ADVERTISEMENT

When was BBN started?

Thanks. When I was reading DA's letter to Cal, Dakari and the fans, I noticed he was using BBN. I didn't think that was a thing when he played here.

I remember "Big Blue Nation" being WAY before social media, but as far as I can remember seeing the letters "BBN" together as something that could be trademarked, for example, was never prominent before 2008-2009 (unless I just missed it).

Perhaps the rise in online activity shortened the phrase to BBN for brevity...but I'm pretty sure the phrase "Big Blue Nation" exceeds Google's age (and index).

2003 espn article with "Big Blue Nation"

Around the time Nike got the keys to all of our marketing/branding.

779-00031325X-FG3-Dark-Grey-Heather

14456.jpg

pDSP1-20872650v750.jpg

831-00031324X-OK1-Varsity-Crimson

pDSP1-20854126p275w.jpg

xl33528unctmc.jpg

UVCT1030.JPG

442441-z_1024x1024.jpg

Originality not really necessary to push product, obviously.

Around the time Nike got the keys to all of our marketing/branding.

779-00031325X-FG3-Dark-Grey-Heather

14456.jpg

pDSP1-20872650v750.jpg

831-00031324X-OK1-Varsity-Crimson

pDSP1-20854126p275w.jpg

xl33528unctmc.jpg

UVCT1030.JPG

442441-z_1024x1024.jpg

Originality not really necessary to push product, obviously.

Nope, we were set to doing all of these in 2000. Learned some great lessons in trademark and patents back in the day.

Big Blue Nation has been around as long as I remember. BBN is due to Twitter hashtags. #BBN

Big Blue Nation has been around as long as I remember. BBN is due to Twitter hashtags. #BBN

That's pretty much what I wanted to know. Was more looking for the answer to how long Big Blue Nation has been around, not necessarily BBN. Sorry for the confusion.

Nope, we were set to doing all of these in 2000. Learned some great lessons in trademark and patents back in the day.

Well, Nike started it's gradual takeover of the UK brand in 1997. By the mid 2000's, about all Nike schools were using some knockoff form of the "Red Sox/Steeler Nation" thing. It's not only Nike schools, but Nike's pretty notorious for it.

It's not just in college. The "Cardinal Nation" thing in MLB is a relatively new attempt as well. And Cardinals fans are notoriously thin skinned about everything ... so be careful telling one they're ripping off the Red Sox.

70f65447ebe19a5dee392508c5b395cf.jpg

Well, Nike started it's gradual takeover of the UK brand in 1997. By the mid 2000's, about all Nike schools were using some knockoff form of the "Red Sox/Steeler Nation" thing. It's not only Nike schools, but Nike's pretty notorious for it.

It's not just in college. The "Cardinal Nation" thing in MLB is a relatively new attempt as well. And Cardinals fans are notoriously thin skinned about everything ... so be careful telling one they're ripping off the Red Sox.

70f65447ebe19a5dee392508c5b395cf.jpg
pppf........shows what you know.

Carinals have been called card nation for YEARS. We didn't rip off anything. The Boston Redsox WISHED they were half the organization of the st. louis cardinals. Ripping off the sox my ass.

Back in the days of Rupp and Joe B. Kentucky fans were called "The Kentucky Faithful."

I never heard Big Blue Nation used until the 2000s. Please don't tell me that Pat Forde coined the term in that linked ESPN article in this thread...

We applied for the trademark back in early 2000s. Wildcatfaithful was very big then and we started a website, in 2002, and called it Big Blue Nation. Later we published the BBN magazine that was published for about 4 years plus we had a TV show on once a week and did the shows at local restaurants and places like Matt Jones does today. We also had an apparel store, BBN Sportswear, on Nicholasville Rd for a couple of years. It was a fun time back then.

Reactions: Jkwo and ipatent
I never heard Big Blue Nation used until the 2000s. Please don't tell me that Pat Forde coined the term in that linked ESPN article in this thread...

No, like I said it's hard to find something google didn't index because they weren't crawling. I think I read that in 1998 they had only indexed 25k sites. Many of the original search engines have been bought out, rolled in or went out of business so it's difficult to get a link to a page that is old and still exists in an unmodified state. LexisNexis might reveal more but I don't have an account.

Ask a question with a thread...and up pops a 3 year old thread with the answer.
Ah, the wonder of the computer age where nothing is lost. Thanks CATofnine.

pppf........shows what you know.

Carinals have been called card nation for YEARS. We didn't rip off anything. The Boston Redsox WISHED they were half the organization of the st. louis cardinals. Ripping off the sox my ass.

You are a moron

ADVERTISEMENT