ADVERTISEMENT

What makes a good coach?

Jan 27, 2023
Or rather, what makes a good Division I level coach?

I think it’s safe to say that every guy coaching at the DI level has a lifelong commitment to basketball. They likely played at some point, maybe for an excellent coach or two. They likely worked under other good coaches. Their lives are committed to basketball. Why is it that only a few them can consistently compete at the highest level? And why is it that some of them completely flame out when they have such robust backgrounds to be successful?

The answer is swag. Pure uncut, unadulterated SWAG!

5zmtg9.jpg

Knowledge, vision, ENERGY, passion, compassion, empathy, assertiveness, creativity, willingness to realize you don’t and can’t know everything and surround yourself with people who fill the right holes, challenge you, complement you, and share your aforesaid vision. Oh yeah, recruiting helps.

When I was young, I coached my kids in baseball. I was actually a good baseball player growing up in the country, had some opportunities to play college baseball, but not at good schools. So, not long after I started coaching, I realized I was a bad coach, because while I love in game coaching, and was pretty good at it, I was horrible at teaching the kids how to get better. They were young, granted, but I couldn't make them listen to me like I could my own kids, and I hated it. Especially dealing with parents. People that think parents being a problem is a new generation thing are wrong. They were bad in the 60s and 70s too. No different than being a good teacher, you have to learn to relate to each kid on different levels. One problem I've seen in coaches, and fans too, is that people think you have to be hard nose and treat everyone equally. That doesn't always work. Some kids have shit going on that you have to realize. Everyone is not the same. So, to answer the question of what makes a good coach, my opinion is that it is someone that can get to each kid, on some level, and get the absolute best that the kid can produce.

Because not every coach is an ego
Maniac and likely megalomaniac. To be at the top of the profession you’ve gotta be a pretty bad person, at least on the way up.

Coach K
Bob Knight
Calipari
Bill Self
John Wooden
Rick Pitino
Roy Williams

These are not the “good men” in the same sense as your granddaddy. The best are usually the most insanely corrupt and morally bankrupt men in the profession. If they can handle that kind of pressure to that degree and survive in the college basketball snake pit over decades, they’re probably the biggest snake in the pit.

The ones that constantly try and convince people they’re not corrupt are my favorite. They’re the ones that have the personalities which have made the sport what it is.

That Cal…..

Reactions: Ky_Bred_Cat
Recruiting is certainly not all of it, but is definitely a big part … still gotta coach ‘em !!

There’s a fine line that separates the best from the average. Hard to pinpoint.

Every coach can draw up plays.

Some coaches are excellent strategists.

Some are super motivators.

The best are both.

But no matter what kind of coach they are they are not successful without players.

The best horse trainers in the world do not win without good horses.

Look at Geno at UConn. He’s the same great coach he always was.

But he’s not getting the same players as when he was dominating the sport.

There’s still a difference. Al Maguire always said, “I don’t coach basketball, I feel basketball”

And that’s the secret sauce. Do they feel it in the moment and act accordingly in the moment?

It's actually a very good question.

It's easier to identify what makes a bad coach vs. what makes a good one.

Lol, I think that just makes you a coach. "Whatever you can" also didn't make Eddie Sutton a good coach.
Eddie Sutton was a GREAT college basketball coach. He had his share of demons, as does each of us, and his demons were more publicly known, over time, than most. His demons demonstrably interfered with the administration of the U.K. program, but I don't think his demons ever adversely affected the quality of the basketball team that Sutton put on the floor. I repeat ... Eddie Sutton was a GREAT coach.
Just MHO, of course. Go 'Cats !

Vision.
He needs to know what kind of offense and defense he will run AND how to teach that system and how to recruit to that system and he still needs to have the tactical flexibility to change some things when his team is short of the type of talent needed to run his system.

Sutton was a great coach. He had other problems. But coaching was not one of them.

Failing to see the point...the poster I responded to stated "do whatever it takes". Doing whatever it takes doesn't make you a good coach.

Eddie Sutton was a GREAT college basketball coach. He had his share of demons, as does each of us, and his demons were more publicly known, over time, than most. His demons demonstrably interfered with the administration of the U.K. program, but I don't think his demons ever adversely affected the quality of the basketball team that Sutton put on the floor. I repeat ... Eddie Sutton was a GREAT coach.
Just MHO, of course. Go 'Cats !

Not disputing his XO ability. However, part of being a coach is institutional control. Nearly getting your program the death penalty is a bit of a black eye on the resume...

It really just comes down to wins and how long you can keep producing them. If you can add in two, or more, championships, your legendary.

It’s real simple. Can read the game and make quick adjurlstments. Good coaches value every possession and the players demonstrate solid fundamentals

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT