ADVERTISEMENT

Where would we be without UNCW

No, we played stall ball the whole game, and were late getting into transition, but that might have been because when you shoot well you don't have to hang around the rim. We didn't need to run any motion once Cal got his big man back in there.
Your basketball knowledge is so limited and ignorant it's amazing. NO team in the history of college basketball has played stall ball and still scored 70+ points.

Reactions: GoCats-GoHerd88
And you absolutely have to be trolling right now. ONLY WAGNER wasn't a part of the blowout wins vs. better teams earlier in the season. Are you REALLY saying that we shouldn't be able to beat team like UNCW with all this talent, minus just Wagner? That argument is LAUGHABLE. You and Smooth ought to take a cruise together.
And swordfight naked, surrounded by the light of candles and incense.

Duke always gets the benefit of the doubt when key players are injured when it comes to seeding. Too bad we don’t have someone on the committee to advocate for us.

No, we played stall ball the whole game, and were late getting into transition, but that might have been because when you shoot well you don't have to hang around the rim. We didn't need to run any motion once Cal got his big man back in ther
he was only in for 14 minutes

UNCW was the game we left the offense that was guard-centered and blowing out opponents, and we haven't been back to that offense since. We lost because of Cal.
Facts. This was Cals test game of how to use limited Bradshaw and seeing how posting Mitchell and limiting 3s would work with an over emphasis on forcing drives resulting in a bunch of midrange that we hadn’t taken all year.. We ran an almost identical offense to what we’ve ran for the last 4 seasons….it was slightly similar in the Penn game as well but not as restrictive.

UNC game it opened back up and went back to perimeter oriented basketball and not focusing on drive at all cost and hesitancy to shoot the 3. It’ll be interesting to see if it sticks moving forward or if it’s bc UNC likes to run and UNC has typically brought the best out in Cals teams bc we have a tendency to play the style the other team wants…most of Cals teams are better in the open court.

The test will be when we play a team that slows it down…do we try to push and impose tempo and run an open 4 out offense or do we submit to a rock fight and start over controlling possessions and forcing paint touches and posting Mitchell, Ugo, Bradshaw?

If we being real here, Kentucky was up 6 in the Wilmington game and they had a chance to extend 3 straight possessions, and they couldn’t and on the other end they gave up two terrible offensive rebounds to UNCW, UNCW got back into the game with those 2 offensive rebounds

Last edited:
Reactions: bbncal02
Facts. This was Cals test game of how to use limited Bradshaw and seeing how posting Mitchell and limiting 3s would work with an over emphasis on forcing drives resulting in a bunch of midrange that we hadn’t taken all year.. We ran an almost identical offense to what we’ve ran for the last 4 seasons….it was slightly similar in the Penn game as well but not as restrictive.

UNC game it opened back up and went back to perimeter oriented basketball and not focusing on drive at all cost and hesitancy to shoot the 3. It’ll be interesting to see if it sticks moving forward or if it’s bc UNC likes to run and UNC has typically brought the best out in Cals teams bc we have a tendency to play the style the other team wants…most of Cals teams are better in the open court.

The test will be when we play a team that slows it down…do we try to push and impose tempo and run an open 4 out offense or do we submit to a rock fight and start over controlling possessions and forcing paint touches and posting Mitchell, Ugo, Bradshaw?
Took the words right out of my mouth. 🙃

Your basketball knowledge is so limited and ignorant it's amazing. NO team in the history of college basketball has played stall ball and still scored 70+ points.
It wasn’t stall ball but it was more drive and post oriented than we had previously been playing. Our guards were passing up open 3s to pull up at the freethrow line. We went from taking 30+ 3s and minimal midrange to 15 3s (before the 2 desperation 3s in the final minute) and doubled the amount of midrange we had taken in any game to that point.

It was the same strategy we’ve watched since at least 2020. It isn’t a coincidence it happened the same game we got another big back and Cal was openly stating how we needed to figure out how to play with multiple bigs.

That doesn’t mean we are going to go back to pure bully ball but Cal has said himself after the Miami game that we needed to work on getting it into the post more….the next game was UNCW and that’s exactly what we did. He’s also openly talked about not liking shooting that many 3s and downplaying the “statistics” in the past. So do you not believe Cal?

Fact is he knew we just got Bradshaw back and Ugo was close and Z could happen at anytime. He was tinkering and trying to figure out how we should/could work the bigs into the rotation. Which I think is understandable bc most coaches would want to see if another style that could maximize 3 7fters would work. He likely didn’t think it would cost us a win bc…well, it’s just UNCW. Hopefully he realized that style limits this teams biggest strength and we are best with 1 7Fter at a time and still playing through the 4out guards, not inside out.

For Wilmington:

No Wagner
No Ugonna
No Z
Extremely limited Bradshaw

And we still only lost by 7 and the game was a bit closer than that really.

We still should have won at home but lets not act like UK had anything near a full arsenal because we were injured.
So much season left, we take care of business it will all work out... to early to be making excuses.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Has nothing to do with moral victories, it has to do with not having 4 of our 10 rotation players (when you consider Bradshaw playing sparingly and tentatively during his 1st game back in 6 mth after breaking his foot).
And as far as falling we are #9 in the country Albert and have 2 big wins over then top 10 teams in Miami and UNC.
You sir have made the naughty list.
Oh no! Not the naughty list! I made HH’s naughty list and now my Christmas is ruined! (Even though I said nothing about Cal, lol)

Not making excuses, it was a bad loss.

But, we don’t lose that one with Wagner in the mix, IMHO.

He’s a dawg.

Reactions: NociHTTP
2, no 3 things.

1. You are not a UK fan and need to go back to UL forum.

2. You might want to follow a different sport, this whole you trying to understand basketball isn’t working out at all for you.

3. If you can somehow prove that you’re a woman, I will streak onto the court during the UL and UK game. But I know you can’t because you aren’t.

Now, run along little fella…
I am indeed female, and I'm not going to "prove it". I'm married and am not going to show my photos to anyone besides family and friends on the Internet. It disturbs me that you think you can just ask someone you don't even know to do something like that. You don't have to accept that, but that's a you problem. I've been a UK fan for a very long time, and I find it puzzling that you just assume that others you disagree with are not UK fans. Just because you don't agree with other fans opinions on certain things doesn't equate to them somehow not "understanding the game". Your poor use of logic is concerning. I'm only responding to your post because I chose to look at the posts of someone else I have on ignore, and your post popped up. I suggest you take a seat and reflect on whether the way you treat others here on RR is appropriate or not. Good evening.

You sure come up with outlandish claims, your personal attacks are equally bewildering. Do you even know what stall ball is? I can tell you what stall ball isn't. What we saw after the Kansas game, and up to the UNCW game.

UNCW was the game we left the offense that was guard-centered and blowing out opponents, and we haven't been back to that offense since. We lost because of Cal.

UNCW was a horrible loss at home, even if they are a tourney team and we were without Wagner.

Everything else you typed is nonsense. Our pace of play is currently 16th (76.9 possessions per game) in country and the avg over last 3 games is higher than avg for season. It is faster than we played with Fox/Monk.

Pace of play is 2nd highest in country in terms of Power 5, less than 1 possession per game behind Arizona.

We have one game scoring in 70's all season and that was vs UNCW. We scored 81 vs Penn which is the most points they've given up in regulation game all season; this despite the fact that their pace of play is ranked 198 in country.

Facts. You can come on here with your opinion, but is isn't correct. Maybe you should watch closer. UK is still playing fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: TS1955 and JFCats22
We'd be top 5 I'd say and on track for a solid 2 seed and moving toward a 1 as other teams lose. Still time to get there, but a loss like that really takes a while to climb back up the polls. So losing a game we should have won even without Wagner, imo, we got what we deserved poll wise. We just cannot afford another loss like that or we will be dinged in the polls and back to having to climb back up. I love how this team is growing and learning. It was evident from Kansas to UNC that good growth has occurred.
I love how the best teams we have played we have led the entire game. What I don’t like is letting them come back and win or almost win. We gotta get out and keep our foot on the pedal.

Reactions: jedwar and NociHTTP
UNCW was a horrible loss at home, even if they are a tourney team and we were without Wagner.

Everything else you typed is nonsense. Our pace of play is currently 16th (76.9 possessions per game) in country and the avg over last 3 games is higher than avg for season. It is faster than we played with Fox/Monk.

Pace of play is 2nd highest in country in terms of Power 5, less than 1 possession per game behind Arizona.

We have one game scoring in 70's all season and that was vs UNCW. We scored 81 vs Penn which is the most points they've given up in regulation game all season; this despite the fact that their pace of play is ranked 198 in country.

Facts. You can come on here with your opinion, but is isn't correct. Maybe you should watch closer. UK is still playing fast.

If you wish to have a civil conversation then drop the name-calling and personal attacks. They serve to do nothing good for the conversation. You are conveniently choosing to ignore the fact that running the other way off misses / steals INCREASES the pace, and running out the shot clock only to get nothing out of it just DECREASES the pace and allows the opponent to hang around, get back into it or increase a lead on us. That's people's gripe about this offense that Cal has been running for years and seems to be trying to force onto this group of very talented guards. That's the facts. Our assist totals between the Kansas game and the UNCW game were really, really good. Since then , not so much. Go look it up. Besides, very few people want to watch a plodding offense that spends more time moving the ball away from the basket than toward it. Your stat does not tell the whole story

If you wish to have a civil conversation then drop the name-calling and personal attacks. They serve to do nothing good for the conversation. You are conveniently choosing to ignore the fact that running the other way off misses / steals INCREASES the pace, and running out the shot clock only to get nothing out of it just DECREASES the pace and allows the opponent to hang around, get back into it or increase a lead on us. That's people's gripe about this offense that Cal has been running for years and seems to be trying to force onto this group of very talented guards. That's the facts. Our assist totals between the Kansas game and the UNCW game were really, really good. Since then , not so much. Go look it up. Besides, very few people want to watch a plodding offense that spends more time moving the ball away from the basket than toward it. Your stat does not tell the whole story

No clue what personal attack I made. I stated my opinion of your opinion and based it on stats.

Assists?

15 vs UNC, 16 vs Penn

Reactions: JFCats22
I am indeed female, and I'm not going to "prove it". I'm married and am not going to show my photos to anyone besides family and friends on the Internet. It disturbs me that you think you can just ask someone you don't even know to do something like that. You don't have to accept that, but that's a you problem. I've been a UK fan for a very long time, and I find it puzzling that you just assume that others you disagree with are not UK fans. Just because you don't agree with other fans opinions on certain things doesn't equate to them somehow not "understanding the game". Your poor use of logic is concerning. I'm only responding to your post because I chose to look at the posts of someone else I have on ignore, and your post popped up. I suggest you take a seat and reflect on whether the way you treat others here on RR is appropriate or not. Good evening.

😂😂😂😂😂

The only thing that’s not appropriate is your basketball knowledge being that of a child.

I do not want a pic of you, trust me. 🥴

Reactions: TS1955
No, we played stall ball the whole game, and were late getting into transition, but that might have been because when you shoot well you don't have to hang around the rim. We didn't need to run any motion once Cal got his big man back in there.
Slowing down a fast-moving team means playing a half-court game. It isn’t exactly rocket science.

It wasn’t stall ball but it was more drive and post oriented than we had previously been playing. Our guards were passing up open 3s to pull up at the freethrow line. We went from taking 30+ 3s and minimal midrange to 15 3s (before the 2 desperation 3s in the final minute) and doubled the amount of midrange we had taken in any game to that point.

It was the same strategy we’ve watched since at least 2020. It isn’t a coincidence it happened the same game we got another big back and Cal was openly stating how we needed to figure out how to play with multiple bigs.

That doesn’t mean we are going to go back to pure bully ball but Cal has said himself after the Miami game that we needed to work on getting it into the post more….the next game was UNCW and that’s exactly what we did. He’s also openly talked about not liking shooting that many 3s and downplaying the “statistics” in the past. So do you not believe Cal?

Fact is he knew we just got Bradshaw back and Ugo was close and Z could happen at anytime. He was tinkering and trying to figure out how we should/could work the bigs into the rotation. Which I think is understandable bc most coaches would want to see if another style that could maximize 3 7fters would work. He likely didn’t think it would cost us a win bc…well, it’s just UNCW. Hopefully he realized that style limits this teams biggest strength and we are best with 1 7Fter at a time and still playing through the 4out guards, not inside out.
Why do people keep (incorrectly) stating we were taking 30+ threes per game? It's a totally false narrative that people (dumbly) keep pushing.

NMSU = 29 threes
A&MC = 23
Kansas =
Stonehill
St. Joe's =
Marshall =
Miami =
No clue what personal attack I made. I stated my opinion of your opinion and based it on stats.

Assists?

15 vs UNC, 16 vs Penn
ignore that poster. Clearly has zero basketball knowledge and just spits out nonsense.

What's also not rocket science is that Cal is the one slowing his team down.
Again, slowing a fast-moving opposing team down to force them to do something that disrupts their offense is t rocket science. Coaches do this all the time. Lol

Again, slowing a fast-moving opposing team down to force them to do something that disrupts their offense is t rocket science. Coaches do this all the time. Lol
It also allows the opponent to stay in games and causes leads to evaporate. You must love rock fights. I don't. Most coaches do what is necessary to win games and tournaments. Cal does not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT