ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Logue

I've heard UK wants him in the rotation pretty badly this year. Doubt it happens with the trio from last year returning but if any of those guys struggle then I'm sure Logue will get a chance to see what he can do.

I've heard UK wants him in the rotation pretty badly this year. Doubt it happens with the trio from last year returning but if any of those guys struggle then I'm sure Logue will get a chance to see what he can do.

I can see Zach being a mid-week starter, going 5 or 6 innings, and then be ready to pitch 2 or 3 innings on the weekend in relief. Pretty good role, and who knows he could beat out one of the returning starters.

I would probably only want him as a midweek starter sparingly. If he is good enough to be a weekend starter then he needs to be pitching on the weekends in one capacity or another. I'd have my midweek starter be a freshman or someone that needs to develop some more. I think you need to spend most of your year preparing for the post season. When you get to the SEC tournament and beyond you're going to have to have more than 3 pitchers. You'll need a fourth and possibly a fifth starter. So, it is good to have a guy like Logue who might be a bullpen guy, but you can rely on him to be a starter if needed. Then you need to develop another one through work on the midweek. A guy who goes out there and gets a lot of innings so he can learn and develop. I would think this role would be good for someone like Lewis. Lewis looks to have a lot of talent and could probably help on the weekend, but he also has never faced lived collegiate hitting (other than summer league). So, I'd at least want him midweek pitching early on. Once he seems to be comfortable then he can step into a weekend role out of the pen and get SEC experience. Then you can get guys like Sean Hjelle or Daniel Tillo into the midweek to get some experience starting.

Of course, we should have a lot of arms and I am not sure what we are going to do with all of them. Ideally plenty of them emerge and we can find a solid bullpen.

Have you heard of any players transferring?

Have you heard of any players transferring?

There is almost always a handful of them that transfer. I have to imagine that at least a couple will transfer. We brought in a pretty good number of players, so some will probably have to go. Fall practice may have started this week, so maybe we can get someone to run over there and see who is practicing. [cheers]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT