ADVERTISEMENT

Yesterday's "Shots Made" Chart is Wild

KA4Prez

All-American
Dec 8, 2003
Columbus, OH
Alabama only made 34 field goals. 28 of them were layups or dunks. I knew I noticed this during the game, but didn't really criticize it much because UK was up 25+ the entire second half. However, Alabama got a TON of easy baskets. Uncontested layups and dunks that were a result of defensive lapses.

Alabama only made 34 field goals. 28 of them were layups or dunks. I knew I noticed this during the game, but didn't really criticize it much because UK was up 25+ the entire second half. However, Alabama got a TON of easy baskets. Uncontested layups and dunks that were a result of defensive lapses.

This doesn’t tell the whole story. One, a lot of these baskets came after Kentucky was up by 35. Two, Cal said the game plan wasn’t to contest 3s but to keep them from shooting 3s, so they expected to give up some layups. Alabama only shot 17 3s. That’s pretty crazy. Also, we held them below their average Points per possession yesterday.

This doesn’t tell the whole story. One, a lot of these baskets came after Kentucky was up by 35. Two, Cal said the game plan wasn’t to contest 3s but to keep them from shooting 3s, so they expected to give up some layups. Alabama only shot 17 3s. That’s pretty crazy. Also, we held them below their average Points per possession yesterday.
Where do I find the points per possession stats?

Maybe it’s just me but that’s worrisome. So many easy uncontested baskets and dunks off lobs and straight line drives.

Maybe it’s just me but that’s worrisome. So many easy uncontested baskets and dunks off lobs and straight line drives.
It’s not worrisome. It’s Bama’s style every game. It’s their offense. Every game looks like that for them.

Reactions: G-PIP
Also, we stopped contesting those drives because the officials were bailing out Alabama on every single drive. Do we ever get those mercy calls when UK's getting their arses whipped on the road. No.

It’s not worrisome. It’s Bama’s style every game. It’s their offense. Every game looks like that for them.
It's also THE reason Alabama's offense is always going to be good year-in-and-year-out. Now, if Oats could find himself someone to coach defense (a la' Billy Donovan at FL) they could start thinking about actually winning a title.

It's also THE reason Alabama's offense is always going to be good year-in-and-year-out. Now, if Oats could find himself someone to coach defense (a la' Billy Donovan at FL) they could start thinking about actually winning a title.
i believe they were a top 10 defense last year and they won nothing

Their tournament issues are actually bc they become too reliant on 3s. In the NBA, you have a 7 game series, in college it’s 1 and done for 6 rounds. That means that if you rely too heavy on something that has high variance like 3s then you’re very susceptible to losing.

Reactions: G-PIP
i believe they were a top 10 defense last year and they won nothing
Well, if he can't win with a top offense and a top defense, then I guess there is no hope for him. In just watching AL from the outside, however, I've always got this sense that they don't always play hard on defense or maybe even have a good defensive strategy going into a game. But I can't back that up with any particular numbers or anything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT