ADVERTISEMENT

Why on earth is KSR all basketball?...

TTU/UK fan

Senior
Gold Member
Oct 5, 2011
Okay before you "well theres a couple football stories" people come flying in, its ridiculous that their top last 2 stories are about basketball, with football a month away. And I dont wanna hear the "well basketball is so much more popular in Kentucky and they probably get more views from it" crud either, because their top 3 stories (based on the ones with most comments recently) are alllllll football ones.

I dont care what it is, I am 10000000000% sure there is better articles that you can make from UK football than their current story about a freakin basketball recruit cutting down to a top 10 and Kentucky being in it lmao. WHO CARES. 95% of your top basketball recruits have UK in their TOP 10. Means NOTHING. And another about De'Aron Fox, you know, the best PG that will ever walk UK's campus for the 5th year running. Oh, and some more stuff about yet another "best recruiting class ever". Im all for everything Kentucky but at some points it gets dumb. its almost football season, well is currently to me, and they want to talk basketball 3/4 the day.

And when it is football half of their remarks are sarcasm and pretty much acting amazed when UK does something good in football, which yes, isnt common, but they almost make fun of their own team by doing so, and then wander why theres a negative perception on UK football.

I understand basketball is what we are known for, but from what I see, all of their popular stories are about football, yet 75% of their stories are basketball. I see no real fan or business logic in that.

It's that way because Matt Jones doesn't know much about football and really doesn't care about it. That is obvious from listening to him after the games for a couple of years. If he cared KSR would be a better source for UKFB.

Reactions: eacsxt
In all fairness for the past week they have been having a lot of good football content. Maybe you should check that site more often if you want more football news as you apparently missed on it.
I'm not a KSR fan but they have for the last month seemed to got more serious about UK athletics and less about the fluff. As a result of that I have been clicking their link more often.

The only news KSR puts up on football is on commits or things you can find on twitter if youre there for 5 minutes, which is something they almost have to do to call themselves a "football source" along with basketball. In all fairness nothing, its football season, dont make excuses for them, they can find football stories even easier then these BS, basketball stories in which rarely are even commented on. With as huge of a week we have had in recruiting, the past 3 days should not be 75% basketball under any means.

In all honesty what does it matter? KSR is much like this sight (or any other multimedia sight) in that it provides a certain amount of entertainment to customers. You know and take from each what each has to offer. Outside of those aspects, again what does it matter?

mini_magick20140929-1536-vfuiaf.jpg

In all seriousness, I think adding Maggard has increased the amount of football related stuff they do. It might not be as much as some people want, but it has definitely been improving as of late.

Reactions: rudd1
I'm not even sure if the OP is serious.

Matt Jones bias' aside, which run rampant here, the KSR site has been quite active with football content this summer. In particular, F. Maggard has had some excellent features.

I don't understand why those who hate KSR/Jones keep going to the site. OP says he can get the same info from twitter...okay, go get it. If I don't like strawberries, I don't keep eating them.

For good or bad, their site is generating a couple hundred thousand hits a day, which means they are providing a lot of people with the content they want. I know that angers some, but if you don't like Limbaugh, don't listen to him. If you don't like Maddow, don't watch her. You actually have a choice.

In all honesty what does it matter? KSR is much like this sight (or any other multimedia sight) in that it provides a certain amount of entertainment to customers. You know and take from each what each has to offer. Outside of those aspects, again what does it matter?

My problem is they call themselves a football and basketball site, but instead, its a crap ton of basketball info and then some football stuff in which we already found out. Kind of like calling yourself a Beer and Cigarette store but you like the cigs more so thats about all you carry.

My problem is they call themselves a football and basketball site, but instead, its a crap ton of basketball info and then some football stuff in which we already found out. Kind of like calling yourself a Beer and Cigarette store but you like the cigs more so thats about all you carry.
Your problem? Lol. It is his site and he can put whatever he wants on it. And if you don't like it, don't visit it. It's that simple. Some of you people I swear.

I'm not even sure if the OP is serious.

Matt Jones bias' aside, which run rampant here, the KSR site has been quite active with football content this summer. In particular, F. Maggard has had some excellent features.

I don't understand why those who hate KSR/Jones keep going to the site. OP says he can get the same info from twitter...okay, go get it. If I don't like strawberries, I don't keep eating them.

For good or bad, their site is generating a couple hundred thousand hits a day, which means they are providing a lot of people with the content they want. I know that angers some, but if you don't like Limbaugh, don't listen to him. If you don't like Maddow, don't watch her. You actually have a choice.

I dont hate Jones under any means, even though he could upgrade his football knowledge to a degree, I like him,and i dont mind KSR, but my point here is they need to report more football. You think im on a rant to get them shut down and call them frauds. Not even close, I want more football, obviously along with many others, and that is my point here, to get people to agree they need to even it out more, not take them down. Its more of a ranting request you can call it. Lets be honest, basketball season wont be 75% football.

Your problem? Lol. It is his site and he can put whatever he wants on it. And if you don't like it, don't visit it. It's that simple. Some of you people I swear.

Yes its my problem?...becasue im the one ranting...I want to visit it, and I will, nd I can also tell them ways it needs to be improved in my opinion. Some of you act like youve never complained about anything in your life, get real.

They just said that Bell AND Miggins are enrolled. Guess it is just another basketball story though. :popcorn:
:joy: confused at what youre trying to prove. Thats big news, of coarse they are going to report that....:flush:
Doesnt change the fact that it is football season and still mostly basketball articles.[winking]

Okay before you "well theres a couple football stories" people come flying in, its ridiculous that their top last 2 stories are about basketball, with football a month away. And I dont wanna hear the "well basketball is so much more popular in Kentucky and they probably get more views from it" crud either, because their top 3 stories (based on the ones with most comments recently) are alllllll football ones.

I dont care what it is, I am 10000000000% sure there is better articles that you can make from UK football than their current story about a freakin basketball recruit cutting down to a top 10 and Kentucky being in it lmao. WHO CARES. 95% of your top basketball recruits have UK in their TOP 10. Means NOTHING. And another about De'Aron Fox, you know, the best PG that will ever walk UK's campus for the 5th year running. Oh, and some more stuff about yet another "best recruiting class ever". Im all for everything Kentucky but at some points it gets dumb. its almost football season, well is currently to me, and they want to talk basketball 3/4 the day.

And when it is football half of their remarks are sarcasm and pretty much acting amazed when UK does something good in football, which yes, isnt common, but they almost make fun of their own team by doing so, and then wander why theres a negative perception on UK football.

I understand basketball is what we are known for, but from what I see, all of their popular stories are about football, yet 75% of their stories are basketball. I see no real fan or business logic in that.
You are more likely to hear MJ railing on some gop guy or gal that talking football...Why I don't listen as much as I use to and I was a BIG supporter of the show...Just don't make special time to listen anymore...

Love when people complain about something that they have every right not to participate in. If you do not like their show or website, do not listen or click on it. Its that simple.

Reactions: SosaUK
There is more football articles now than ever before. They are starting to make an effort. I'm not complaining.

-i listen occasionally. I enjoy it. I dont take MJ seriously, Shannon is funny and Ryan is there.

-keep expectations low, take it for what it is and it is fine. Occasionally you will get something worthwhile out of the show.

:joy: confused at what youre trying to prove. Thats big news, of coarse they are going to report that....:flush:
Doesnt change the fact that it is football season and still mostly basketball articles.[winking]

Right now, on Page 1 they have 6 entries about Football, 7 on basketball, and a few random/mixed. I think they are doing great compared to how they have always been.

His job is to get ratings and entertain...much like Danny I no longer care if I miss the show. I think he tries his best to support football but hoops is the Bell cow. We have to start beating SEC teams for anything to change. Once the games start he will talk more about football. If I don't like a show I turn the channel

I would just say if you are not happy with it, go somewhere else. This is always an issue but they can do whatever they want. They know basketball better and have better basketball connections. I love football and basketball but fact is most people viewing that site are much more of a basketball fan than a football fan. I don't know why this is so difficult for some to deal with. It is still as good as about anywhere else for football news with the addition of Maggard.

Reactions: I am stupid
I'll admit that I know much more about our basketball program, players and coachs than I do football. That doesn't mean I don't watch them on TV or attend an occasional football game. I love UK football and want them to succeed just as much as anybody else on here.

I think KSR has ramped up their coverage of UK football in the last year or two and will likely increase the coverage if we can consistently field a competitive team.

I hear ya OP. I think the issue is that it has become so wildly successful that at some point he has an, almost, obligation to the fanbase to give us what we want. Ultimately it's Matt's show and he is entitled to do what he wants with it. When we put 50,000 in the seats for the spring game in 2013, like it or not, KSR had a large part in that because they got the fans hyped about it. Point being, when he poopoo's talking football in July, that has an impact on the fan mentality and program perception. He's talking about awful country songs and ranking best cereal or fast food, as opposed to talking football. Any other SEC school's main radio guys would be talking non-stop football all summer long. Here it's ,"I don't really know the difference between a nickel and dime defense, and I don't think our fans really care to talk about it.". Yes, yes we do. Get someone on there who can intelligently talk football. He is at least open about his lack of knowledge, but the not give a crap attitude about it is not OK.

Reactions: Stonewall12

Hey, thanks for heads up on the couple of new basketball stories on KSR. I haven't checked those out yet; been away from the computer.

Reactions: Uk1111
I don't understand why, if someone has a complaint about one business, they complain about them to another business. WTF?

Hey, thanks for heads up on the couple of new basketball stories on KSR. I haven't checked those out yet; been away from the computer.

...and yet the first place you look for information on KSR basketball stories is on the Rivals football forum. Bwahahahaha!

Though I don't always go for the silliness that goes on on his show, I respect his work, commitment and ingenuity. He's successful. KSR posting bball stuff during Football season is only a symptom of a bigger problem. He would not post such information if he didn't know people would be interested. And that's the problem. A significant number of Ky fans have accepted that we will likely never be a national power in football, so they've resigned themselves to being successful even taking pride in being successful in a lesser sport; a sport that plays a distant second fiddle to Football across the nation.
Being the big guy in bball vs being the big guy in Football is like a small pond bass bragging about being a big fish to a killer whale.
MJ is a businessman and is doing a great job selling his product.

Though I don't always go for the silliness that goes on on his show, I respect his work, commitment and ingenuity. He's successful. KSR posting bball stuff during Football season is only a symptom of a bigger problem. He would not post such information if he didn't know people would be interested. And that's the problem. A significant number of Ky fans have accepted that we will likely never be a national power in football, so they've resigned themselves to being successful even taking pride in being successful in a lesser sport; a sport that plays a distant second fiddle to Football across the nation.
Being the big guy in bball vs being the big guy in Football is like a small pond bass bragging about being a big fish to a killer whale.
MJ is a businessman and is doing a great job selling his product.

100% agreed

You guys are right. It has improved as far as football is concerned and Freddie's stuff is golden. I like his articles better than just about any football content on the net. Covering football better was probably a business decision which is fine. It is better. Matt still probably couldn't tell you who UK played in our last bowl game or explain a trap block to save his life but who cares?

Reactions: 1_Cool_CAT
Whenever they have days where they talk a lot of football most of the callers still call in to talk basketball. That is not Jones fault, he has said many times the worst ratings and lowest amount of calls is the month leading up to football.

MJ has found a niche. He's found one of the few places in the country where you can talk about bball every day and people will care. In fact, I just saw a 2014 that said college bball was the favorite sport of only 3% of the poll's respondents....ranking not only behind the NFL, MLB, College Football, but auto racing, nba, nhl (can you believe that?). He is in the envious position of having a job doing what he seems to enjoy doing....talking about sports, but largely bball, in one of the few places in the world that he could be successful doing so. Commendable.

It's that way because Matt Jones doesn't know much about football and really doesn't care about it. That is obvious from listening to him after the games for a couple of years. If he cared KSR would be a better source for UKFB.

He doesn't know much about basketball either, but that hasn't stopped him.

MJ's got a pretty simple business formula... He sells ___ for free to a lot of ___ eaters. Fill in the blanks to suit.
There aren't many guys out there selling ___ so he can do pretty much what he wants without fear of the competition.
And he's good at it!!! He's so good that he was hired to MC a ___ slinging contest down on a farm in WKY.
So like him or not he's our ___head, or leader, however one looks at it, on the Net and radio.
Go MJ!!! we kid...........

Reactions: SosaUK
This thread is posted time to time and it's always the same results.

The Matt defenders (Raftards) claiming Matt is the best thing to happen to UK sports. I suspect some of these are just KSR shills.

The truth is Matt doesn't like football. He is basketball obsessed. I mean, he would kick his mom in the face if he thought it would let him smell Cal's nutsack.

People keep pointing out that he has brought in Maggard to help out. And while that is true, people forget he has done this around 5 or 6 times already. He'll bring in football only coverage guys and they usually end up leaving the site after a few months. One can only imagine they don't get along with Matt or probably feel like they aren't very supported.

Matt is clearly biased and you only need to look at his twitter or listen to him talk to see where he clearly stands. He posted around 20 times in a row about Jamal Murray in the middle of the hot recruiting streak the football team was on.

He constantly cries and whines about Kevin Stallings for taking shots at UK. But then turns around and applauds and says he loves when Spurrier takes shots at UK.

Have to agree with the others though, quit going to his site if you don't like it. I haven't been in years. Let him baste in the worship from his rupptards.

ADVERTISEMENT