ADVERTISEMENT

WR roster management

seccats04

All-American
Dec 6, 2004
Next year we will have 7 scholarship WR that are Juniors. Badet, Montgomery, Johnson, Williams, Baker, Bone and now the JUCO Ross will be a Jr next year too. Losing this much talent in one class will be tough to replace in a couple of years as we probably won't sign that many in one class. So my question is how do we balance this out? Redshirt a couple of guys this year or next? If so, who?

Holtzclaw will likely be redshirted this year. We will probably be looking to add a few WR each of the next couple years. Add that to the three freshman we have coming in this year that could be redshirted and we will have plenty of guys to be juniors and sophomores that year.

Next year we will have 7 scholarship WR that are Juniors. Badet, Montgomery, Johnson, Williams, Baker, Bone and now the JUCO Ross will be a Jr next year too. Losing this much talent in one class will be tough to replace in a couple of years as we probably won't sign that many in one class. So my question is how do we balance this out? Redshirt a couple of guys this year or next? If so, who?

I agree there is the heavy class of WRs, so the 2017 recruiting class will have to be WR heavy w/a likely JUCO WR in there. One good thing, though, is WR is one position that an incoming FR can play and make an impact.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
unfortunately injuries will probably take care of a couple spots. with our luck we will have 2 of those guys for another year.

^I think you're right. An injury or two......a transfer or two.......and things will likely shake themselves out.

Also, it's really only a hit to the roster if most or all are really good players. We haven't seen a solid indication how many are developing into good players yet. The staff will know and they will recruit to compensate.

We are finally to the point where we can redshirt some skill guys. We need to redshirt TV for sure. Possibly one of Gosier, Richardson and Greenwood based on how camp goes. Redshirt all of the 2016 class. Bring in 2-3 for 2017 headed by Yeast and preferably a stud juco.

I would love to be able to redshirt all 3 incoming WRs if possible.
I don't know why we couldn't unless injuries hit us hard. Maybe we let one play and redshirt TV instead. I think he still needs to bulk up. If we redshirt them all we still have a group of Johnson, Bone, Baker, Timmons, Montgomery, Badet not to mention Boom out of the backfield, that give us the most talented group we have had in a while.

I don't know why we couldn't unless injuries hit us hard. Maybe we let one play and redshirt TV instead. I think he still needs to bulk up. If we redshirt them all we still have a group of Johnson, Bone, Baker, Timmons, Montgomery, Badet not to mention Boom out of the backfield, that give us the most talented group we have had in a while.

That is a good group. Add in Herrick and the TEs. Still not sure if 7 true WRs is enough. I hope it is. My guess is, barring injuries, we will see Williams play as well as 1 True FR along with the listed group.

I think Williams is the most likely to redshirt. He really needs to bulk up and add some weight plus he's listed behind Juice and Timmons so he's not likely to see a lot of reps anyway barring injuries.

I believe the coaching staff has said it likes to have 10 WRs ready to play There is presently 9 SS WRs listed in the depth chart. I agree in the best of all worlds TV would get a redshirt but I doubt that it happens unless he is injured. I believe the barking dogs have passed on that one.

According to Jrow's recent HOB post, they will recruit guys to replace needs when they are juniors/not seniors. So if they need to replace 7 WRs, we'll have to cover that in 2016 and 2017. Looks like they'll have probably 3WR recruits for 2016 so expect 4 or 5 WRs to be recruited in 2017. And probably high impact guys who could potentially play as true freshmen or JUCOs if there are any. Also not sure of the possibility of Montgomery applying for a medical RS?

Red-shirting TV this year and Ross next year would alleviate some of that problem.

I like the plan of recruiting to replace players a JRs instead of SRs. Let them RS, then get some reps as backups instead of having to come in and play right away. Looking forward to being able to RS all but the very best of our classes.

I believe the coaching staff has said it likes to have 10 WRs ready to play There is presently 9 SS WRs listed in the depth chart. I agree in the best of all worlds TV would get a redshirt but I doubt that it happens unless he is injured. I believe the barking dogs have passed on that one.
I believe it was Neal Brown who said he wanted 10 wide receivers ready to play. Neal never got to that point. I haven't seen the same issue addressed by Dawson. But since Dawson wants to play fast, I assume he also needs 9-10 wide receivers. Bone, Baker, Montgomery, Snodgrass, Herrick, Badet, Johnson, Timmons, Williams, Greenwood, Gosier, Richardson make the best and deepest group of Kentucky receivers I have ever seen. I assume Williams plus 1-2 true freshmen will redshirt. Stoops has shown an ability to sign good receivers, so I am not concerned about how the numbers will work out.

One thing to look at, will we get big production from our TEs this year. If we do that it will allow us to red shirt some receivers.

Reactions: brianpoe
i think we only play one of the freshmen this year and like i said earlier.. and injury or 2 gets another couple guys an extra year. i also agree that juco's usually dont rs but if im remembering right ross only played football for a couple years and could really benefit from a rs. it could be the difference of being like blue and having to go the FA route to the nfl or rs'ing and playing an extra year and getting drafted in the top 5 rounds. even stevie could of used a rs year to get drafted higher though he made out good on that second contract. lol

i really hope ross rs's. he'd be sr with barker then and i could see that combination with thad, greenwood, gosier, richardson, cj, zyaire, and whoever the underclassmen are being really freaking good... im talking top 10 offense type good.

i think we only play one of the freshmen this year and like i said earlier.. and injury or 2 gets another couple guys an extra year. i also agree that juco's usually dont rs but if im remembering right ross only played football for a couple years and could really benefit from a rs. it could be the difference of being like blue and having to go the FA route to the nfl or rs'ing and playing an extra year and getting drafted in the top 5 rounds. even stevie could of used a rs year to get drafted higher though he made out good on that second contract. lol

i really hope ross rs's. he'd be sr with barker then and i could see that combination with thad, greenwood, gosier, richardson, cj, zyaire, and whoever the underclassmen are being really freaking good... im talking top 10 offense type good.
With Montgomery and Badet back, Dawson has the numbers he needs. Gosier and Williams should redshirt. Either Greenwood or Richardson probably plays this year while the other redshirts. Next year, Holtclaw and Hughes should redshirt while Ross plays.

I would like to get at least one WR each or every other year you cannot RS, not because of depth, but because he is such a stud.

We have seen how one dominate wr can change an offense or be a constant safety valve (Bolin to Parker).

ADVERTISEMENT