ADVERTISEMENT

Windows 10

drxman1

All-American
Nov 5, 2008
So today is the release, any new features in particular you find interesting, or is this just gonna be painful?

Still on Win7 which I love but have signed up for Auto upgrade to Win10 to see it. Have a Backup Cloned USB Hard Drive with Win7 ready if I want to go back.

Reactions: drxman1
I heard very positive reviews for it on CNBC this morning. It has more security features, a new browser and get rids of the dueling tile and traditional destops. Microsoft is making it free because they are so confident in it. They figure that you will pay up for some of the cloud features.

Heard great things (every 2nd Windows release is golden), but I'm going to wait about 3 months for the big bugs to get wrinkled out. My laptop will be getting it (from Windows 8, which is... okay). Not sure about my desktop (running 7).

My plan is after the upgrade and a few weeks of use of Win10 if all goes well I want to get a SSD Hard Drive and then do Clean Win10 install on it.

We've used Win 10 evaluation builds here at work over the past several months. In fact, I'm running it now in a virtual machine. MS Edge, a newer IE 11 browser, is okay. One of my duties involves evaluating compatibility with our existing legacy stuff. Lot's of work for me ahead during the coming year.

By the way, IE 11 is still incorporated in the Win 10 OS.

Reactions: FutureCityCats
Can't be any worse than Windows 9
confused-face.jpg

Got a Windows tablet, so I'll upgrade it, but since I got a Macbook I don't really use Windows enough to care all that much. Windows 8 was trash though so it can't really be worse.

Heh, my co-worker, who sits adjacent to me in this cube farm, is presently working with a Surface Pro 2 (i.e. "sir FACE", as we call it), which was upgraded to Win 10 from 8.1 less than 1 hour ago. He's testing Cortana as I type this post.

Heh, my co-worker, who sits adjacent to me in this cube farm, is presently working with a Surface Pro 2 (i.e. "sir FACE", as we call it), which was upgraded to Win 10 from 8.1 less than 1 hour ago. He's testing Cortana as I type this post.

That supposed to be like SIRI?

Currently installing it on my Windows tablet, and the copying files process has already taken over an hour and it's only at 5%. Keep in mind this tablet only has 32GB of flash storage space in the first place. Thank goodness I am not trying to upgrade a computer I use regularly...

No thanks. Controversy about all of Microsoft's monitoring is enough to keep me away from it until that's addressed, along with all of the app bullshit I don't want anywhere near my desktop. Such a shame Linux isn't more widely supported.

Got it going on my tablet finally. I have to say I am really loving it. Microsoft hit a home run with this one. With my tablet having died on me earlier this summer, if I hadn't recently bought a Macbook Pro, I think a Surface Pro 3 would be in store for me.

That's because Linux is terrible.
Agreed. One time for a week I had the most popular version of Linux at the time installed (can't remember which version it was) on my computer. It was barely tolerable even for a power user like me. Many a casual user would commit ritual suicide if they had to use it.

Reactions: JellyShelly
Agreed. One time for a week I had the most popular version of Linux at the time installed (can't remember which version it was) on my computer. It was barely tolerable even for a power user like me. Many a casual user would commit ritual suicide if they had to use it.
Linux isn't for casual users. It's best suited for programming. Ubuntu has a nice user shell over Linux/Unix

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Linux isn't for casual users. It's best suited for programming. Ubuntu has a nice user shell over Linux/Unix
True. Not ready for the mainstream. It's an awesome OS for engineering applications. Heh, at one time during late 2007, I managed over 100 racked build-servers running Redhat. The GUI is much improved over the years, as is Win 32/64. Also lovely in a web server role. Loves me some Apache/MySQL/PHP implementations on Linux.

Reactions: argubs2 and -LEK-
Been a Windows user for 20 yrs, but just bought an IMac last month. I now have no hair left on my head due to frustration of moving my Windows programs to the Mac format. I'm not anywhere near a computer whiz and getting my Quickbooks data moved to Mac is absolutely killing me. I can get it moved, but then I end up losing it. :uzi:

Wildcatsboston's interpretation of "power user" is making line graphs in Excel.

I bet his Powerpoint formatting is on point, too. Knows where all the sick slide templates are......even the hidden ones like wayyyyyy down the list.

Reactions: ukrjr1 and -LEK-
Wildcatsboston's interpretation of "power user" is making line graphs in Excel.

I bet his Powerpoint formatting is on point, too. Knows where all the sick slide templates are......even the hidden ones like wayyyyyy down the list.
Powerpoint is an abomination.

But I do an extensive amount of video editing, graphic design, and statistics for work, Linux is trash for that.

Your inability to understand its functions does not mean it is terrible. It just means you dont understand it. It is a necessary OS.
You're excellent at missing the point. I was arguing why it's not more widespread, not that it's terrible. It's good at what it does, which only appeals to a very limited set of the population at large.

You're excellent at missing the point. I was arguing why it's not more widespread, not that it's terrible. It's good at what it does, which only appeals to a very limited set of the population at large.
I must have missed the point where 6 posts up you typed you agreed it was terrible. Pretty sure I'm not the one missing the point. I can see why you need to charge your dad 5 bucks to watch tv.

ADVERTISEMENT