ADVERTISEMENT

What's your favorite UK season so far in the Coach Cal era?

What's your favorite UK season so far in the Coach Cal era?

• 2009-2010

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • 2010-2011

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • 2011-2012

Votes: 107 70.9%
  • 2012-2013

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • 2013-2014

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • 2014-2015

Votes: 7 4.6%

• Total voters
I voted for 2009-2010. =)

My grandfather was a lifelong UK fanatic. 2009-2010 was the last season he got to watch; he passed away just a few weeks after it ended. He faced a number of hardships over the last ten months of his life, the worst of which being the sudden passing of his wife, my grandmother, his beloved constant companion of nearly seven decades. And so I'll always hold that 2009-2010 squad close to my heart, because watching that team return UK basketball to dominance helped ease the pain of his last ten months here on this planet as much as anything could, and it was the last of many UK seasons that I ever got to watch with my best friend.

Last edited:
2009 - Such an enjoyable season after the BCG era. 2,000 wins. Wall and Cousins were just animals. Good all around season with only 2-3 upsets. But a letdown against WVU.

2010 - Rough SEC play. BS loss to UNC. But an amazing and fun run in the tournament with a few redemption games.

2011 - Title year. UNC showdown win. 38 win season. AD is transcendent. I still feel MKG is under-appreciated and IMO just as big of a reason for for the title as AD. He is my favorite player in the Cal era.

2012 - Hangover year. Lot of missteps. Harrow was tough to watch. Nerlens injury was heart-breaking. NIT.

2013 - Struggled in SEC play, just like 2010. Great run in the tournament. Although I never really felt a connection with this recruiting class for some reason.

2014 - Heart attack season. After 30 straight wins, each game was gut-wrenching, probably not good for our healths. So while 38 wins straight is amazing, I'm not sure "enjoyable" is the right word.

Have to go with 2011. But if you take away the title, I'd say it's a toss-up between 2011 and 2009.

Reactions: JohnnyinShelbyville
Including 12-13 has to merely be troll bait? Is this secretly a way to expose them when they know they shouldn't but can't help themselves from clicking on that year and then the anonymous results are actually revealed? If so pure genius!

I picked the B.Knight year. Unexpected greatness is always fun. That team had everything yet only played 6 guys.

Reactions: Jazzycat
'12- about as successful and drama-free a season can be

i voted 2009-2010, after what we as a fanbase had went through it was like the weight of the world was lifted off our shoulders
that team was the team that woke up the sleeping giant

Reactions: W2R
'12......National Championship, Player of Year, #1 draft pick, and the cherry on top..ended louisville's season.

images

Reactions: DY9ASTY
is anybody really gonna pick anything other than 2011-12?

1st national title in 14 years. Domination from beginning to end. The most awarded and decorated player in UK history. #1 and #2 overall draft picks. 2 more 1st rounders. Beat every team they played.

Yes. Had to vote for 2011-2012. The "high" from that carried me through the unfortunate 12-13 year, and beyond. I feel like I need to watch that championship video/DVD, right now.

It'd be interesting to see how the vote would turn out, if you were leaving off the NCAAT result of each season. Without knowing which team won the NC, and which teams didn't...

I'd have to say a toss-up between 2010 (the Return, with Wall & Co. was so much fun) and 2011 (surprise team, whacks UF at the end, with Jorts leading the way).

2012 was the most enjoyable. wasn't worried about any of the games. tourney included. just like 96. you can't beat domination. and we had everyone outclassed.

in terms of excitement, the 09-10 season was off the hook. new coach, new players, new system, coming off a crap situation with bcg.

and we come out of the gate undefeated with some very nice ooc wins. i just liked ppat already and then cousins came in lol. crazy to think how that may not even be cal's deepest front court, but it was my favorite. it just happened so fast. can't imagine if orton and patterson and cousins were together for more than a season, how good that could have been. wall was a highlight and bledsoe right behind. some of the best in uk history.

I also enjoyed Cal's first team the most. Wall against UNC with his breakaway dunk is one of my favorite plays of all time because that was the moment I knew we were done with the BCG days and a new era was about to begin and it was going to be fun.

I picked 2010-2011. I like my seasons to have a balance of growth, success, and adversity. It makes for better drama and emotional connection. 2011 had all that. 2012 was great but there was a high expectation to deliver and it felt like that was going to happen all the year. From my viewpoint, last year was one of the least enjoyable seasons despite the success not as bad as 2012-2013 but right there next to it.

From a entertainment standpoint no season came close to bringing the excitement Wall and company did. It doesn't matter that they didn't win it, they were still the team that year. I can't even think and would to look up who did win it that season, whoever it was is second fiddle to that UK team.

throwing the the NCAAT result I'd have to go with last season. How could you not vote for a team that won every single game and laid down some historical beatings?

Well, I'm certainly not knocking last year, but I guess it just comes down to expectations. The two I mentioned were 2010 and 2011:

2010 was the Return To Glory. Wall was Wall, Boogie was hilarious, PPat was rewarded for enduring the BCG years with a incredible team, etc. They were just an absolute blast all (regular/SECT) season long... and it was a thrill to know We were Back On Top of the CBB World. They met their expectations.

As for 2011... I guess I'm into the scrappy underdog role (1992 is my favorite team) when all is said and done. Expectations were lowered as Kanter sat on the bench awaiting his fate. Then, his fate was announced, and the expectations dropped another notch. Meanwhile, the kids would've beaten UNCheat if they'd been allowed to breathe on Zeller, they stomp the Loosiers, and they thump UL in Louisville.

The Cats had you on the edge of your seat all year, with a lot of tight games. Though there were narrow losses, they gave the feeling that they were right there on the cusp of putting it all together. Then, they did just that. They took down UF twice in those last couple weeks, including the SECT CG... and I half-expected a statue of Jorts to be announced, LOL! They exceeded their expectations.

Objectively speaking, 2012 is the most successful team in our history. They are like The Beatles in a music discussion. They are so obvious that it's boring. However, like The Beatles I wouldn't say they're my favorite.

Favorite is that 2011 team. That was like watching a colt become a fully realized derby winner. That WVU, ohio st and UNC stretch is probably my favorite of Cal's tenure.

I've almost talked myself into switching to 2010-2011. [laughing]

Maybe I'll wait for the "Which one of Cal's Teams Exceeded Expectations" poll.

Anyway, those Cats were great. They ended the FF drought in thrilling fashion. IMO, they got the shaft in the Con game, with Napier's Flop, Jorts questionable fouls=less minutes, and the missed goaltending call. I think they'd have beaten Butler... but, who knows, that'd probably be the game where Butler hit 20 3-pointers.

I write this knowing I will change zero minds. But it bugs me to see no respect for last year's team, and comments about how it was the worst year outside 2013 of Cal's era.

So here is the case for 2014-2015:

What should we want most out of the Kentucky basketball program, and what will endure?

A championship is the first thing that comes to mind. But also we want a program built on sacrifice and dedication and strong values exhibited by players we can be proud wore Kentucky on their chests.

Taken as a group, I'm not sure there was ever a better collection of kids who maintained what the program is about than last year. The sacrifices to come back and try for a championship. The willingness to embrace from Day One the pressure of 40-0, and all that required. Most impressive, the character to continue to work as a team, giving up minutes, even though they knew it might hurt their professional dreams. How many collections of ten potential NBA draft picks wouldn't have fallen into ugly, destructive feuding? We take that for granted, but holding together and bonding as a team took a lot from the 2015 Cats.

The high profile of this team brought intense press scrutiny. And not only did these kids not crack under it and embarrass the program like PJ Hairston or Lance Thomas or Naadir Tharpe or Chane Behanan. But there was one story after another of visiting sick kids or doing some charity work or respecting what their parents did for them. And always, these kids were grateful to the fans and respectful of the program.

They faced every challenge and made a breathtaking, historic run. They won games in overtime and double overtime. They crushed Kansas and UNC and whipped Louisville on their court. They became the first team in history to go 38-0.

Then they lost a Final Four game to a number 1 seed that was more experienced, had a revenge motive and two top 20 NBA draft picks.

Did everything this team had done, and all the heart and courage and character they showed, evaporate the night of the Wisconsin game? Not for me. The disappointment will always be there. But what the players did for Kentucky demands respect.

I write this knowing I will change zero minds. But it bugs me to see no respect for last year's team, and comments about how it was the worst year outside 2013 of Cal's era.

Taken as a group, I'm not sure there was ever a better collection of kids who maintained what the program is about than last year.

The high profile of this team brought intense press scrutiny. And not only did these kids not crack under it and embarrass the program like PJ Hairston or Lance Thomas or Naadir Tharpe or Chane Behanan. But there was one story after another of visiting sick kids or doing some charity work or respecting what their parents did for them. And always, these kids were grateful to the fans and respectful of the program.

.what the players did for Kentucky demands respect.

Great post! Everything you wrote is spot on. I don't think there are any "true" fans that are trying to disrespect last year's team.

I think there's just some splitting of hairs about favorite "team" and favorite "season" and favorite "players" in this particular poll. Since it's "season" in the title of this subject---the 2012 NC year is going to come way out on top, naturally.

Sports are about the journey for me, not the destination. Having said that, I'd go with last year as they had a hell of a journey despite the destination not being what we all hoped it would be.

Closest piece of drama was Jones "disappearing" against IU and for two or three more games... So much manufactured BS.

Just think, without Jones' dislocated (I think) finger, the Loosiers don't get those Wat-Shot popcorn boxes and jazzy paintings!

Reactions: TheThack
throwing the the NCAAT result I'd have to go with last season. How could you not vote for a team that won every single game and laid down some historical beatings?
Jason you are on a roll with both this response and the previous one. Season as a whole, how do you not pick an NCAA championship year. Tournament out of the mix, how do you not pick an undefeated season? The 2009-2010 would be next because of the great personality in Boogie, the great play in Wall, Bledsoe being a surprise, Patterson sticking around... had they only made the Final 4... Then of course how can you not enjoy Knight and 2010-2011? A runner-up year in 2013-2014 was a great end but the season itself was often painful.

beyond this thread there is this narrative taking root (partly from trolls and fakes) that last year was some epic failure, something best forgotten. There needs to be a counter-narrative to that.The 2015 Cats should be celebrated.

You can count on me to do my part. ;)

I don't live in UK territory... but everyone around here definitely knows I'm a Cats fan. I think most expected me to piss and moan (I am not above it) about the season, but I've stated only positives about the 2015 team. I admit that I wanted them to win the NC, of course, but I'm glad there'll be a FF banner for them... and Wisconsin was a worthy foe.

Someday, I'll bring my kids to Rupp and I'll proudly point out the 2015 FF Banner and tell them about the guys on that team. I hope I remember to say half of the things you wrote in your wonderful summary.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
The Wall team and the AD show were two teams that were just a joy to watch play because of mind blowing displays of athleticism. Rival teams would talk about how fun those guys were to watch. Wall would dunk when you thought there was no way he was going to dunk it and AD just did things nobody has ever seen a college player do. So those two teams were special regardless of the Wall team not winning it all or the AD team getting it done. They were fabulous outside all of that.

I don't understand why anyone would consider that disrespecting our other great teams if we enjoyed one a little moreso than another.

I picked 2010-2011. I like my seasons to have a balance of growth, success, and adversity. It makes for better drama and emotional connection. 2011 had all that. 2012 was great but there was a high expectation to deliver and it felt like that was going to happen all the year. From my viewpoint, last year was one of the least enjoyable seasons despite the success not as bad as 2012-2013 but right there next to it.

there's truth to what you're saying. however in '12 you have to admit, not even looking back, but how you felt before the tip of those games. we were so good you knew we had to play like absolute crap to lose. iu for example is famous as both jones and davis did nothing. one of course handicapped by bs officiating. the vandy game again. we didn't want to win as much as them at the end for extremely obvious reasons, and everyone watching knew it. we had the overall number one locked up a week prior is what happened. if they kept it close we were psychologically going to fold. and they barely kept it close. point is, you literally could not score on that kentucky team the final minutes of a game in which we were engaged, and in the tournament that was every game. hard to lose when you have that ability.

yes, we expected a championship. and that was the pressure. the same as last season. but last year's team was only partially battle tested (experience is another thread) as a group. poy went down, and wcs did the year before. only the harrison's were there both years. but in '12 we had lamb and jones and miller all come back. big difference. you throw two scrubs out there and that's a basketball team. nothing against the harrisons of course. like this year we return poythress, lee, ulis. that's actually a lot of big game experience.

overall the '12 team was just not losing. just like in '96, or '78. it gets to a point sometimes in this program where the trial and error ends and the title gets almost written in stone, and the season becomes a backwards countdown. '12 was more of a slow coronation. can be annoying but nothing like last year. that was pressure packed, fun as hell too. but i agree with you mostly otherwise. you feel a connection with those '11 guys. i picked '09-'10 because it had an excitement to it. it was new, it was successful, and it was going somewhere. it also had multiple nba superstars on it, and some all-time fan favorite personalities. although jorts is going to be hard to beat in the the long run lmao. if that team won it, it'd be the first pick here i bet.

After suffering through the Gillespie years, I liked all except the nit year of course, still think we would have got in the dance if Noel didn't get hurt, stupid basketball goal:popcorn:

is anybody really gonna pick anything other than 2011-12?

1st national title in 14 years. Domination from beginning to end. The most awarded and decorated player in UK history. #1 and #2 overall draft picks. 2 more 1st rounders. Beat every team they played.

Same here 2011-2012!!

2009-2010 was just a magical year, outside of the ending.We went from the lowest to having Wall and company. We were THE story of the year. It was insane. From a pure excitement standpoint, nothing will beat that year for me. We were finally back and better than ever.

As a whole, this has been next level crazy. I always think about how if Cal is here 6 more years, goes to 4 more Final 4s and wins 1 or 2 more championships, that's just legendary. It's entirely possible too.

2009- 2010 Great and fun year that put Kentucky back on the map. Had a strong feeling that we weren't going to win it all because our streaky shooting and inexperience as was the case.

2010-2011 A fun but frustrating regular season. Thought Brandon Knight was spectacular and a bit critized for not being John Wall. Unbelievable run from the SEC tourney on.. The Ohio State and North Carolina games will be one of the best memories of the Cal era. Knight and Jorts were spectacular on that run.

2011-2012 Simply the best, from the beginning to the end of the season. Had the best player in the country along with the best shooter (Lamb) and the best sixth man. People complain as did Cal about Teague but every game that I've watched, he was light years better than Harrison. An amazing season and often wonder if Cal will win another one.

2012-2013 Had to replace 95% from the previous year in scoring. No more to say..

2013-2014 The most frustrating regular season of the cal era due to not performing to the level possible. The tourney run will be one of the most enjoyable in history. Looking back on it, it is unbelievable how they got to where they did without Cauley-Stein. It's like a dream or a hollywood movie. Should have beaten UConn in the final. Shabazz experience was the difference in the game.

2014- 2015 Unbelievable run. The Wisconsin game will always haunt me and will leave me feeling like this group underachieved. Would much rather have lost in the regular season than to end the season like we did. As a fan, I'm still questioning if Cal can win one more for UK'

2009- 2010 Great and fun year that put Kentucky back on the map. Had a strong feeling that we weren't going to win it all because our streaky shooting and inexperience as was the case.

2010-2011 A fun but frustrating regular season. Thought Brandon Knight was spectacular and a bit critized for not being John Wall. Unbelievable run from the SEC tourney on.. The Ohio State and North Carolina games will be one of the best memories of the Cal era. Knight and Jorts were spectacular on that run.

2011-2012 Simply the best, from the beginning to the end of the season. Had the best player in the country along with the best shooter (Lamb) and the best sixth man. People complain as did Cal about Teague but every game that I've watched, he was light years better than Harrison. An amazing season and often wonder if Cal will win another one.

2012-2013 Had to replace 95% from the previous year in scoring. No more to say..

2013-2014 The most frustrating regular season of the cal era due to not performing to the level possible. The tourney run will be one of the most enjoyable in history. Looking back on it, it is unbelievable how they got to where they did without Cauley-Stein. It's like a dream or a hollywood movie. Should have beaten UConn in the final. Shabazz experience was the difference in the game.

2014- 2015 Unbelievable run. The Wisconsin game will always haunt me and will leave me feeling like this group underachieved. Would much rather have lost in the regular season than to end the season like we did. As a fan, I'm still questioning if Cal can win one more for UK'

I have to agree. I'm one of the biggest Cal "defenders" on this board to the Cal HATERS, but one has to wonder at some point if not last year then when. Yes, injuries struck for the 3rd straight season, but even without Poy I feel that team should have won it all. That said, it was a lot of bad luck, bad execution, AND bad officiating that cost UK the Wisconsin game. I do not think a loss in the regular season would have made a difference, except MAYBE on the latter with officiating. I'm not talking conspiracy, but some of the calls made down the stretch in Wisconsin's favor were borderline at best, bad calls at worst. If Coach Cal cannot win multiple titles at UK..I have to wonder if anyone other than the legendary Baron ever will. Cal and Pitino have come so close so many years, but always have fallen short except for their most dominant all around team each. Of course, I think most of us agree that DA in 97 most likely nets a title, but who knows with chemistry and such. I'd probably say the same thing about this past year's UK team. Cal and Pitino should have had 2 titles each in their 6 years at UK, but the breaks of the game did not allow it. (I am not counting Pitino's first 2 years against him, not his fault we could not go dancing and the program was in shambles).

I enjoyed the 09-10 season. We were longing for that style of play and the superstars that were on that team. It had bee wasaay too long fo us fans . A whole new class of,talent we hadn't seen in years. Silencing the haters that said it wouldn't work blah blah.

2011-12 was a relief. The games got stressful. Our bracket was tough as always. All,the was down to the last few minutes of Kansas game were stressful.

2013-14 tourney run was one of the best stretches. Stressful but enjoyabLe

My favorite regular season is 2014-2015 since they never lost a regular season game. My favorite post season run is the 2013-2014 team. They had a poor finish to the regular season but turned it around with a great NCAA tournament run.
My vote went to the champions though. They had the best regular season/ post season combo. i don't need to go into depth since we all know what the seasons were like.

ADVERTISEMENT