ADVERTISEMENT

Why on earth is KSR all basketball?...

This thread is posted time to time and it's always the same results.

The Matt defenders (Raftards) claiming Matt is the best thing to happen to UK sports. I suspect some of these are just KSR shills.

The truth is Matt doesn't like football. He is basketball obsessed. I mean, he would kick his mom in the face if he thought it would let him smell Cal's nutsack.

People keep pointing out that he has brought in Maggard to help out. And while that is true, people forget he has done this around 5 or 6 times already. He'll bring in football only coverage guys and they usually end up leaving the site after a few months. One can only imagine they don't get along with Matt or probably feel like they aren't very supported.

Matt is clearly biased and you only need to look at his twitter or listen to him talk to see where he clearly stands. He posted around 20 times in a row about Jamal Murray in the middle of the hot recruiting streak the football team was on.

He constantly cries and whines about Kevin Stallings for taking shots at UK. But then turns around and applauds and says he loves when Spurrier takes shots at UK.

Have to agree with the others though, quit going to his site if you don't like it. I haven't been in years. Let him baste in the worship from his rupptards.

Jesus Christ. You typed a novel and you don't care?

You guys are right. It has improved as far as football is concerned and Freddie's stuff is golden. I like his articles better than just about any football content on the net. Covering football better was probably a business decision which is fine. It is better. Matt still probably couldn't tell you who UK played in our last bowl game or explain a trap block to save his life but who cares?

And what kind of web traffic do you think KSR would get if they wrote articles explaining a trap blocks or explained punting techniques on the radio?

The Matt defenders (Raftards) claiming Matt is the best thing to happen to UK sports. I suspect some of these are just KSR shills.

The truth is Matt doesn't like football. He is basketball obsessed. I mean, he would kick his mom in the face if he thought it would let him smell Cal's nutsack.

People keep pointing out that he has brought in Maggard to help out. And while that is true, people forget he has done this around 5 or 6 times already. He'll bring in football only coverage guys and they usually end up leaving the site after a few months. One can only imagine they don't get along with Matt or probably feel like they aren't very supported.

Matt is clearly biased and you only need to look at his twitter or listen to him talk to see where he clearly stands. He posted around 20 times in a row about Jamal Murray in the middle of the hot recruiting streak the football team was on.

He constantly cries and whines about Kevin Stallings for taking shots at UK. But then turns around and applauds and says he loves when Spurrier takes shots at UK.

Have to agree with the others though, quit going to his site if you don't like it. I haven't been in years. Let him baste in the worship from his rupptards.

And how do you know Matt doesn't like football? I'm pretty sure he's noted about a million times how he wants UK to be good and thinks they can take the next step. He also routinely has Stoops or the assistant coaches on his show to chat football. Just because someone doesn't know a ton about a sport doesn't mean they don't like it. I'm not a football guru but I plan my Saturdays around UK football and Sundays around the Packers. Jones simply knows that talking football on the radio, especially during the summer when games aren't being played, lowers ratings, which lowers $$ in his pocket. If someone calls in the middle of August and asks a bball question is he supposed to cut them off and talk about depth at cornerback?

Some of you folks are pathetic when it comes to bashing KSR.

And what kind of web traffic do you think KSR would get if they wrote articles explaining a trap blocks or explained punting techniques on the radio?

And how do you know Matt doesn't like football? I'm pretty sure he's noted about a million times how he wants UK to be good and thinks they can take the next step. He also routinely has Stoops or the assistant coaches on his show to chat football. Just because someone doesn't know a ton about a sport doesn't mean they don't like it. I'm not a football guru but I plan my Saturdays around UK football and Sundays around the Packers. Jones simply knows that talking football on the radio, especially during the summer when games aren't being played, lowers ratings, which lowers $$ in his pocket. If someone calls in the middle of August and asks a bball question is he supposed to cut them off and talk about depth at cornerback?

Some of you folks are pathetic when it comes to bashing KSR.

I think you mean "Some of you folks are pathetic when it comes to defending KSR." Again, you're Matt's target audience so of course you don't care. Just seeing that 17 of your last 20 posts where on Rupptards tells me all I need to know.

And just to reply to Sosa who said I wrote a novel but I dont care. How is it different than all of his posts have been on Rupptards except the sole one on the lair that was rushing over here to defend his savior matt jones. He's a shill. I can spot them a mile away.

I think you mean "Some of you folks are pathetic when it comes to defending KSR." Again, you're Matt's target audience so of course you don't care. Just seeing that 17 of your last 20 posts where on Rupptards tells me all I need to know.

And just to reply to Sosa who said I wrote a novel but I dont care. How is it different than all of his posts have been on Rupptards except the sole one on the lair that was rushing over here to defend his savior matt jones. He's a shill. I can spot them a mile away.

The fact that you call a basketball forum about the school you support "Ruptards" is pretty telling. I enjoy watching UK football more than I enjoy watching most any UK basketball game outside the tourney or some mega match-up (like Kansas/Duke/UL). Again, just because I know more about basketball than football (grew up playing the former, not the latter) means NOTHING about what kind of fan I am. Saying otherwise is simply ignorant on your part and nothing more.

I don't think anyone is claiming Matt is the best thing to happen to UK sports. I have my problems with Matt as well but on this point I don't know what else he can do. "Just report more on football." We report what? What has happened with football that he hasn't reported on? Report just to say that you filled up space on a subject is how the really bad sites operate.

When there is football news Matt does report it. You still get better info on this board but Matt does do a good enough job that it is hard to take issue with it. This past week I'd say about 70% or so of the news was about football recruiting. People need to understand that news happens in cycles. During the NCAA basketball tournament about 90% of the news will be basketball. During the week leading up to a big football game 90% will be football. That's just how it is. The news follows the events. Not much Matt can do about it. He can increase football coverage just for the sake of increasing it but he will just be repeating previously known news.

Also you have to defend Matt on one other point. We have had more interviews and informationals on UK football coaches than we have ever had on basketball. We just had a video on his site about Eric Korem and this was far from the first that we've seen of him. I have never seen a video interviewing UK basketball's conditioning coach. We've had several features, interviews and biographies on Stoops, Marrow Eliot, Dawson, etc. How many have you seen on Matt's site about John Robic?

Matt does cover basketball recruiting a lot but there is typically more information regrading basketball recruits. I am not sure what is really expected of Matt regarding football coverage. The OP may not want to hear that basketball has more of a fan following but it's hard to deny that this is a fact.

I go on KSR for football stuff only right now. Anything BB I just skip over it, especially when I see something about Coach BS, his ego is just over the top for me. Been an avid BB fan since the mid-sixties, but he's taking the fun out of it for me.

And Maggard has some really good FF articles and inside info.

I have tuned out KSR for the summer because it is too much politics. I really hate mixing politics with my UK sports but nothing I can do but turn the station. Which I do. Plus the last person I would go to would be Matt Jones to find out about football. I listen to Tom Leach from 9 to 10 and he covers everything I need.

Reactions: devilpuppet
I have tuned out KSR for the summer because it is too much politics. I really hate mixing politics with my UK sports but nothing I can do but turn the station. Which I do. Plus the last person I would go to would be Matt Jones to find out about football. I listen to Tom Leach from 9 to 10 and he covers everything I need.
Matt Jones is a political want a be.

I for one have had it. I can't take it anymore. How dare Matt Jones and his Pro-Kentucky group of cronies report on the most popular sports at the University of Kentucky that most Kentucky fans enjoy reading. We should not stand for this. What about the National Championship Cheerleading Squad and our electrifying Dance Team? Surely these finely toned athletes and rhythmically charged spirit leaders deserve an entire exposé. Do they still like to Move it, Move it? Why have there been no updates on this years uniforms with photos modeling the new combinations. Will be be going full coverage or will we be inspiring Big Blue with a crop top this summer? What about the upcoming crop of new recruits? I haven't seen a single scouting report, how can we be sure Suzy J Smiths legs are springy enough without a statistical analysis? What about the a report on the latest in sports bra technology and how it prevents injury?

Surely KSRs experienced photographer and investigative reporter Drew Franklin could dive deep into the locker room for some one to one interviews, personal profiles of the athletes, and at the very least a photo essay to shed some light on what we can expect this year.

On a serious note, they've got football coverage. I'm sure they'll have a lot more once the season starts and theres actually something to talk about. If its not enough for you, well thats fine too. Also no disrespect meant to the Cheerleaders or Dance Team. The tricks they pull off make this old man wonder how a human body does that.

I know the OP thinks I am a KSR nut hugger, but MJ showed how much he cares about football when talking about the two players that were finally cleared: "Ball and Wiggins".

I would have agreed with Posters' assumption if it were true as of NOW. yes, it was VERY lacking BUT the site and its' ownership and management have made a concerted effort to up the football by adding knowledge. Nick Rousch does the recruiting and stories, and they hired THE FREDDIE MAGGARD to give us football people the INSIGHT WE WANT.

Freddie will get better as he becomes accustomed to what he is doing - but even now we have much better info and more of it erupting from the KSR site.

And I for one - use it for all my news for UK Basketball AND Football....

If you want to keep bitching - DO ONE YO DANG SELF! Just become the next KSR blog that is one of the most highly rated program sin kentucky and SLAYS all others in Louisville....which make me cackle out loud

I'm sorry, but some of the football only fans have to be some of the biggest damn crybabies ever. You can bet your bottom dollar that a new thread like this will be on here at least once a week. WAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [roll]

Mike,
I've encountered many bball only fans that do not want Football to be successful at UK or any level. They whine and cry about anything they believe may detract from bball. They're scared.

When coaching Football in deepest, darkest eastern Ky many years ago. We were starting a program, thus talking to every kid in the school about playing Football. A dad of one of those kids told me he didn't want me talking to his kid about Football. He was going to be a bball player. Interestingly, that kid was 5'2" and weighed about 180 as an 8th grader.

Like I've said before, it's nice to be good in bball but it's not even comparable on a national scale to being good at Football.

I'd trade the 8 basketball battles for football one's in a heartbeat. Anyone who wouldn't really doesn't understand how this whole college sports thing works.

Reactions: ram1955
I'd trade the 8 basketball battles for football one's in a heartbeat. Anyone who wouldn't really doesn't understand how this whole college sports thing works.

Heck, I'd trade every nc just to be bowl eligible every year and maybe go to a NYD bowl once every 5 years or so.

Mike,
I've encountered many bball only fans that do not want Football to be successful at UK or any level. They whine and cry about anything they believe may detract from bball. They're scared.
Well thats just a silly fear. We get many football commits when they see the excitement our basketball program creates at games and just how great our fanbase can be. Theres plenty of money for both Basketball and Football to succeed. I never understood how anyone could be a 1 sport fan anyway.

If you want up to the minute news then Twitter is your go-to .. Just have to follow the right people

The few times I have been on KSR I have already known the news via Twitter so I just don't visit.
Love the pre game and radio shows though. It's the only thing I can listen to being so far away.

Well thats just a silly fear. We get many football commits when they see the excitement our basketball program creates at games and just how great our fanbase can be. Theres plenty of money for both Basketball and Football to succeed. I never understood how anyone could be a 1 sport fan anyway.

Agree that it's silly. I don't have a problem with a fan being a one sport fan as much as I have problems with kids being one sport kids. Back in the day, I had to tell a coach that we'd have a new coach next year if he told his kids not to play other sports.

Agree there's enough $ at UK. It's just disproportionately spent on bball and the other lesser sports If Ky can have seasons like Curci's 77 season, people won't even think about bball until the Football season is over.

A giant fanatical fan base is heartbroken with 38-1, while the self described microwave fans are glowing hot with a six consecutive loss 5-7. What is a businessman broadcaster to do....

Yep. Like all 3 people who were listening were like....

200_s.gif

I once heard Jones mispronounce Big George Asafo-Adjei's name... I mean how could ANYONE mispronounce his name? He did it on the radio too when he was still a recruit! We should all count our lucky chickens the guy didn't cut Kentucky from his list right then and there...

Reactions: I am stupid
MJ has found a niche. He's found one of the few places in the country where you can talk about bball every day and people will care. In fact, I just saw a 2014 that said college bball was the favorite sport of only 3% of the poll's respondents....ranking not only behind the NFL, MLB, College Football, but auto racing, nba, nhl (can you believe that?). He is in the envious position of having a job doing what he seems to enjoy doing....talking about sports, but largely bball, in one of the few places in the world that he could be successful doing so. Commendable.

I can believe it because I saw that poll. I've quoted it more than once. Having lived outside Kentucky for the better part of 40 years now I can also attest to it. No one, and I mean no one here cares about college basketball. As you said there are precious few places where he could do what he does. Kansas, Indiana, and N Carolina probably being the other's, but you can't blame the guy for doing what he does in one of those places, and I assume making a pretty good living doing it.

Mike,

When coaching Football in deepest, darkest eastern Ky many years ago. We were starting a program, thus talking to every kid in the school about playing Football. A dad of one of those kids told me he didn't want me talking to his kid about Football. He was going to be a bball player. Interestingly, that kid was 5'2" and weighed about 180 as an 8th grader.

Like I've said before, it's nice to be good in bball but it's not even comparable on a national scale to being good at Football.

Prob afraid he was gonna get killed out their. Lol

I don't think anybody understands how the whole thing you're talking about works .

Reactions: CB3UK
I'd trade the whole football program for some new basketball racks , now that I've won that debate let us move on to the real tragedy of KSR . Since it went mainstream it has become family oriented and the pictures of hot chicks have vanished from the website , now that is something to complain about .

Reactions: BigBoyBlueMMA
Yes its my problem?...becasue im the one ranting...I want to visit it, and I will, nd I can also tell them ways it needs to be improved in my opinion. Some of you act like youve never complained about anything in your life, get real.

By all means you like the rest of us silly people are intitled to your own opinion. if you wish to post your KSR opinion on this sight, I for one support your right to do so. But at the same, all of us who read your post have that same right to post our opinions about your post.
I wonder if may be, just possibly that if you want actions taken concerning the content of KSR, the best place to get your KSR concerns heard and possibly acted on is on the KSR sight. Just saying.....

I'd trade the whole football program for some new basketball racks , now that I've won that debate let us move on to the real tragedy of KSR . Since it went mainstream it has become family oriented and the pictures of hot chicks have vanished from the website , now that is something to complain about .

That's funny! Thanks for the laugh..

I don't understand why some on here are football only while others are basketball only. I am UK only. I want all of our athletic programs to succeed. From basketball and football all the way to tennis and golf, I want them all to do well. If you are a true UK fan you should feel that way too.

Okay before you "well theres a couple football stories" people come flying in, its ridiculous that their top last 2 stories are about basketball, with football a month away. And I dont wanna hear the "well basketball is so much more popular in Kentucky and they probably get more views from it" crud either, because their top 3 stories (based on the ones with most comments recently) are alllllll football ones.

I dont care what it is, I am 10000000000% sure there is better articles that you can make from UK football than their current story about a freakin basketball recruit cutting down to a top 10 and Kentucky being in it lmao. WHO CARES. 95% of your top basketball recruits have UK in their TOP 10. Means NOTHING. And another about De'Aron Fox, you know, the best PG that will ever walk UK's campus for the 5th year running. Oh, and some more stuff about yet another "best recruiting class ever". Im all for everything Kentucky but at some points it gets dumb. its almost football season, well is currently to me, and they want to talk basketball 3/4 the day.

And when it is football half of their remarks are sarcasm and pretty much acting amazed when UK does something good in football, which yes, isnt common, but they almost make fun of their own team by doing so, and then wander why theres a negative perception on UK football.

I understand basketball is what we are known for, but from what I see, all of their popular stories are about football, yet 75% of their stories are basketball. I see no real fan or business logic in that.

I hear you completley man, I just stopped having hope in them a long time ago..it wouldn't really bother me if it weren't for the fact that they're now considered the face of UK sports to many..it's not just them though..all of the Kentucky media are like that, it's just that KSR is probably the most visible and their knowledge of football is the lowest..but the media around here have this misconception that basketball draws more eyes than football and it's just not true, the media around Kentucky are just more into basketball..I always find it funny that these newspapers and media outlets will usually send the writer at the bottom of their totem pole or one of their newbies to cover football..for example KSR has Tyler Thompson write the very few football posts that they do write (to say she's not exactly a Kentucky football expert/fan would be the understatement of the century) and the Herald leader has Jennifer Smith cover football..nothing against either of them, because they're relatively quality writers, but it just seems like a slightly odd decision considering that neither cares all that much about the sport, has ever played the sport, or has a deep knowledge of the sport. If you follow College football journalism at all you know that a young female being a beat writer for a football team is about the rarest thing in the world, but in Kentucky we seemed to be stacked with them..I don't think it's a coincidence..it's because Drew Franklin doesn't want to write about football, Jerry Tipton doesn't want to write about football..the best writers at these places are always basketball first guys, and they pass the football beat onto either the new guy at the paper or a female journalist that's trying to gain some experience..that's just a small dose of what happens in Kentucky..I've gotten used to it..the A team at the newspaper will cover basketball..the B team will cover basketball recruiting..and the C team/newbies will cover the nation's most popular sport

I can guarantee you one thing: if/when Kentucky starts winning in football, MJ and Drew Franklin will quickly be on the bandwagon (even though their mind will still be 95% occupied with a sport that's an afterthought for most of the country outside of two weeks in March)

Last edited:

Serious question...are human beings not allowed to have personal preferences? He's not a university employee you know

I don't understand why some on here are football only while others are basketball only. I am UK only. I want all of our athletic programs to succeed. From basketball and football all the way to tennis and golf, I want them all to do well. If you are a true UK fan you should feel that way too.

I can explain both..

People around here are basketball only because they like winning teams..they most likely cheer for the Yankees and Bama or USC, etc in football

As for the football only fan (I'm not football only, but I'm football-first) they are that way because they see how much damage our reputation as a basketball school has done over the years, from diverting investment in the program, to distracting the administration's focus on football..just read my signature if you want details..a football only guy understands that you can have a good basketball program when you put football first at your school, but your success is going to be few and far between when your administration puts the 2nd-most important sport first on the priority list..it's a whole lot more common for Florida, Texas, Michigan, Ohio State, Arkansas, USC, Wisconsin, Va. Tech, Baylor, etc to have both programs be good than it is for basketball-first places to have both major sports be elite..why do you think that is? How many basketball-first schools can you think of that have had even moderate football success for a somewhat sustained period of time similar to what those teams above have had in bball? Know why you're struggling? It's because you CANNOT put basketball-first (ahead of the breadwinner) and expect to be good at both sports consistently..it would be like a husband making 120k/yr and a wife making 20k/yr, yet most of the household income is being invested in her clothing, and tbjngs to help her, while little to nohing is being done to help the breadwinner..it's just not a formula for success..look around the nation at the places that put basketball first..one or two might have football success every now and again, but it's RARE and it's fleeting.

Football is too big of a monster to be placed second to ANYTHING and to receive ANYTHING but a 100% investment..it can't be a 70% effort or 60% for appearances sake, it has to be 100% year-in, year-out, with the leftovers being invested in basketball..that's the formula if you want BOTH sports to be elite at the same time..there MIGHT be an exception here or there (although I can't think of any) but that's the formula..invest the bulk of money in the football program, and invest the leftovers in basketball (which is still more than enough for what basketball NEEDS to be successful)

When football is good, everyone can be good..when basketball is good, basketball is the only one that benefits, because all it does is distract the administration's time, money and attention away from the breadwinner that's paying the bills and doing the heavy-lifting

Last edited:
Reactions: ram1955
I'm still trying to figure out where some of you get the idea that MJ and crew don't want football to be good/don't care about football/etc. Matt has said MANY a time that ratings go down when they start talking about football on the radio, especially in a dead period like the summer. A radio show's job is to get as many listeners as possible, so why spend more time doing something that has proven to not draw as many listeners? I know it's tough to understand, but that radio show is a business.... ie it needs to make money. Talking basketball makes more money than talking football. Pretty simple.

As for the site, there's plenty football content on there for the vast majority of UK fans. The football nerds who want to get in depth on the advantages of a 3-4 vs a 4-3 when playing a mobile quarterback may want to look elsewhere, but for an average fan like me who wants to know when we landed a recruit or see someone like Maggard break things down in a way I can understand, they do a fine job. And once we start playing games in Sept there will be plenty more to read. Based on all that (which is tough to dispute), can someone please tell me how they know that Jones and the KSR crew don't care about football?

Reactions: Mike-D
I can explain both..

People around here are basketball only because they like winning teams..they most likely cheer for the Yankees and Bama or USC, etc in football

As for the football only fan (I'm not football only, but I'm football-first) they are that way because they see how much damage our reputation as a basketball school has done over the years, from diverting investment in the program, to distracting the administration's focus on football..just read my signature if you want details..a football only guy understands that you can have a good basketball program when you put football first at your school, but your success is going to be few and far between when your administration puts the 2nd-most important sport first on the priority list..it's a whole lot more common for Florida, Texas, Michigan, Ohio State, Arkansas, USC, Wisconsin, Va. Tech, Baylor, etc to have both programs be good than it is for basketball-first places to have both major sports be elite..why do you think that is? How many basketball-first schools can you think of that have had even moderate football success for a somewhat sustained period of time similar to what those teams above have had in bball? Know why you're struggling? It's because you CANNOT put basketball-first (ahead of the breadwinner) and expect to be good at both sports consistently..it would be like a husband making 120k/yr and a wife making 20k/yr, yet most of the household income is being invested in her clothing, and tbjngs to help her, while little to nohing is being done to help the breadwinner..it's just not a formula for success..look around the nation at the places that put basketball first..one or two might have football success every now and again, but it's RARE and it's fleeting.

Football is too big of a monster to be placed second to ANYTHING and to receive ANYTHING but a 100% investment..it can't be a 70% effort or 60% for appearances sake, it has to be 100% year-in, year-out, with the leftovers being invested in basketball..that's the formula if you want BOTH sports to be elite at the same time..there MIGHT be an exception here or there (although I can't think of any) but that's the formula..invest the bulk of money in the football program, and invest the leftovers in basketball (which is still more than enough for what basketball NEEDS to be successful)

When football is good, everyone can be good..when basketball is good, basketball is the only one that benefits, because all it does is distract the administration's time, money and attention away from the breadwinner that's paying the bills and doing the heavy-lifting
Dang fine post there.

Based on all that (which is tough to dispute), can someone please tell me how they know that Jones and the KSR crew don't care about football?

MJ is not the problem. If his listeners were interested in croquet, he'd be talking about croquet. The problem is the "average" Ky fan is more bball oriented than Football oriented. As has been discussed earlier, only in Ky, indiana, nc, maybe Kansas would this be true. bball ranks well below other sports in most places. When/if we win at a high level in Football, MJ and everyone else will forget about bball until after The season is over.

Reactions: Mike-D
UK is a "basketball" school and Matt just takes advantage of the opportunity. You go with what brings the ratings in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT