ADVERTISEMENT

Whatcha rockin for home stereo?

In the early 90's, I had an audiophile friend who bought the best shit out there. Tens of thousands of dollars on exotic equipment, trading in speakers like every 6 months...always reading about new stuff.

All this, to hear the depth his Phil Collins and Mike & the Mechanics discs had to offer.

^That's funny. A similar story......back in college I had this crappy apartment. The whole building was made of cinder block....kinda like a prison....which is how most of us referred to it as. "Hey, I live up in cell block 4A." Well, the person in cell 4B had a really crappy stereo system.......but it was incredibly loud. Loved to listen to Bobby Brown's "It's my prerogative" on repeat from the hours of 12:00pm to 11:30am at very high levels. Since, one of my majors at the time was Psychology, I just figured I was part of an experiment.......with some sadistic researchers sitting around taking bets on whether 4A or 4C was going to crack first.

All my stuff is a good 20 - 25 years old. I have Adcom amp, pre-amp, tuner, and CD player. I have a Technics direct drive turn table. My speakers are Thiel. I want to say they are CS1 or CS2. I can't really remember the specific model on any of the components. Unfortunately, I don't get to listen to it as much as I would like anymore.

Thiel speakers were made in Lexington at one time. They were very coveted back in the day by people like me that couldn't afford them. Bet they still sound great.

^That's funny. A similar story......back in college I had this crappy apartment. The whole building was made of cinder block....kinda like a prison....which is how most of us referred to it as. "Hey, I live up in cell block 4A." Well, the person in cell 4B had a really crappy stereo system.......but it was incredibly loud. Loved to listen to Bobby Brown's "It's my prerogative" on repeat from the hours of 12:00pm to 11:30am at very high levels. Since, one of my majors at the time was Psychology, I just figured I was part of an experiment.......with some sadistic researchers sitting around taking bets on whether 4A or 4C was going to crack first.

:joy:

Thiel speakers were made in Lexington at one time. They were very coveted back in the day by people like me that couldn't afford them. Bet they still sound great.
Yes, they still sound amazing. I knew they were made in Lexington; I want to say on Nandino Boulevard, but I'm not sure. I believe the founder of the company was a UK graduate. When you say they were made in Lexington at one time, do you mean they are no longer made there?

Thiel speakers were made in Lexington from their beginning up until just a couple years ago. Jim Thiel, with a PhD in physics from UK, started the company back in the 70s (if I remember correctly). Last I know, yes, they were on Nandino Blvd on the north side of Lexington, not far from Lexmark/IBM.

But Jim passed away from cancer a couple of years ago, and his business partner then sold the company to another ownership group. The new group moved the company, I think to Tennessee, and brought in a new head speaker designer who had worked at PSB.

Pioneer Elite and Definitive Tech towers with 12's and the center with some low grade Polk rears. Perfect for movies and blaring music but there are definitely better sounding if you're a snob.

Definitive Technology surround system Cinema Pro 600 with powered sub. Multi zone Pioneer receiver and 65inch Panasonic plasma tv. .. Great combo.. Speakers are fabulous.

Probably missed my post several months ago but I bought one of the last Panny Plasmas the VT60. I looked them up after they discontinued them and people were paying triple for them through Amazon. I was about to box it up and list it but it's perfect for movies and sports so keeping it until it dies.

If I think of it tomorrow, I'll get my Sansui 5 way speakers out of my closet. I purchased 'em new in January, 1984 from the PX in Gelnhausen, Germany.

Here was my amp back in the day, you rookies:

sansui_a-909.jpg

It would kick off the breakers in a typical German wired house. A mutual friend of mine still owns this exact unit. Why? Because I sold it and left it there. Talk ish about glass breakers. I own you.

ADVERTISEMENT