ADVERTISEMENT

Zeke Lewis returning next season

I find it a bit strange he announced it... maybe because I just didn't expect anything but for him to return.

Weren't he TJC both having excellent seasons? Maybe the 2 will be the catalysts for next season if there is one.

We will see what happens. We will basically return all starters with the exception of Golda, who kind of lost his spot to Grace.

TJ eats against lesser competition, and was hitting .290 to start the year, but he struggles moreso when it comes to SEC play. For instance, in 2019 he hit .259 overall, but only hit .214 in conference play. So, he hit .306 against OOC competition and just .214 against the SEC, where it matters most. This past year, against TCU the opening weekend he was 2 for 11 (.181). If you add UNC Wilmington, who he hit solid against, then he hit .238 against the best two teams we played. Small sample size, though, so it is hard to judge.

Lewis is the type of player you love to have. Doesn't complain and steps into every single role asked and does his job. He has largely been a pinch hitter, pinch runner, and an occasional plug and play. He hit .378 in the shortened season, stepping in to play 2nd when injuries plagued UK. I think he likely goes back to the sub role in 2021, despite the good hitting in 2020.

The infield gets crowded. Collett will be at first and Kessler at catcher. Then it gets tricky. You have Curtis, Grace, Schultz, Lewis and Estep all vying for three spots. Curtis was playing second and Schultz at short at one point, but Schultz seemed better at 2nd than SS and Grace did solid over there and hit .273. Curtis hit .292 before the injury, so it is hard to kick him off starting. We know Lewis hit well, and also committed no errors, was maybe the best defensive player on the team in fact. Estep raked at .324 and did pretty well at third. So, who are the odd men out in all this? It will be tough, I imagine.

We will see what happens. We will basically return all starters with the exception of Golda, who kind of lost his spot to Grace.

TJ eats against lesser competition, and was hitting .290 to start the year, but he struggles moreso when it comes to SEC play. For instance, in 2019 he hit .259 overall, but only hit .214 in conference play. So, he hit .306 against OOC competition and just .214 against the SEC, where it matters most. This past year, against TCU the opening weekend he was 2 for 11 (.181). If you add UNC Wilmington, who he hit solid against, then he hit .238 against the best two teams we played. Small sample size, though, so it is hard to judge.

Lewis is the type of player you love to have. Doesn't complain and steps into every single role asked and does his job. He has largely been a pinch hitter, pinch runner, and an occasional plug and play. He hit .378 in the shortened season, stepping in to play 2nd when injuries plagued UK. I think he likely goes back to the sub role in 2021, despite the good hitting in 2020.

The infield gets crowded. Collett will be at first and Kessler at catcher. Then it gets tricky. You have Curtis, Grace, Schultz, Lewis and Estep all vying for three spots. Curtis was playing second and Schultz at short at one point, but Schultz seemed better at 2nd than SS and Grace did solid over there and hit .273. Curtis hit .292 before the injury, so it is hard to kick him off starting. We know Lewis hit well, and also committed no errors, was maybe the best defensive player on the team in fact. Estep raked at .324 and did pretty well at third. So, who are the odd men out in all this? It will be tough, I imagine.
Think Estep becomes a star this year.

Think Estep becomes a star this year.

He certainly could, but I just don't know what they are going to do with all those guys. I have heard the possibility even that Estep plays short with Curtis as third and Schultz at second. That leaves both Grace and Lewis sitting.

I suppose it is possible that Shelby and Rhodes play in the outfield and they leave Schultz in right and have Curtis at second, Estep at third and Grace at short. If that happens then Cam Hill becomes and odd man out.

They have a shortstop coming in as well. I remember seeing a list of the top 10 JUCO prospects in the country. He was on the list.

They have a shortstop coming in as well. I remember seeing a list of the top 10 JUCO prospects in the country. He was on the list.

I could be wrong, but I think the only ones they have are Parker (pitcher), Plastiak, and a catcher Liebert.

Plastiak may have been listed as a SS on the list you saw? Still, most call him a 3B.

I could be wrong, but I think the only ones they have are Parker (pitcher), Plastiak, and a catcher Liebert.

Plastiak may have been listed as a SS on the list you saw? Still, most call him a 3B.
Derek Terry had an article over on 247 a couple weeks ago. Ryan Ritter is his name. Drafted out of HS but went juco now heading to UK after one year, so should have two years at UK unless he’s old for his class.

https://247sports.com/Article/Kentucky-baseball-Nick-Mingione-Ryan-Hagenow-148201024/

Reactions: parrott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT