ADVERTISEMENT

Yahtzee- Hoak

Good, now we don't have to keep hearing about how we can't recruit a QB. But I'm sure some still won't be happy.

Originally posted by mrschwump:

Per Looney/Rowland and his Twitter. Nice pickup.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This is the prototypical Air Raid QB from the past few years. Great footwork, accurate, makes quick reads, high football IQ. This is the type of kid that puts up huge numbers at schools like WVU, TTU, and Oklahoma State

I'm really glad we snagged this guy, I just have a gut feeling that he's going to be a really awesome QB for us in time, and maybe better than some that were a little higher on the board. The QB position now looks very solid for the next few years, and from a talent perspective about as good if not better as anyone on our schedule.

excellent, he should be a good QB for us in a couple of years. I bet his stock will rise after his SR season in Ohio class 5a ball.
Hope to get at least one of his (2016) teammates too.

This post was edited on 4/19 7:15 PM by 2bunnies

My grand sons name is Henry Gunner. His dad is a retired after 30 years Army colonel. He was not named after guns however. My son in law comes from ethnic German stock and Gunner is a German name.

Again, I hate to keep harping on this point because I really, really want to be as excited as some of you and look at all of these things through blue-tinted glasses, but this kid's best offers are Bowling Green, Toledo, and Cincinatti. I know we're excited that we're getting a large QUANTITY of recruits, but it is going to be very hard to compete in the SEC with guys whose best offers are MAC schools (outside of UK) like virtually every single guy in our recruiting class at this point.

I mean, I know it's somewhat "early" in the process, but my goodness. It's not that early. It's not so early that a legitimate SEC player wouldn't have a single, let me say again, a single Power-5 offer (not even from an Indiana, a Purdue, or a Rutgers). It's early, but it's not that early. A guy that can compete in the SEC would have at least some low level Power-5 offers at this point.

The scary thing is that it's not just one or two guys. I could handle that. Heck, I could even handle a portion of our class being those type of guys simply based on Stoops ability to forecast. But when it's literally every single guy in your class outside of Drake Jackson that doesn't have a Power-5 offer, I'm sorry, but that's reason for legitimate concern.

At this point in the recruiting process, if these guys were legitimate SEC players (that is, players that can help us compete with and beat teams like Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and South Carolina with stud athletes that were pursued by everyone in the nation all over the field) guys whose best offers are consistently Bowling Green and Toledo just aren't going to get it done, I'm sorry. With the Barker class we were taking early commitments too, but with those guys they actually had at least some power 5 offers when we picked them up (and most of them had offers from traditional powers)..every single guy we've gotten so far outside of Drake Jackson has an offer sheet whose best offer outside of us is a MAC school. I'm sorry, but these are the same type of recruits we were ripping Joker for, and now we're making the same excuses that we rip Louisville fans for always making.

Recruiting rankings and offer sheets do matter most of the time. I'm trying my hardest to be excited like some of you, but I think some of you need to take a look back at Stoops first couple of recruiting classes to see what a legitimate SEC prospect's offer sheet is supposed to look like. I know I'll get labeled a debby downer and all the usual from all the usual suspects, but you all take a look at the offer sheets for our commits and tell me if I'm lying. I'm worried because it's the future of the program that we're talking about, and if we're serious about competing and WINNING in the SEC (which is the goal the last time I checked) recruiting is where it starts and finishes.

Player after player after player with their best offer being a MAC or C-USA program just isn't going to cut it. We seemed to be a whole lot more aware (and a lot more realistic) about that fact before November and December of last year when we seemed to drastically lower our recruiting expectations. Let's get our expectations back up to where they were under Stoops first couple classes, because frankly, we need that to compete in the SEC.

Also, here's the thing. I understand some of these guys can, and likely will, pick up some Power-5 offers along the way. I also understand that Stoops and Co. have had a nose for identifying talent relatively early in the process.

But here's the thing, at this point if every single guy in your class literally don't have a single power-5 offer (outside of Drake Jackson) it's highly, highly unlikely that the offers are suddenly going to come pouring in from big-time programs and make these guys offer sheets look even somewhat similar to previous Stoops' classes.

In classes like the Barker class, most of the guys we were picking up early were guys that were being pursued by at least one or two big-time Power-5 teams (most of the time it was quite a few Power-5 teams, and teams that were tradition-rich) even "early" in the process. Every now and then Stoops would go after a guy with no Power-5 offers, but that was a rare, rare occurrence and it was mixed in with quite a few 4-star and highly rated guys. The difference with this class is that it is made up almost entirely of those "risky" prospects. History has shown that you are going to have a very hard time competing in the SEC with those type of recruits (unless you're Mizzou, which let's be honest at this point, is the outlier, not the norm--they win b/c they have excellent coaching and player development).

At this point I realize that complaining about our lack of success isn't going to solve anything, I'm not saying we need to rip the coaches or players, and that's not what I'm trying to do here because even those these guys aren't rated as highly as I'd like to see I'm still going to support them 100%, but that doesn't mean we have to bury our heads in the sand either.

The best thing we can do for this program (which we all love and want the BEST for) is to be realistic (and have realistic conversations) about our problems and not try to sugarcoat it and do the things and make the excuses that we've ripped Louisville fans for making ever since Stoops' arrival.

It will do us absolutely no good to bury our head in the sand like Louisville fans and pretend everything is fine. Let's just be realistic and call it like it is. That's what's going to be best for the program and what's going to push this program forward, which is what we all want at the end of the day. Sometimes being supportive of a team or program means you have to be realistic, even if it isn't always positive. All I want is for this program is success. I live, eat, and breath UK football--as I'm sure many of you do.

I love coach Stoops, but at the end of the day I'm a University of Kentucky fan. That's how I looked at things with Joker. I liked Joker as a person, but at the end of the day I wanted what was best for the University of Kentucky football program; sometimes that means you have to make tough decisions. These guys are human just like anyone else and they make mistakes. Being a UK football fan doesn't mean you have to always blindly follow and agree with what these coaches are doing. I like coach Stoops, but I like the UK football program more, and at the end of the day if I have to choose between the two I'm going to do and say what's best for the program every single time. If that means telling it like I see it, then so be it. I know that it's the truth and it's what's best for the program so I have absolutely no problem calling it like I see it and telling it like it is. I like Stoops but I like UK football even more.

This post was edited on 4/19 8:12 PM by jnewc2

Sets us up to potentially have an upper classman QB for the next six years that will have experience with the offense...Towles for the next two (college experience. Not necessarily in the system). Then Barker as a JR and SR with 2 years in the system Then Hoak as a JR and SR (assuming he redshirts as a FR). Barker and Hoak should be very familiar with the system and get reps as a backup before being handed the keys.

Jnewc, you've already been proven wrong before on those comments...but let's see all the guys whose best offers are Toledo and such in this class.

Originally posted by jnewc2:
Again, I hate to keep harping on this point because I really, really want to be excited as some of you and look at all of these things through blue-tinted glasses, but this kid's best offers are Bowling Green, Toledo, and Cincinatti. I know we're excited that we're getting a large QUANTITY of recruits, but it is going to be very hard to compete in the SEC with guys whose best offers are MAC schools (outside of UK) like virtually every single guy in our recruiting class at this point.

At this point in the recruiting process, if these guys were legitimate SEC players (that is, players that can help us compete with and beat teams like Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and South Carolina with stud athletes that were pursued by everyone in the nation all over the field) guys whose best offers are consistently Bowling Green and Toledo just aren't going to get it done, I'm sorry. With the Barker class we were taking early commitments too, but with those guys they actually had at least some power 5 offers when we picked them up (and most of them had offers from traditional powers)..every single guy we've gotten so far outside of Drake Jackson has an offer sheet whose best offer outside of us is a MAC school. I'm sorry, but these are the same type of recruits we were ripping Joker for, and now we're making the same excuses that we rip Louisville fans for always making.

Recruiting rankings and offer sheets do matter most of the time. I'm trying my hardest to be excited like some of you, but I think some of you need to take a look back at Stoops first couple of recruiting classes to see what a legitimate SEC prospect's offer sheet is supposed to look like. I know I'll get labeled a debby downer and all the usual from all the usual suspects, but you all take a look at the offer sheets for our commits and tell me if I'm lying. I'm worried because it's the future of the program that we're talking about, and if we're serious about competing and WINNING in the SEC (which is the goal the last time I checked) recruiting is where it starts and finishes.

Player after player after player with their best offer being a MAC or C-USA program just isn't going to cut it. We seemed to be a whole lot more aware (and a lot more realistic) about that fact before November and December of last year when we seemed to drastically lower our recruiting expectations. Let's get our expectations back up to where they were under Stoops first couple classes, because frankly, we need that to compete in the SEC.

Also, here's the thing. I understand some of these guys can, and likely will, pick up some Power-5 offers along the way. I also understand that Stoops and Co. have had a nose for identifying talent relatively early in the process.

But here's the thing, at this point if every single guy in your class literally don't have a single power-5 offer (outside of Drake Jackson) it's highly, highly unlikely that the offers are suddenly going to come pouring in from big-time programs and make these guys offer sheets look even somewhat similar to previous Stoops' classes.

In classes like the Barker class, most of the guys we were picking up early were guys that were being pursued by at least one or two big-time Power-5 teams (most of the time it was quite a few Power-5 teams, and teams that were tradition-rich) even "early" in the process. Every now and then Stoops would go after a guy with no Power-5 offers, but that was a rare, rare occurrence and it was mixed in with quite a few 4-star and highly rated guys. The difference with this class is that it is made up almost entirely of those "risky" prospects. History has shown that you are going to have a very hard time competing in the SEC with those type of recruits.

At this point I realize that complaining about our lack of success isn't going to solve anything, but the best thing we can do is be realistic about our problem and not try to sugarcoat it and do the things and make the excuses that we've ripped Louisville fans for making ever since Stoops' arrival. It will do us absolutely no good to bury our head in the sand like Louisville fans and pretend everything is fine. Let's just be realistic and call it like it is.
This post was edited on 4/19 7:50 PM by jnewc2
I'm not reading all this

At this point, a utility QB is good to have. We do not know how he will translate to college, but everything I've heard is very good. He's easily a top 40 national QB, that's not a "bad" position. It all comes down to how well he transitions to college and how FB IQ. On paper, he is a respectable pick-up.

Now, I do hope he gets recruited over in 2017, nothing against him but we need to attract big upfront national talent.

also lol at judging an offer sheet for an ohio prospect before they've even been through the summer.

Originally posted by C1180:

My grand sons name is Henry Gunner. His dad is a retired after 30 years Army colonel. He was not named after guns however. My son in law comes from ethnic German stock and Gunner is a German name.
Gunnar is a Nordic name.

Did that guy really write 8 paragraphs? I stopped when he said Drake Jackson was LITERALLY our only recruit with a power 5 offer. If you are going to troll/go on a huge rant, you need to at least be semi-accurate.

laugh.r191677.gif
It's amazing how worked up about things people can get, even when they know very little

Again, I hate to keep harping on this point because I really, really want to be as excited as some of you and look at all of these things through blue-tinted glasses, but this kid's best offers are Bowling Green, Toledo, and Cincinatti. I know we're excited that we're getting a large QUANTITY of recruits, but it is going to be very hard to compete in the SEC with guys whose best offers are MAC schools (outside of UK) like virtually every single guy in our recruiting class at this point.

I mean, I know it's somewhat "early" in the process, but my goodness. It's not that early. It's not so early that a legitimate SEC player wouldn't have a single, let me say again, a single Power-5 offer (not even from an Indiana, a Purdue, or a Rutgers). It's early, but it's not that early. A guy that can compete in the SEC would have at least some low level Power-5 offers at this point.

The scary thing is that it's not just one or two guys. I could handle that. Heck, I could even handle a portion of our class being those type of guys simply based on Stoops ability to forecast. But when it's literally every single guy in your class outside of Drake Jackson that doesn't have a Power-5 offer, I'm sorry, but that's reason for legitimate concern.

In classes like the Barker class, most of the guys we were picking up early were guys that were being pursued by at least one or two big-time Power-5 teams (most of the time it was quite a few Power-5 teams, and teams that were tradition-rich) even "early" in the process. Every now and then Stoops would go after a guy with no Power-5 offers, but that was a rare, rare occurrence and it was mixed in with quite a few 4-star and highly rated guys. The difference with this class is that it is made up almost entirely of those "risky" prospects. History has shown that you are going to have a very hard time competing in the SEC with those type of recruits (unless you're Mizzou, which let's be honest at this point, is the outlier, not the norm--they win b/c they have excellent coaching and player development).

At this point I realize that complaining about our lack of success isn't going to solve anything, I'm not saying we need to rip the coaches or players, and that's not what I'm trying to do here because even those these guys aren't rated as highly as I'd like to see I'm still going to support them 100%, but that doesn't mean we have to bury our heads in the sand either.

The best thing we can do for this program (which we all love and want the BEST for) is to be realistic (and have realistic conversations) about our problems and not try to sugarcoat it and do the things and make the excuses that we've ripped Louisville fans for making ever since Stoops' arrival.

It will do us absolutely no good to bury our head in the sand like Louisville fans and pretend everything is fine. Let's just be realistic and call it like it is. That's what's going to be best for the program and what's going to push this program forward, which is what we all want at the end of the day. Sometimes being supportive of a team or program means you have to be realistic, even if it isn't always positive. All I want is for this program is success. I live, eat, and breath UK football--as I'm sure many of you do.

I love coach Stoops, but at the end of the day I'm a University of Kentucky fan. That's how I looked at things with Joker. I liked Joker as a person, but at the end of the day I wanted what was best for the University of Kentucky football program; sometimes that means you have to make tough decisions. These guys are human just like anyone else and they make mistakes. Being a UK football fan doesn't mean you have to always blindly follow and agree with what these coaches are doing. I like coach Stoops, but I like the UK football program more, and at the end of the day if I have to choose between the two I'm going to do and say what's best for the program every single time. If that means telling it like I see it, then so be it. I know that it's the truth and it's what's best for the program so I have absolutely no problem calling it like I see it and telling it like it is. I like Stoops but I like UK football even more.

This post was edited on 4/19 8:12 PM by jnewc2
george-bush-gif.gif

Again, I hate to keep harping on this point
No, you don't hate it. You actually seem to enjoy it, even though you apparently have no clue about recruiting.

So what are you whining about?

I love coach Stoops, but at the end of the day I'm a University of Kentucky fan. That's how I looked at things with Joker.

Are you kin to Joker or something?

If that means telling it like I see it, then so be it. I know that it's the truth and it's what's best for the program so I have absolutely no problem calling it like I see it and telling it like it is.

You apparently need an eye exam.

But when it's literally every single guy in your class outside of Drake Jackson that doesn't have a Power-5 offer,

But here's the thing, at this point if every single guy in your class literally don't have a single power-5 offer (outside of Drake Jackson)
I guess you missed that guy named Landon Young. Have you ever proof read one of these tirades before you post them?

Also, did you eat a lot of paint chips as a child?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT