ADVERTISEMENT

Where will Murray be ranked in 2015 class? (Rivals)

TriangleUKCat

Junior
Dec 28, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Not really an important or significant question of course.

He's already ranked on other services but where do you think Murray ends up on Rivals?

I say #12.

I honestly don't care at this point where the talking heads rank Murray. I have seen most of these players play in multiple ASGs, and have also watched a fair amount of video. Murray is a dominant player who will blow up as soon as Calipari gets him into the gym in Lexington. Murray is better than Newman. Newman is a great scorer, but Murray is a more versatile scorer with longer arms and more impressive finishing skills. Murray will be a better defender than Newman, Trier, or Blakeney. Admittedly, I don't do this for a living, but I rank Labissiere #1, Murray #3, Briscoe #6, and Matthews #23 in my own rankings. If anyone thinks that makes me a homer, wait and see.

Top 10 for sure. I just really, really hope he's ranked ahead of Newman. Specifically I'd say 5th or 6th. Here'd be my new top 10

1) Skal Labissiere
2) Ben Simmons
3) Jaylen Brown
4) Brandon Ingram
5) Jamal Murray
6) Cheick Diallo
7) Diamond Stone
8) Malik Newman
9) Ivan Rabb
10) Isaiah Briscoe

1, 5, and 10 baby.......

Top 10 for sure. I just really, really hope he's ranked ahead of Newman. Specifically I'd say 5th or 6th. Here'd be my new top 10

1) Skal Labissiere
2) Ben Simmons
3) Jaylen Brown
4) Brandon Ingram
5) Jamal Murray
6) Cheick Diallo
7) Diamond Stone
8) Malik Newman
9) Ivan Rabb
10) Isaiah Briscoe

1, 5, and 10 baby.......
Based on what I have personally seen, I will say
1. Labissiere
2. Simmons
3. Murray
4. Diallo
5. Ingram
6. Briscoe
7. Trier
8. Rabb
9. Newman
10. Brown

How do you not rank him in the top 8? I say 6th is where he will be
On pretty limited knowledge, I would rank him in the Top 10 but not sure Rivals will. I believe he was in the 12-14 range for the 2015 class on here. Is he perceived to be better than Thornton and Trier? Many seem to believe so. Newman? Not sure. Interested to see where they place him, though it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme.

I would rank him in the top 10.

247 has him #10 and Briscoe at #11.

Personally, there aren't two other guards I would rather have in this class.

You guys are ranking him on how good he is right now. These sites like to rank on how good you might become in the future. Yes Murray is better than Rabb, Stone, Diallo, etc etc but they will receive a higher ranking because they are big guys.
It's just like WCS getting drafted as high as he did, it wasn't because of how how many points, boards and assists he put up but he is 7'1". If he was 6'7" he would not be drafted or even in college.

Murray might be the most complete skill player in the class when you rank guys on what they can do with a basketball. Skal is the best big in the class bar none. Simmons is a very special talent as well who can work the floor like a guard but go down low and do his thing. Closest thing I have seen to Magic Johnson yet.
Newman will be ranked higher because he is a tad more athletic than Murray and a volume scorer. He is hit and miss from 3 but his slashing ability is too notch and his handles need work. Murray is a better overall player but Newmans upside is a tad higher but not much. Will Newman reach that?? Most players don't reach their potential especially bigs.

You will always see bigs ranked higher but lower ranked guards are usually the most dominate players in college.
Newman will not be ranked higher than some of the bigs even though he is a better Player than they are simply because he isn't a big.

My guess, Murray will be around 9.

You guys are ranking him on how good he is right now. These sites like to rank on how good you might become in the future. Yes Murray is better than Rabb, Stone, Diallo, etc etc but they will receive a higher ranking because they are big guys.
It's just like WCS getting drafted as high as he did, it wasn't because of how how many points, boards and assists he put up but he is 7'1". If he was 6'7" he would not be drafted or even in college.

Murray might be the most complete skill player in the class when you rank guys on what they can do with a basketball. Skal is the best big in the class bar none. Simmons is a very special talent as well who can work the floor like a guard but go down low and do his thing. Closest thing I have seen to Magic Johnson yet.
Newman will be ranked higher because he is a tad more athletic than Murray and a volume scorer. He is hit and miss from 3 but his slashing ability is too notch and his handles need work. Murray is a better overall player but Newmans upside is a tad higher but not much. Will Newman reach that?? Most players don't reach their potential especially bigs.

You will always see bigs ranked higher but lower ranked guards are usually the most dominate players in college.
Newman will not be ranked higher than some of the bigs even though he is a better Player than they are simply because he isn't a big.

Respectfully. If bigs get ranked higher than guards, why did Zimmerman fall down the rankings despite a couple of solid ASGs, while Briscoe rose? Why did Jeter fall while Trier rose? The answer is impact. Bigs are valued for their potential by the NBA, but 6 of the last 8 overall top NBA picks have been guards or forwards. Guards Rose, Irving, and Wall were overall #1 NBA draft choices, and all 3 have been dominant NBA players. You say Newman is a volume scorer and a tad more athletic than Murray. But Murray blew away Newman when they faced each other in the NHS. Aside from the fact that Murray was the dominant scorer and easily the MVP, Murray easily checked Newman but Newman was not able to check Murray at all. Murray blew right by Newman over and over. That blows away the athleticism argument, although it supports your statement that Murray is the most complete skill player. As a Kentucky fan, I would take Murray over Newman without batting an eye. That doesn't prove Murray will be a better NBA player than Newman, Stone, or Rabb. But I think he will be. Murray is underrated because he is a junior Canadian prep player who only recently reclassified. No 1 has even seen Murray unless they saw the NHS. By contrast, seniors like Newman and Brown were watched many more times on videos and during tournaments arranged all over the country for top high school teams. Murray is a rarity, a super elite player who came out of nowhere, and is not very well known yet. By this time next year, he will be. He picked the right school and the right coach.

Reactions: Wildcat134
I'd almost be willing to bet Murray is going to blow up next year.

Respectfully. If bigs get ranked higher than guards, why did Zimmerman fall down the rankings despite a couple of solid ASGs, while Briscoe rose? Why did Jeter fall while Trier rose? The answer is impact. Bigs are valued for their potential by the NBA, but 6 of the last 8 overall top NBA picks have been guards or forwards. Guards Rose, Irving, and Wall were overall #1 NBA draft choices, and all 3 have been dominant NBA players. You say Newman is a volume scorer and a tad more athletic than Murray. But Murray blew away Newman when they faced each other in the NHS. Aside from the fact that Murray was the dominant scorer and easily the MVP, Murray easily checked Newman but Newman was not able to check Murray at all. Murray blew right by Newman over and over. That blows away the athleticism argument, although it supports your statement that Murray is the most complete skill player. As a Kentucky fan, I would take Murray over Newman without batting an eye. That doesn't prove Murray will be a better NBA player than Newman, Stone, or Rabb. But I think he will be. Murray is underrated because he is a junior Canadian prep player who only recently reclassified. No 1 has even seen Murray unless they saw the NHS. By contrast, seniors like Newman and Brown were watched many more times on videos and during tournaments arranged all over the country for top high school teams. Murray is a rarity, a super elite player who came out of nowhere, and is not very well known yet. By this time next year, he will be. He picked the right school and the right coach.

I guess because I stand on the grounds that I have actually watched most every one of these players in person with my own eyes in games settings. I have actually watched Newman and Murray play each other in a real game. That's the high ground I stand on.

What you have stated I have already stated. Murray is def a top 5 player in playing in college coming out of HS. He is not a high riser dunk in your face type of guy that ratings services love. Newman has much more of a verticle game than Murray, I have seen it. I have seen Newman elevate over 7' guys draining shots. Murray would rather do a dunk and under with a layup to finish the shot. 2 different type of players.

Murray will be a better player for a team in college. Newman might have games where he has 40 points but then have games where he is going to have 8 and struggle while getting 1 assist. Thats Newman's game right now. These guys are banking on him getting more steady and be a guy who can average 25 a game but it might be in the NBA or might not ever happen. At one time he was the top ranked player in the country. He was just physically gifted at a younger age and then others started catching up. Murray will get better but he is a complete player skill wise. Best I have seen in a while.

If you remember as far as rankings goes Poythress got a big boost after his play in the all star games. It all depends on the guy who is doing the ranking and what they think they saw in that brief flash they showed in those games. All you can really tell about those games is if one guy is more athletic than another. Brown did not do well in the all star games but stayed pretty much were he is, Ingram did very well and climbed and showed good length and versatality for a guy his height.

What you saw what Murray did in the all star games, (well more or less the Nike hoop summit game was a more of a real game) Murray did all the time in real games. By him being Canadian he was a hidden talent. When he joined Orageville Prep they were able to show case him on the team with a team that has around 7 Div 1 players. Murray was by far the best player on their team even though Thon was ranked #1 in the class at that time. Thon even knew Murray was better, thats why he always gave up the rock to him when they were in close games.

Cream rises to the top and now its Murray's time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stonewall12
All I know is UK has a full compliment of stud guards now. And guard play rules in March.
Guard play usually rules in March. But not always. Anthony Davis dominated in March. That's why I am thrilled with the inside outside balance we will have next year. As great as our guards will be, we also have Labissiere and Poythress.

Congrats on landing Jamal. That's a killer trio of guards between him, Briscoe and Ulis. Makes the Duke/Kentucky matchup in mid-November that much more interesting. More importantly though, it may well make you guys the favorites next season. Gotta admit it's impressive (and a bit unfair to the rest of the country lol) the way Calipari can just reload every season right after putting so many talented players in the NBA from the year prior.

Congrats on landing Jamal. That's a killer trio of guards between him, Briscoe and Ulis. Makes the Duke/Kentucky matchup in mid-November that much more interesting. More importantly though, it may well make you guys the favorites next season. Gotta admit it's impressive (and a bit unfair to the rest of the country lol) the way Calipari can just reload every season right after putting so many talented players in the NBA from the year prior.

K is doing the same thing now (reloading with monster talent every year), IMHO.

And he's the best coach in the world, IMHO.

Dangerous combination for the rest of us.

Is he really THAT good? That is an honest question. Most of us had never even heard of this kid until a few months ago and now all of sudden he is the next big game changer. I'm not trying to say that I don't think he is good cause I'm thrilled to have him. I'm just honestly ignorant to what kind of player he is and it just seems weird that someone can come out of nowhere and be a top 5 recruit and be in the top 3 in mock drafts

Is he really THAT good? That is an honest question. Most of us had never even heard of this kid until a few months ago and now all of sudden he is the next big game changer. I'm not trying to say that I don't think he is good cause I'm thrilled to have him. I'm just honestly ignorant to what kind of player he is and it just seems weird that someone can come out of nowhere and be a top 5 recruit and be in the top 3 in mock drafts
Troll

K is doing the same thing now (reloading with monster talent every year), IMHO.

Yep. Big thing for next season was getting Thornton to reclassify the way Kentucky was able to do with Jamal Murray. Without him, I'd have had some serious concerns for the point guard spot.

This is one of the more misinformed posts I've ever read on here. If Willie was 6'7" he'd still be a first round pick. Every single team in the NBA would have room for an athletic freak that can guard every position on the floor and is good enough offensively to be a threat. Yet you don't think he'd even get a college scholarship? Based on what?

Also, trying to compare centers and guards is totally ignorant as they have completely different jobs on the court.

Before I get into the rest of that nonsense I want to hear your explanation of how WCS, at 6'7", wouldn't even get a scholly to college? Shew wee, what a mess.

This is one of the more misinformed posts I've ever read on here. If Willie was 6'7" he'd still be a first round pick. Every single team in the NBA would have room for an athletic freak that can guard every position on the floor and is good enough offensively to be a threat. Yet you don't think he'd even get a college scholarship? Based on what?

Also, trying to compare centers and guards is totally ignorant as they have completely different jobs on the court.

Before I get into the rest of that nonsense I want to hear your explanation of how WCS, at 6'7", wouldn't even get a scholly to college? Shew wee, what a mess.

Dude, get off the oxi, WCS would not be drafted if he were 6'7'. Every mid major in America has a 6'7' athlete with not ready for prime time offensive skills.

back on point, I know where I'd put him, I'd rather have murray than anybody on that board besides LaBrassie (sp?) so I'd put him at # 2 and in my mind, we have 1 and 2 and go BLUEEEEEEEEE!

I've been so busy this summer, I've hardly had time to post and hardly had time to get excited, but.... this team is gonna kick butt. If Labrassie (sp?) and Murray had been on the same team at Nike summit that team would have won by 20. They were the best on the floor by far, we got em, plus Poy's athleticism and experience, Two amazin point guards, a Juco combo and Junior big outside shooters, a Junior defensive big beast. Foul trouble could hurt our bigs more than last year, but we are so much quicker, faster, and hard to guard. Wait till you all see Murray putting up 18 ppg average as a frosh. And he's gonna have some 30 point nights to wet your panties. Go blue!

1. Skal Labissiere
2. Ben Simmons
3. Brandon Ingram
4. Cheick Diallo
5. Jamal Murray
6. Jaylen Brown
7. Malik Newman
8. Issiah Briscoe
9. Ivan Rabb
10. Diamond Stone

It may be unfair to the rest of the country minus Duke. You guys are on an impressive run as well. Replacing Jabari Parker with Okafor and the loads of talent coming in next year and all of the high schoolers assumed to be leaning Duke's way. Not to mention cats like Justise Winslow etc.

Yes, he's that good. He wasn't talked about because he was in the 2016 class. He started getting talked about when he made it known that reclassifying was an option.

I don't think he is top five good, as some on here have suggested. He is a very solid 5* though
I think he is the best guard in the class. Not only did he score 30 in this year's world game against USA's best, but he scored 14 in the same game as a sophomore.

Reactions: brianpoe
Murray is a dominant player who will blow up as soon as Calipari gets him into the gym in Lexington

I agree. It's where he winds up in the draft that is more interesting to talk about.

I think he is the best guard in the class. Not only did he score 30 in this year's world game against USA's best, but he scored 14 in the same game as a sophomore.

Yes he was a sophomore but he was 17 years old. Jamal is already 18, he reclassified to the class that is age appropriate for him. Also I believe he only scored 10 points that game.

1. Labissiere
2. Simmons
3. Diallo
4. Brown
5. Ingram
6. Murray
7. Briscoe
8. Stone
9. Rabb
10. Newman?

Newman is overrated. I don't get the hype. He's a stat-filler, but I don't view him as a winner or somebody who's driven to get better. Diallo and Brown are both monsters and IMO generally underrated. I'm tempted to put them over Simmons. Murray is possibly the most polished guard in the class. He's ready right now. Will improve by leaps and bounds because of his work ethic though, and I hope his work ethic is contagious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT