ADVERTISEMENT

Worry About Injuries

footballfanatic77

Sophomore
Jun 17, 2015
California
Is anyone else worried that the new artificial turf will lead to more injuries? NFL teams overwhelmingly favor natural grass for this reason and evidence does show a somewhat higher rate of ACL injuries with artificial turf. UK is definitely not deep enough yet and injuries could quickly sink the season. Injury rate of knee sprains were 22% higher on FieldTurf than natural grass, ACL sprains were 67% higher on FieldTurf. I've always favored natural grass fields, but I suppose there are two sides to every issue.

Turf fields have drastically improved over the years. It's not as big of a concern as it was a few years back.

Is anyone else worried that the new artificial turf will lead to more injuries? NFL teams overwhelmingly favor natural grass for this reason and evidence does show a somewhat higher rate of ACL injuries with artificial turf. UK is definitely not deep enough yet and injuries could quickly sink the season. Injury rate of knee sprains were 22% higher on FieldTurf than natural grass, ACL sprains were 67% higher on FieldTurf. I've always favored natural grass fields, but I suppose there are two sides to every issue.

For rugby? Cause that's the only football that actually has significantly raised injury rates on turf v grass when you look at current turf and not old 1970's dayglo green concrete. The numbers you're using are NFL numbers gathered between 2000-2009, not current turf technology. No one should be surprised places like Edward Jones/Metro/Silver/Georgia domes were hell on knees, ankles and everything else in the early 2000's. Recent peer reviewed studies show injury rates in terms of any injury are about the same, more serious injuries are likely on grass, more cuts are likely on turf (which is why Rugby actually does have a much higher injury rate on turf. They get into scrums and come out cut)

legit concern, but I think turf is much better than it used to be. Pretty sure Stoops wouldn't have decided on it if he thought it was gonna be a big risk to his players.

Good point that it has improved though I still think it's a concern and no I was not talking about rugby. I'm not sure that the evidence overwhelmingly favors your position that there is no difference. I think data is less conclusive these days though. I've never been a fan of artificial turf but I do think it looks nicer now than it did in the old days.

I've read the presence of nylon root zone and ambient rubber reduces the risk, not sure if UK's new field features this.

Last edited:
Good point that it has improved though I still think it's a concern and no I was not talking about rugby. I'm not sure that the evidence overwhelmingly favors your position that there is no difference. I think data is less conclusive these days though. I've never been a fan of artificial turf but I do think it looks nicer now than it did in the old days.

I've read the presence of nylon root zone and ambient rubber reduces the risk, not sure if UK's new field features this.
Yeah, I think the rubber pellets make a big difference.

More recent studies show that grass and turf have about the same number of total injuries, that grass has more ligament tears and concussions and turf has more abrasions and strains (non peer reviewed). More recent tudy that was peer reviewed showed injuries occur slightly more often on grass than they do on turf as well, but nothing of statistical significance.

The fact that turf was so awful for so long when it came out will never be put aside in a lot of peoples minds, it'll always have some stigma of causing injuries and every time someone gets injured while playing on turf they'll blame the turf when if they had the same injury on grass they wouldn't blame the grass. At this point, the artificial turfs and so much better that cuts/scrapes and ankle sprains are the injuries occurring at much higher rates on turf than grass. One isn't a big deal, the other can be prepared for to avoid injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT