ADVERTISEMENT

What seed would UK have to get to NOT be close to home in the opening rounds?

LineSkiCat14

All-American
Aug 5, 2015
I have my tickets for the Albany region this year, Session 1 on Friday, both early games. Normally, Kentucky would play close to home in the opening round.. but now that were out of the running for a 4-seed or better, I'm curious where they might land.

As what point does a team lose regional preference, and instead just gets whatever location is left? Or does it not really matter and Kentucky will get close top home unless in an extreme circumstance?

Obviously I'd be excited to see Kentucky play in my home town, as we haven't had a region since 2003, but I also need to start prepping and making plans around this as well (No tickets for session 2 or Sundays game, Friday is St. Pattys day, etc).

Also, first round on me if they play in Albany!

Domestics only

Last edited:
I think Uconn will be put in the Albany area, but not sure we'd be paired with them as I don't see Kentucky going lower than a 10-seed now.

I've also heard rumors that Albany won't get a top seed simply because there aren't many great teams in the Northeast this year.. so we will likely have 5-9 seed games.

I’m projecting that we end up in the 8/9 game. That probably means Birmingham with 1 seed Houston waiting, or Columbus with Purdue down the line.

That’s assuming they don’t rematch us with a Kansas, or UCLA if they sneak onto the 1 line.

There’s a better chance of us ending up somewhere weird if we climb to a 5 seed, imo.

I’m projecting that we end up in the 8/9 game. That probably means Birmingham with 1 seed Houston waiting, or Columbus with Purdue down the line.

That’s assuming they don’t rematch us with a Kansas, or UCLA if they sneak onto the 1 line.

There’s a better chance of us ending up somewhere weird if we climb to a 5 seed, imo.

Oh yeah the 8/9 seed could trip all this up, as the winner plays the 1-seed which has to be in their backyard.

Thankfully, I think Kentucky is looking to move past that 8/9 death trap. Although we still have work to do.

Oh yeah the 8/9 seed could trip all this up, as the winner plays the 1-seed which has to be in their backyard.

Thankfully, I think Kentucky is looking to move past that 8/9 death trap. Although we still have work to do.
We literally never get a 6/7 and I’ll be surprised if that changes. I’m guessing it’s either 8, or go on a great streak and get to 5.

Just looking at things I bet Kentucky ends up in Denver, and Texas will be the two Kentuckys gets if that ends up happening

What makes you guys think Denver?

There's only two west coast-ish regions, Denver and Sacramento. I get the sense that Denver, like Albany, is going to be the type of region that has the misfits. The 5 through 9 seeds. Where as Brimingham, Columbus, and Des Moines will have their fill of top seeds that are near by.

Latest bracketology has Kentucky in Albany

.. and I only have tickets for the first two games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT