ADVERTISEMENT

What is your favorite public golf course in KY

Can always count on Adam & his 1-2 rounds per year to give expert golf advice.

WASIOTO WINDS IS THE BEST COURSE ALSO PLAY MIZUNOS NOTHING ELSE COMES CLOSE IF YOU WANT TO REALLY SOLIDIFY YOUR GAME.

Ok thanks. Go shave now.

Is Triple Crown in N Ky public? Thought it was a really nice course the one time I played there. Will go back again next time I am up there and have the time.

Old Silos is never in terrible shape as far as the course itself goes. The problem is the bunkers are always in terrible shape. They've let a few grow in over the years but it still has way too many, probably 75-80 left of the original 90+. And the course doesn't do enough business I guess to keep up the maintenance on that many.

Haven't played it in a long time but always thought StoneCrests in Prestonsburg was a great course.

Anyone made the trek to pineville for Wasioto Winds? Worth the drive from Lex?

Yes. Beautiful course. Lots of water.

1511006.jpg

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
We decided to go to Cassell Creek on Sunday just to hit some balls around...it's laughable. Basically a cow pasture with greens on it.

Is Boone Links still decent? And Lafayette / Falls of the Rough used to be a good test but I think its closed now...?

Anyone made the trek to pineville for Wasioto Winds? Worth the drive from Lex?

First started playing on the old 9 hole course at Pine Mountain that later became Wasiota. WW is very nice with some very pretty holes but when you build a course in a valley through a flood plain you're gonna have issues. The 18 fairway floods all the time and large chunks of the course have had to be frequently repaired because of flooding. The area is lucky to have a course that nice but it doesn't get a ton of play.

I play Wasioto Winds about 2-3x per yr when my wife makes us head up to the holler to see the in-laws. I can honestly say that it's a fantastic way to get out of spending a day with your mother-in-law. But it's a very pretty course.....but not always kept up perfectly. A few of the holes are lined with trees that block the sun quite a bit......this leads to poor fairway growth in some areas. Also, almost the entire course was underwater a few months ago due to the rain.....so, I've only played it once this yr (before the flooding). They're fairly use to the flooding in the area, so it should be back in shape.

I also like Houston Oaks. It's a course that you have to think a little while you play. It's not just "wide open, grab your longest club, and kill it" type of course.

I played Old Silo last yr on one of the Golfnow bargain buys. It has really good potential, but not very well upkept. Many of the famed bunkers were allowed to grow in......and the ones that weren't were so compacted and hard.....I walked across one bunker and barely left footprints.

Gibson Bay is a decent course.....but usually heavy traffic. Best to play during a wkday.

Have any of you played Dale Hollow Lake?

Dale Hollow is tough no matter which tees you play. Severe elevation changes, club selection is tough. Have to play it a few times to learn it. I am speaking in terms of average golfers, some of the PROS on here would shoot under par for sure.

Oldham Co CC is my favorite. Always plays fast and in great shape. After 12pm pricing is great as well.

Heritage Hills is a great course as well. Playing Cherry Blossom Saturday...cant wait.

Get to play Louisville CC Thursday. Have never played there but can only imagine it being a great course.

Cherry Blossom is a great public course. Can play it for around 25 bucks on a weekday afternoon. It's a real challenge when they are getting ready and right after the hooters tour comes to town.

Can't say I've played a ton of courses around the state. Of the ones I have I'll say...
Houston Oaks
Heritage Hill
Cherry Blossom

Haven't played it in a bit, but Eagle Ridge in Louisa was a helluva track a couple years ago. Pretty sure it's one of the state parks courses now.

First started playing on the old 9 hole course at Pine Mountain that later became Wasiota. WW is very nice with some very pretty holes but when you build a course in a valley through a flood plain you're gonna have issues. The 18 fairway floods all the time and large chunks of the course have had to be frequently repaired because of flooding. The area is lucky to have a course that nice but it doesn't get a ton of play.
The old nine hole course was where I learned to play golf. We used to play 27 holes every Sunday. Only played Wasiota once and didn't care much for it.

I guess my favorite course in our area is Crooked Creek in London. I understand it has reopened under new management.

The old nine hole course was where I learned to play golf. We used to play 27 holes every Sunday. Only played Wasiota once and didn't care much for it.

I guess my favorite course in our area is Crooked Creek in London. I understand it has reopened under new management.

Nothing like intentionally hitting a duck hook on #1 into the net and have it ricochet down the fairway.

Nothing like intentionally hitting a duck hook on #1 into the net and have it ricochet down the fairway.
That is not as bad as what I did there. There were 20 waiting to tee off and when it came my turn, I stepped up hit a hook that hit one of the poles holding the net dead center. The ricocheted back and through the crowd and you should have seen everyone scattering. I took a mulligan.

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
Anyone familiar with Raven Rock in Jenkins?
Haven't played it in a few years but really enjoy it now that it's 18 holes. It has an island/peninsula green as well. Can get a bit narrow on a few holes but it's fairly priced and has come a long way from the 9-holer it used to be.

raven-rock-golf-course-hole-14.jpg

I always thought the U Club would be a really nice public course . . . if you took the best 18 out of the two tracks. Several just terrible holes on each course, but has some really good holes as well. For example, I really like the two or three on the very back of the property on the creek (on Wildcat, I think), plus no. 15 (I think) on Big Blue is one of the toughest par 4s I know of, but still a really great hole, with a terrific green complex.

Grew up sneaking on TCGC's 2nd hole

Kearney and U club are good. Widow's Watch and Old Silo. Gibson Bay.

One of my first times drinking (14 or 15) was on Mason Headley. Filled up a mason jar of brown from dad's cabinet and played under the lights with two friends that had done the same. Friend's mom drove us home and had to smell us but said nothing. Got pretty sick later on... Good times.

Reactions: cawoodsct
Grew up sneaking on TCGC's 2nd hole

Kearney and U club are good. Widow's Watch and Old Silo. Gibson Bay.

One of my first times drinking (14 or 15) was on Mason Headley. Filled up a mason jar of brown from dad's cabinet and played under the lights with two friends that had done the same. Friend's mom drove us home and had to smell us but said nothing. Got pretty sick later on... Good times.
Did you guys usually finish TC or just play a few?

Played it about 2 weeks ago and thought it was ok. Blind shots and some narrow landing areas.
Just felt like to me it could have used some more acreage. Not sure I would drive all the way out there again to play it.
Thanks. Playing a scramble up there next weekend and been so long since I played it I can't remember much about it.

Playing the Yatesville Lake course tomorrow with a client. Eagle Ridge. Anyone play it recently?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT