ADVERTISEMENT

What Year Was This?

SanAntonioCat

Senior
Oct 1, 2001
The football Wildcats found success with a 7-3 record, their best in 34 years. They were led from the depths of SEC football in what was thought would never happen.

1946 is correct. That was Paul Bryant's first year with a team that went 2-8 the previous year (end of WWII). I knew a neighbor and good friend who graduated in 1940 from UK. He often said the football team "wasn't much good then either." UK losing football history goes back to at least 1912 when we were a charter member of the Southern Conference, that became the SEC.

One does wonder how the university could allow decades of losing continue up to contemporary times. Think Mark Stoops has his work cut out for him? Remember the infamous "graveyard of coaches" located at Stoll Field and later CWS?

Have we been our own worst enemy? Have we been so indoctrinated to losing, we have lost all hope?

That is the blueprint of UK football in the 20th and now 21st century. That blueprint permeates this coming season. Still we hope and pray someone will finally deliver us from football hell.

Once again, I and legions of my fellow fans look to this young coach to deliver us to the promise land of a New Year's bowl and respect as we continue down the glory road basketball paved for us.

Reactions: JohnnyinShelbyville
It's sickening to think about the coaching losses my two favorite teams have had (Cats and Bengals).

Losing the Bear should never have happened. Passing over Howie should never have happened.

The Bengals essentially gave Bill Walsh away because of Paul Brown's ego. Years later, they passed on Bill Cowher for David Shula.

Unreal luck (LOL).

GBB!!!

1946 is correct. That was Paul Bryant's first year with a team that went 2-8 the previous year (end of WWII). I knew a neighbor and good friend who graduated in 1940 from UK. He often said the football team "wasn't much good then either." UK losing football history goes back to at least 1912 when we were a charter member of the Southern Conference, that became the SEC.

One does wonder how the university could allow decades of losing continue up to contemporary times. Think Mark Stoops has his work cut out for him? Remember the infamous "graveyard of coaches" located at Stoll Field and later CWS?

Have we been our own worst enemy? Have we been so indoctrinated to losing, we have lost all hope?

That is the blueprint of UK football in the 20th and now 21st century. That blueprint permeates this coming season. Still we hope and pray someone will finally deliver us from football hell.

Once again, I and legions of my fellow fans look to this young coach to deliver us to the promise land of a New Year's bowl and respect as we continue down the glory road basketball paved for us.

:pimp:

It's sickening to think about the coaching losses my two favorite teams have had (Cats and Bengals).

Losing the Bear should never have happened. Passing over Howie should never have happened.

The Bengals essentially gave Bill Walsh away because of Paul Brown's ego. Years later, they passed on Bill Cowher for David Shula.

Unreal luck (LOL).

GBB!!!
Too bad the Cats didn't hire Claiborne to replace Collier rather than Bradshaw.

Erik, you are absolutely right. If, Bernie Shively wasn't determined to hire the next "Bear Bryant" and pick Charlie Bradshaw over a young and rising coaching star in a then 32 year old Jerry Claiborne, UK would have been competitive in the SEC for years.

Unreal luck (LOL).

GBB!!!

Mike Brown should be tried in court for the way he single-handily destroyed the Bengals.

Mike Brown is truly amazing. He's been the Cincinnati "GM"/owner for 25 years now. I have as many playoff wins as he does. Just sickening what he did to the franchise.

GBB!!!

Too bad the Cats didn't hire Claiborne to replace Collier rather than Bradshaw.

THIS ! If UK had hired Jerry Claiborne in 1962 at age 35, the entire course of UK football would look completely different.....for the better !!

ADVERTISEMENT