ADVERTISEMENT

Which positional unit makes the biggest leap forward?

Robcatt24

♩♪♫♬♭♮♯°ø؂≠≭
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2005
I think the LB corps takes a big step up next season.

Particularly Ryan Flannigan. He started coming on toward the end of last season.

Originally posted by Robcatt24:

Particularly Ryan Flannigan. He started coming on toward the end of last season.
The biggest improvement in 2015 will come from Kentucky's receivers. But linebackers is 1 of our biggest areas of need, so I hope you are onto something.

It had better be the D as a whole because UK will not win many SEC games giving up yards and points by the bucket full like they've done in past years.

We should be more experienced and deeper at most positions, but I think the D-line looks really good (assuming the Jack position is grouped with the linebackers). The only real loss is Smith but we're adding RSs Dubose, Hyde, Meant, Middleton & Ware. That should allow the coaches to rotate 3 deep whenever they want. That in itself is huge in preserving the starters for the later stages of the game. I expect big years out of Corey Johnson, Lewis and Elam.

One position that worries me is running back. We are down to 3 not counting the incoming freshmen class, and Williams has a concussion history. It could get really bad here if the injury bug hits.

Hopefully the offensive and defensive lines. Those are the ones that have to improve anyways. The two most important positions on the team and ours were two of the worst in the nation last year. Stoops has to change that soon or he's going to be headed for big trouble

This post was edited on 3/22 5:21 PM by jnewc2

Without a doubt Linebacker will be most improved. We were terrible there last year. Flanagan improved a lot towards the end and should improve more. We also red shirted some really good talent. At least a couple of those guys should contribute heavily.

Hope it's the O-line. As the line improves so does the QB, running, and passing games.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
I look for a total team improvement. Both lines need to be more aggressive and get at least more blocking and push.
Linebackers need a big jump, so does the qb position. I can't think of any thing but a total team effort.
Go BB

We have a huge influx of new defensive players that were red shirted last year that have a year of the system under their belt. I look for the entire defense to be better, stronger, faster and more competitive.

Next season begins the changing of the guard. Stoops Troops are here and from here on out our defenses will be a reflection of our coach. I'm ready for it.

This post was edited on 3/22 8:13 PM by bluescat92

I think the whole team improves. The only position that may slide back or sideways is the DE/Jack-back positions left by Z and Bud leaving. So I think we'll see improvement more or less across the board.

Now, any in particular that will get people talking? I think Tolwes starts and with a better supporting cast. He will take a big leap forward that will make us really excited about 2016.

Special teams
3dgrin.r191677.gif

The seconday was the unit that immediately came to mind for me and no one has mentioned it yet. Edwards and West reportedly looked very good in our first few practices. Tucker was one of our best scout team players as a freshman. McWilson really started turning it on at the end of last season. I know Quinn and Tiller found themselves outclassed at times last year but they were vastly improved from the two years prior soin hoping for a similar jump again this year. McClain and Randolph were our two most talented players in the secondary and I suspect that they've both gotten bigger, stronger, and faster. Randolph should take a big step forward as most players do in their sophomore season. Westry, Walker, Baity, and Beckham are all very solid freshmen that could contribute this year.because of the size and length that they bring and we so desperately need. The secondary is easily the position group that we've recruited the best since Stoops got here and with Stoops personally coaching the corners I expect that to continue and we should see a serious uptick in their development as well. I've only heard rave reviews on the secondary after our first few spring practices

Originally posted by Deeeefense:
We should be more experienced and deeper at most positions, but I think the D-line looks really good (assuming the Jack position is grouped with the linebackers). The only real loss is Smith but we're adding RSs Dubose, Hyde, Meant, Middleton & Ware. That should allow the coaches to rotate 3 deep whenever they want. That in itself is huge in preserving the starters for the later stages of the game. I expect big years out of Corey Johnson, Lewis and Elam.

One position that worries me is running back. We are down to 3 not counting the incoming freshmen class, and Williams has a concussion history. It could get really bad here if the injury bug hits.
boom has a concussion history?

Hopefully the secondary becomes one of the best we've had. With more bodies to rotate up front, and a good secondary, we reduce the number of long yardage plays against us...and reduce the fatigue factor. Make the opponent use long sustained drives in order to score. More chance for mistakes, turnovers, etc.

If I'm not mistaken this is the way Stoops likes to build the D. It's going to look like a Stoops defense this year, IMO, and that is going to work in our favor.

I still worry about the offensive line and not really sure about the QB situation, which left me with a lot of questions toward the end of last season. Hopefully it all improves and we can use some clock on the offensive side of the ball and significantly reduce our 3 and outs, mental mistakes, and give Towles a second or two more in the pocket. Should have some nice targets to throw to if he can just make the throws.

Originally posted by hmt5000:

Yes he missed time last season because of a concussion which occurred on a KO returned I believe. Not sure if he had any previous in high school but this is a situation to watch.

This post was edited on 3/23 11:32 AM by Deeeefense

Originally posted by CATFANFOLIFE87:
The seconday was the unit that immediately came to mind for me and no one has mentioned it yet. Edwards and West reportedly looked very good in our first few practices. Tucker was one of our best scout team players as a freshman. McWilson really started turning it on at the end of last season. I know Quinn and Tiller found themselves outclassed at times last year but they were vastly improved from the two years prior soin hoping for a similar jump again this year. McClain and Randolph were our two most talented players in the secondary and I suspect that they've both gotten bigger, stronger, and faster. Randolph should take a big step forward as most players do in their sophomore season. Westry, Walker, Baity, and Beckham are all very solid freshmen that could contribute this year.because of the size and length that they bring and we so desperately need. The secondary is easily the position group that we've recruited the best since Stoops got here and with Stoops personally coaching the corners I expect that to continue and we should see a serious uptick in their development as well. I've only heard rave reviews on the secondary after our first few spring practices
Nice arguments and post but-----

I think QB could well be the most improved position, and here is the reason.

Because they will gain a lot from the improvement at EVERY other position on offense. And the improvement at TE alone should be a big help. I am also optimistic about our new OC hire.

Originally posted by Deeeefense:
Originally posted by hmt5000:

Yes he missed time last season because of a concussion which occurred on a KO returned I believe. Not sure if he had any previous in high school but this is a situation to watch.

This post was edited on 3/23 11:32 AM by Deeeefense
This is why I hope Boom is not on the KO/PR teams. He doesn't need to be taking some cheap shots. We've got guys who can return kicks and make plays. We need Boom 100% this year to make our offense as lethal as possible.

That is worrisome, and I am sure the coaches will try to reduce the chances of him taking unnecessary chances as much as possible. As discussed on a thread on here before, "getting your bell rung" used to be a part of football, but now it is treated very seriously. Hopefully without any football hits for a few months his chances of recurring are a lot lower, but we have lost some promising players in the past, Lendl, Simpson, etc, but not a lot compared to the number playing.

Help me out here, this is a serious question. Does it become easier for a person to get a concussion if that person has had a concussion prior?

Originally posted by Ky grandpa:
I look for a total team improvement. Both lines need to be more aggressive and get at least more blocking and push.
Linebackers need a big jump, so does the qb position. I can't think of any thing but a total team effort.
Go BB
I agree with Ky grandpa. Go Cats!!

Originally posted by mrschwump:

Help me out here, this is a serious question. Does it become easier for a person to get a concussion if that person has had a concussion prior?
Yes. A short and simple answer but that is now the medical consensus.

Linebacker and Wide receivers. Snodgrass and Badet is going to bring some skill.

I also agree with Ky Grandpa. I think we should also see an improvement in the coaching staff this season also. Should be a solid season.

I think our D-ends will be down, but if we go to a full 3/4, then our line backers better improve...... The D-backs and O-line need to be the most improved on the team for us to take more than just baby steps.....

Originally posted by Gary4UK:
I think our D-ends will be down, but if we go to a full 3/4, then our line backers better improve...... The D-backs and O-line need to be the most improved on the team for us to take more than just baby steps.....
Besides defensive end, every other position on our defense will be improved. If our defensive ends play well, our defense will be light years better this year. On the offensive side, the same can be said about our line. If our offensive line plays well, our offense will be light years better.

If Forrest is making plays like this one, the inside LB won't be a liability,

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Two nice plays by Josh Forrest. Heck of an INT, then filling B gap AT the Los. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BBN?src=hash">#BBN</a> <a href="http://t.co/4LepOOTDRe">pic.twitter.com/4LepOOTDRe</a></p>&mdash; todd greenwell (@GreenwellTodd) <a href="">April 12, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What is crazy is that you could say OL, DB's, WR's, or even DL. This just shows how far these coaches have had to bring this program when you have so many units that should, and have to, get better if this team wants to move forward.

It's definitely between DE's, OL and LBers...... The loss of two NFL DE's will be hard to over come, unless they go strictly with a 3/4 defense. If they do that, then the LBer unit it a priority.... The way that our offense was last year, we need protection for the QB, plus, we need to get a yard when we need one..... After saying that, the winner is the OL.... We have to have those guys if we want to score......

OL, OL, OL. IF we can run the ball effectively, it will open up the offense and put the pressure on the other team and give the defense a rest. A rested defense with a lead(with young but better depth) will look a lot better than a gassed defense playing from behind. Very simple formula, but very effective when executed.

wr by a smidge over o-line then lb'ers a close 3rd. i dont count d-line as a big improvement because i thought they got a worse rap then they should because of poor lb'er play most of the season. 3-4 has to have lb'ers come up and make tackles at the los. we didnt have that. if the lb'ers play better this year... the d-line will look better. d-line should be better with technique and gap responsibility this year though.

OL, OL, OL. IF we can run the ball effectively, it will open up the offense and put the pressure on the other team and give the defense a rest. A rested defense with a lead(with young but better depth) will look a lot better than a gassed defense playing from behind. Very simple formula, but very effective when executed.

While I agree with you totally, the OL is the hardest to improve year over year. Unlike other positions where very talented incoming players can make a huge improvement, that is not the case with OLmen. Even the most exceptional high school OLmen is going to be average at best playing against SEC DL and LBers. I'm confident that Schlarman is working the returning OLmen extremely hard, but it takes more than just hard work. It takes raw talent too. And our OL will be having to block SEC DL and Lbers that are not only working extremely hard also but have a lot of raw talent and athleticism. The caliber of OLmen recruits has improved under Stoops, but I think we are still a couple of years away before we can expect to see a SEC caliber OL.

Hope I'm wrong though. I expect to see improvement this year, just not as much as some people are hoping to see. Frankly, I think the key to a more productive offense is being able to successfully stretch the field. Tall and fast receivers (which we have) and a strong armed QB (which we also have) force the DBs to stay back. Which forces the LBers to be worried about the short and middle passes and passes in the flats. If the LBers can't just focus on playing downhill against the run, run blocking becomes much easier.

Nice arguments and post but-----

I think QB could well be the most improved position, and here is the reason.

Because they will gain a lot from the improvement at EVERY other position on offense. And the improvement at TE alone should be a big help. I am also optimistic about our new OC hire.

I agree with your reasoning. For those reasons, I expect a big improvement by Towles this year. But the most improved position will be receiver. With the returning receivers being more experienced, and with Badet, Montgomery, Snodgrass, Greenwood, Gosier, Richardson all coming in, we finally have numbers, size, and quality to run a fast paced spread. Not to mention Long and Conrad. And the improvement at the receiver position will make Towles a much better quarterback. Just as you said.

Will be Quarterback and it shouldn't even be close. New talent and more experience across the board position-wise for UK's offense. Add in two receiving threats in our new TE's, and Towles will have a hell of a year.

ADVERTISEMENT