn’t take one to try to think of things to try to improve the season’s outlook.

Your boy Cal just loves repeating the same failed tactics over and over and expects something different to happen. A dude with over 300 IQ said that was the definition of insanity. Using your own line of logic, is Cal smarter than Einstein?

Why are you on about. The “Benny line up” as it was called was statistically the best line up of this past season for any team in the country. I think it might have also included the previous season.

Do you need a plumber to tell you when your pipes are leaking too? It doesn’t take a division 1 coach to realize when bad basketball is being played. And it doesn’t take one to try to think of things to try to improve the season’s outlook.

Your boy Cal just loves repeating the same failed tactics over and over and expects something different to happen. A dude with over 300 IQ said that was the definition of insanity. Using your own line of logic, is Cal smarter than Einstein?
Not my boy. He needs to go
But you guys aren’t nearly as smart as you think… not even close.

Not my boy. He needs to go
But you guys aren’t nearly as smart as you think… not even close.
And we’re not as dumb as you think man. If you have a better line up or off season strategy let’s hear it. But UK basketball is down and so are its fans. We are venting and trying to discuss things that could improve the program. I don’t see why you choose to view that so negatively.

Certainly one would think Cal has forgotten more about basketball than any on this board. I mean, he has coached at a high level for 30 years, right? But, sometimes the fallacy of a particular strategy is so obvious that even somewhat knowledgeable fans can point out that the coach made a huge mistake. Cal almost NEVER admits he was wrong and that rubs many fans the wrong way.

I don't coach basketball but I've played, watched and officiated a ton of it. I think I know when a team is not taught how to defend an in-bounds play under the basket, how to play a zone defense, how to attack a zone defense, how to play help defense, how to defend the pick-and-roll, etc. I believe there are many posters on this board that recognize that Cal and his staff are doing a poor job of teaching basic basketball fundamentals and have done so for several years now. Doesn't mean we're 'smarter' than Cal. Just means we aren't so egotistical that we can't and won't consider changing our strategy to win a ballgame. Cal just doesn't seem to adapt from game to game, from season to season. Same roster-building strategy. Same in-game strategy. When it doesn't work, it's everyone's fault except his. And then he talks down to the fans who dare question his strategy even when it's obvious that what he's asking his players to do isn't working.

Kentucky playing Zone Defense in MBB with Calipari at the helm? Yeah, when I see this...
iu

• Haha
Reactions: ukdesi
Certainly one would think Cal has forgotten more about basketball than any on this board. I mean, he has coached at a high level for 30 years, right? But, sometimes the fallacy of a particular strategy is so obvious that even somewhat knowledgeable fans can point out that the coach made a huge mistake. Cal almost NEVER admits he was wrong and that rubs many fans the wrong way.

I don't coach basketball but I've played, watched and officiated a ton of it. I think I know when a team is not taught how to defend an in-bounds play under the basket, how to play a zone defense, how to attack a zone defense, how to play help defense, how to defend the pick-and-roll, etc. I believe there are many posters on this board that recognize that Cal and his staff are doing a poor job of teaching basic basketball fundamentals and have done so for several years now. Doesn't mean we're 'smarter' than Cal. Just means we aren't so egotistical that we can't and won't consider changing our strategy to win a ballgame. Cal just doesn't seem to adapt from game to game, from season to season. Same roster-building strategy. Same in-game strategy. When it doesn't work, it's everyone's fault except his. And then he talks down to the fans who dare question his strategy even when it's obvious that what he's asking his players to do isn't working.
I'm like you, I never coached, but I played for 10 years, which doesn't make me a expert. IMO when the problems started was when Cal hired coaches after Orlando Antiqua left. They scouted and pushed player types that weren't sold on UK and weren't tough. Sure glad one went to Duke and who knows where the other one is now. Just my opinion.

Cal’s downfall is his arrogance. He was somewhat grateful and humble to have the opportunity to coach at Kentucky when he first arrived. To switch to a zone or even to change anything would mean to admit he was wrong or that there’s a better way but his arrogance won’t let him. That’s what has turned the fan base against him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT