ADVERTISEMENT

who in anyones opinion is a sleeper on D out of the new comers or redshirts?

Oh yeah forgot about Edwards. Didn't Ohio st come in late and try to snag him?

Edwards and West will make us forget about Lowery at the Safety spot very quickly. I also look for one of the incoming DBs to turn heads and get lots of playing time.

Edwards and West probably could of went just about anywhere in nation if they wanted. Blessed that they ate ours. Them 2 with Stamps seems to show promise of a SEC Defensive secondary.

I am going to assume that you mean the true Freshmen. I think George A-A will start at RT and any time a true Freshman starts on the OL it is a big surprise. I think RB King is also going to surprise with his contributions this year.

I really do not see Edwards and West being big suprises since IMO both would have played last year if injuries and IMO some problems with eligibility in Edwards case hadn't prevented such.

I also think incoming JUCO DL Miggins is going to surprise some people.

I think TFR TE CJ Conrad is going to be great as a True Freshman but I don't think that will surprise very many people.

Out of new comers and Red shirts. Any player that might come out of no where and have a impact more then expected. Curious if anyones heard anything about someone in practices suprising coaching staff etc..I was talking about defensive players C1180.

I do not have any player in particular of the Redshirts and true Freshmen that I think will surprise because the ones I might list IMO it will not be much of a surprise if they do well.

I really think that the biggest surprise to me would be if the Transfer LB Courtney love were to get his request approved and be allowed to play this season. or maybe one of the big True Freshmen CBs blowing up and making a difference in the UK secondary this season.

DE/LB Kengera Daniels might be a good pick since he plays a position where the Cats lost a lot last year and needs for some players to step up. He seems to already have a SEC type body and came in early for spring camp. I however will not be too surprised if he either starts or makes the two deep.

Last edited:
Will go with Marcus Walker from Lake Wales. I talked to a rival coach and he said that Marcus is a stud player in the 2ndary.

Will go with Marcus Walker from Lake Wales. I talked to a rival coach and he said that Marcus was a beast in the 2ndary.

i think cj johnson and melvin lewis will make the second year juco leap in a way that fans are saying "where was this line play last year?". i think people forget that they were relatively new to football to begin with. add in the typical improvement from 1st year jucos to their senior year... and we will have a solid 1 - 2 punch on the d line that we haven't had since peters and pryor in 06.

but in that same context i expect flannigan to make a huge leap this year too. he has the physical tools to play on sundays. i think its just a matter of becoming comfortable with the playbook and his assignments to where he is playing instinctively and flying to the ball.

as far as new new... i hope its ware. we need him to be solid at that outside backer spot. hatcher will be decent at worst and really good at best. but we need all 4 backers to make plays and cover their responsibilities.

I was listening to Larry Glover yesterday and he had John Schlarman on and I thought it was interesting that Schlarman said George A is already the strongest player on the team as a true frosh..after hearing that I'd be pretty shocked if he doesn't start and make a big impact

Also, I know he's not a frosh, but I think we're going to see Matt Elam step up and make a big impact this year..after a year in the weight room and losing some bad weight he's going to be a heck of a lot more effective this year..I know a lot of ppl were disappointed that he didn't make some kind of huge impact last year as a true frosh playing D tackle in the SEC, but those expectations were just ridiculous..that's just not a position where teenagers can come in and dominate

Reactions: buckkiller
I was listening to Larry Glover yesterday and he had John Schlarman on and I thought it was interesting that Schlarman said George A is already the strongest player on the team as a true frosh..after hearing that I'd be pretty shocked if he doesn't start and make a big impact

Also, I know he's not a frosh, but I think we're going to see Matt Elam step up and make a big impact this year..after a year in the weight room and losing some bad weight he's going to be a heck of a lot more effective this year..I know a lot of ppl were disappointed that he didn't make some kind of huge impact last year as a true frosh playing D tackle in the SEC, but those expectations were just ridiculous..that's just not a position where teenagers can come in and dominate

I thought Elam did good clogging the middle and thought Stoops and company could of used him a little more then they did. Not to get off subject but wasn't there a game or 2 that Elam played early in games? In those games teams struggled running ball but all of sudden you would hardly see him in there. Then teams would just run at will. Plus a coupl times teams were going for it on 4th and 1 and Elam was no where to be found?

Reactions: jnewc2
Tymere dubose will give some depth at D end. Nico Ferios I think will be a violent surprise at LB, and Mike Edwards seems to have a nack for knowing when to come up into run support, as well as pretty good cover skills. This was just observed on tape, didn't shy away from contact.!! You didn't ask about offensive surprises, but I really like Tavin Richardson as a big Target in traffic . This kid is better than the noise he made in his recruitment, He just doesn't know it yet!!!!!!:boom::boxing:

I thought Elam did good clogging the middle and thought Stoops and company could of used him a little more then they did. Not to get off subject but wasn't there a game or 2 that Elam played early in games? In those games teams struggled running ball but all of sudden you would hardly see him in there. Then teams would just run at will. Plus a coupl times teams were going for it on 4th and 1 and Elam was no where to be found?

I remember thinking that exact same thing last year..he was pretty decent at closing the holes in the middle the few times he was in there..the coaches would usually say something about him needing to be more consistent with his technique and his practice habits and that kind of stuff when they were asked about his play. I think he has one of the highest ceilings on the team honestly. He can be as good as he wants to be if he's willing to work on his body & game.

I think Mike Edwards is going to get a lot of PT this year, I wouldn't be shocked if he found a start or two.

I agree that Elam has a lot of up side but he has to want it enough to get in football shape and improve his technique. I do not think it however would be a huge surprise if he had a break out year.

I agree that Elam has a lot of up side but he has to want it enough to get in football shape and improve his technique. I do not think it however would be a huge surprise if he had a break out year.

Elam's hardly alone. Everybody on the roster needs to want it enough to get in football shape and improve their technique.

Do you think the Senior corners lose their first string spot during the year with some of the talent that is coming into secondary ?

I remember thinking that exact same thing last year..he was pretty decent at closing the holes in the middle the few times he was in there..the coaches would usually say something about him needing to be more consistent with his technique and his practice habits and that kind of stuff when they were asked about his play. I think he has one of the highest ceilings on the team honestly. He can be as good as he wants to be if he's willing to work on his body & game.

He is going to be a load by the time he graduates and your right pretty much sky is the limit for him. If he wants it I bet he could play on Sundays for sometime. He will have to want it and earn it. I am looking forward to see his progression from fresh to soph.

Do you think the Senior corners lose their first string spot during the year with some of the talent that is coming into secondary ?
I think it may take a few games but I could see us starting a freshman cb By the Uf game.

Saw a picture of dubose and he's noticeably bigger. Don't know how much he contributes this year but it won't be because he's too small.

A big surprise will be Firios....but I think he will be like Forrest and come along all season and be A DEMON at end of the year - and very much needed during SEC as he is a Runstopper

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT