ADVERTISEMENT

Why does the NBA want to stop hack-A-Shack strategy?

Apr 21, 2015
I feel like stopping it will give a team that has horrible free throw shooters an advantage. Imagine if they done this when Shaq was around, Phil could have kept him on the floor and not worried about people fouling him; I think it is a good startegy for teams to use so why make it easier for star players who cant shoot free throws?

I hate the strategy. It rewards a team for committing an illegal act. A deliberate foul is an illegal act and should be treated as such. I feel the same way about the we all know deliberate fouls at the end of games that creates a parade to the foul line and gives a team that is behind a chance to catch up by committing an illegal act. I would like to see the offense be given one shot and the choice of either taking the ball out of bounds or shooting a second foul shot. Another option would be to make such fouls 3 shot fouls.

It's a brilliant strategy.

Still doesn't change the fact that teams that employ it look like complete bitches *cough*San Antonio*cough* and makes the quality of the games really frustrating and boring as a fan. Yeah, guys should learn how to make free throws, no arguments here, but as a fan I just want to see teams play straight up and see what each of them's got within the flow of the game, not free throw contests. That's why the two teams I seem to be enjoying watching the most in the playoffs are Houston and Washington (aside from the fact that they've each got a Cat starting for them). They play fast, are fun to watch, have young stars shining bright, don't spend the entire game flopping and employing other cheap tactics, and don't have a ton of ACC connections (which may explain why there's not a lot of flopping and cheap tactics).

I don't think there's a way you can really get rid of it, though, unless you just get rid of calling fouls altogether.

It was hack a Shaq, not shack, and if he'd been smaller he'd been killed. He was a really bad free throw shooter.

I think it's a great strategy and see nothing wrong with it. You play to your teams advantages. If you got fouls to give and the other team has a sucky free throw shooter thats their fault. I'm all about winning if that's what it takes to win then i'm going to do it.

Reactions: joester5612
It's a horrible "strategy" that doesn't really work. I can't remember too many games that the Lakers lost because of Hack-a-Shaq. Even when the Spurs used it the other night it back fired on them. The Clippers were able to get back in the game and ultimately take the lead in the 4th quarter. And that's not even mentioning that it makes the games horrible to watch.

The strategy doesn't really work. Especially the way the Spurs are doing it while they're ahead so early in the shot clock. Seth Partnow has two good pieces on it not being a good strategy, I'd suggest reading them.

It's a horrible strategy.

Prior to the playoffs, LAC was 12-0 this season when DeAndre Jordan took at least 12 shots. So obviously using this strategy a lot of times isn't going to work. It may work out time to time (like last night), but most of the time it doesn't work.

It has unintended benefits for the team getting fouled. Just look at OKC, for example. They have near zero depth and no legitimate backup to Cp3, so he plays tons of minutes. When a team just starts fouling DeAndre Jordan on every possession, why keep CP3 on the court for some of those minutes? You can get him extra rest because what's the point of having him in there? And since it slows down the game, you can get CP3 more rest without using nearly as much game clock as you would have to use up if the other team played a real defense.

Additionally, there is only so much fouling that can be done until it starts to become a detriment to the fouling team.

I hate the idea. Learn to make free throws

or take the bad free throw shooter off the court.

i hate this idea. and i'm not even sure how the NBA could do away with it. I guess they could start awarding one shot and the ball for hack-a-shaq type fouls, but where would the NBA draw the line for intentional fouls at the end of the game? 1 minutes? 5 minutes? who knows?

i don't think any coach would want to be in a position where he couldn't intentionally foul if his team was down by two with fifteen seconds left.

A win is a win no matter how it happens.
15 years from now nobody will remember why or how the clippers kept losing.

If you don't like someone using a strategy against you, then make them pay for it. LEARN TO HIT FREE THROWS! I was better at free throws in 6th grade than some of these NBA big guys. Its just pathetic. MAKE SOME DAMN FREE THROWS. Dirk Nowitzki is 6'10'' /6'11'' and he has no issues. Many European big men can make free throws and 3s. SO STOP COMPLAINING. Work on your free throw shooting.

It is so ridiculous. Are we just going to help everyone out so their weaknesses aren't exposed? "Don't make this guy go left cause he's only good with his right hand" , "Don't play zone because we can't shoot from the outside", etc.

I don't have a problem with the strategy. My issue is the changing of the game. Why is the game played one way for 46 minutes then it changes in the last 2 min of the game. I don't care which way the League goes on the issue buts lets play one way the entire game.

There can come a point where you change the game too much. The NFL is getting close, in a couple of years it may just be 7 on 7 with flags. What's the point of ANY big man working on his foul shooting it he can't be fouled at the end of a game. The one and done's have hurt the NBA game with a lack of basic basketball skills before players enter the league. Institute this rule, and good luck getting a kid to work on his foul shooting

There can come a point where you change the game too much. The NFL is getting close, in a couple of years it may just be 7 on 7 with flags. What's the point of ANY big man working on his foul shooting it he can't be fouled at the end of a game. The one and done's have hurt the NBA game with a lack of basic basketball skills before players enter the league. Institute this rule, and good luck getting a kid to work on his foul shooting
We're not talking about end of game situations, we're talking about like what teams are doing to DeAndre Jordan, Dwight Howard, Josh Smith, etc. when teams will intentionally foul them all game long once they are in the bonus.

I feel like stopping it will give a team that has horrible free throw shooters an advantage. Imagine if they done this when Shaq was around, Phil could have kept him on the floor and not worried about people fouling him; I think it is a good startegy for teams to use so why make it easier for star players who cant shoot free throws?

I agree. I don't think the rule should change because that should be a risk that a team takes if they have that player on the floor that can't shoot free throws. I remember they did hack a Splinter some years back against San Antonio and he couldn't make a free throw but he took the time to work on his free throws in the off season.

So I don't think the rule should change. These guys who can't make free throws need to take the time to get better at it.

ADVERTISEMENT