ADVERTISEMENT

Where should Murray be ranked amongst the incoming freshmen?

It depends on how much you factor potential. Based on immediate impact, he'd probably be towards the top. His ceiling isn't as high as some of the other top 5-10 guys though.

the kid played great defence had 6 dimes for dunks 4rebounds and a block to give his team the ball to win the game... murray is the real deal and im glad coach cal pulled that canadian out his hat... skal and murray will go 1 and 2 in the draft

I'd take Skal and Simmons over him. Call it a toss up between he and Brown. Beyond that, you better come with one hell of an argument.

You really think Jaylen Brown would have the same type of impact on a national team if placed in a similar situation?

I don't think there's many guards coming from high school into college IN ANY CLASS, who could play at such a poised and high level where he's literally controlling the game and orchestrating the offense down the stretch at the most critical times in the game.

What Murray has been able to accomplish in this tournament has truly been amazing.

At the Nike Hoop Summit, Simmons, Skal, and Murray looked like the best 3 players. Easily. At the time, it was kind of easy to downplay that, especially with Murray, because it was just an all-star game, and because the International team that all 3 of those guys played on didn't have the depth of talent of the US squad.

But I think the initial impression was right.

Maybe some of the bigger guys in the class will go higher in the draft, and maybe some of the more physically gifted wings will use their athletic ability to have a huge impact (thinking Brown and Ingram), but right now, the best PLAYERS in the 2015 class appear to be Simmons, Skal, and Murray. Simmons and Skal have the size and skill, so I still take them first, but there's no one else that I take ahead of Murray.

My top 10 recruits:

1. Skal
2. Simmons
3. Murray
4. Brown
5. Diallo
6. Ingram
7. Briscoe
8. Trier
9. Rabb
10. Newman

Darryl

The more I watch Murray, the more I think he might be the very best player in this class, including over Skal and Simmons.

He clearly looked like the best player in that Nike Hoop summit and his performance in these Pan Am games has been truly unbelievable for an 18 year old. I've never seen a kid that age perform like this in an international competition involving pros in my life. This kid is special.

Reactions: white10
Top 3 in this incoming class and I have a feeling that the NBA will also love him come draft day, they love PG's up there and that's where he may just play in the NBA. With his game intelligence and composure he could help lead a team to multiple titles in the NBA if he has the right mix around him, he's that good.

He should be top.

Too many at the biggest stage where his performance has been off the chart.

He should be top.

Murray is what I call "a basketball player". By that I mean he isn't an astounding run and jump athlete who plays basketball (Wall, Wilkens,Jordan,James). He is an excellent athlete who has a special amalgam of skills that cause one to ask"how did he do that?"(Magic,Bird, Curry, Duncan,Nash). Murray sees the floor like few people I have watched over my 68 years of closely watching basketball. He makes all of his teammates better.
One pass he made last night was remarkable. He drove down the middle and threw a blind pass over his head directly behind him to a teammate standing wide open at the top of the circle. Keep in mind that Murray was going full speed directly toward the basket 5 feet from it and flipped the ball 20 feet to a wide open team mate. Go look at this pass in the highlights. I have never seen on like it in my life. Only a few people (Magic/Bird) have shown that kind of exceptional court awareness and the skill to capitalize on it. Ben Simmons and Skal may be chosen in front of him in the draft but Murray is at least as good as d'Angelo Russell and Mudiay who went in the top 6 this year.

Reactions: BlueSince92
He should be top.

Murray is what I call "a basketball player". By that I mean he isn't an astounding run and jump athlete who plays basketball (Wall, Wilkens,Jordan,James). He is an excellent athlete who has a special amalgam of skills that cause one to ask"how did he do that?"(Magic,Bird, Curry, Duncan,Nash). Murray sees the floor like few people I have watched over my 68 years of closely watching basketball. He makes all of his teammates better.
One pass he made last night was remarkable. He drove down the middle and threw a blind pass over his head directly behind him to a teammate standing wide open at the top of the circle. Keep in mind that Murray was going full speed directly toward the basket 5 feet from it and flipped the ball 20 feet to a wide open team mate. Go look at this pass in the highlights. I have never seen on like it in my life. Only a few people (Magic/Bird) have shown that kind of exceptional court awareness and the skill to capitalize on it. Ben Simmons and Skal may be chosen in front of him in the draft but Murray is at least as good as d'Angelo Russell and Mudiay who went in the top 6 this year.

Slow down bro.

I think that some people watch Murray play and think that because he's not as springy as say John Wall or Andrew Wiggins that the potential or ceiling isn't as high.

I say look at guys in the mold of CP3 ,Kyrie, Kyle Lowry or steph curry and you can clearly see why NBA GM's are really warming up to this kid. He's just a gamer with swag and instincts that you can't coach.

After watching all the top kids from this class. I would have rated Murray #3, behind Skal (1) and Simmons (2).

Reactions: Brando Mac
Top 5 without question. As many said, Simmons ans Skal ahead of Murray....then you can start the arguement

I love the kid, and there's no guard in the class I would trade for him, especially for the role we need him to fill, but some of you need to slow down a little.

You did this to Harrow (Rondo with a jumpshot) and the Harrisons and Teague and then blasted them all year.

He's a great young player, and the rankings people are throwing out are perfectly accurate, I'm just saying be careful with all this transcendent talk already. There are going to be ups and downs and he's going to take awful shots or have nights where that stepback three is way off or where we see his lack of refinement as a true PG--he's 18.

The talent and skill and ceiling are there, just don't build him up too much. Yes, he can be D'Angelo Russell or Brandon Roy, but we've seen him play less than a handful of real games and to expect that to be the norm is setting the kid up to be a disappointment. And no one handles disappointment worse than we do.

I agree. His coach in Canada said he is Jason Kidd with a Jump Shot...:)

Love this.

I always felt that if Kidd had a consistent jump shot he would have been one of the best players to ever play the game. He was good, but with a jumper he would have been close to Magic, Jordan, James good.

So a player's ceiling is mainly determined by ability to jump high?

Murray is a good athlete. He's not Andrew Wiggins, but he's probably a comparable athlete to guys like Parker, CP3, and Curry - guys who have had there fair share of domination in the league from the point guard spot.

I mean, there's so much emphasis on leaping ability, and then a guy like Lowry or Curry show up and dominate, only to be subsequently met with radio silence from the "long and rangy" crowd.

If a kid has an elite skill set, is a decent athlete, and continues to hone his strengths, I think his ceiling projections are just as realistic as a Jaylen Brown-type who has a limited skill set but possesses other-worldly athleticism.

Last edited:
We will have two of the top five guards coming into college, IMHO.

My top 5 guards: Murray, Trier, Briscoe, Newman, and either Blakeney or Thornton.

Murray is making everyone forget about Briscoe.

Briscoe already plays with a chip on his shoulder, so this will just add fuel to his fire.

You really think Jaylen Brown would have the same type of impact on a national team if placed in a similar situation?

I don't think there's many guards coming from high school into college IN ANY CLASS, who could play at such a poised and high level where he's literally controlling the game and orchestrating the offense down the stretch at the most critical times in the game.

What Murray has been able to accomplish in this tournament has truly been amazing.

This. Point. Blank. Period.

Reactions: WhiteCityCat1
This years team had 8 NBA players.......I think Murray would have been the best player on that team not named Karl Anthony Towns.

No, because that's an incredibly specific hypothetical and not the one we're using to measure here.

I think that, as a prospect, Brown's defense, rebounding, size, versatility, athleticism and slashing make him able to contribute in a variety of ways on both ends of the floor.

He and Murray are too different to do a straight comparison, in the same way comparing Brandon Knight to MKG in "value" would be nearly impossible. I just believe he's one of just a few of players in 2015 that you could reasonably argue should be ranked near or above Murray.

No way 5-10 guys ceiling is higher that Murray, my guess you haven't watch him play.
I've watched all of the Pan Am games so far. I think people are getting a little ahead of themselves if they feel like Murray can consistently do some of these things over the course of a whole season. If he can, more power to him. I'd like a bigger sample size though. I'm not saying don't get excited, but the expectations are already getting a little out of hand.

He's probably the best guard, but we are comparing him to other players who play different positions, and would be contributing in different ways. If some of these other guys reach their ceiling, I can definitely see them being better than Murray ever could be. Obviously that probably won't happen for most of them, but still.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT